Little Chief Smoker Not Hot Enough...... :( Help!

TelStar26

I started smoking a batch of salmon yesterday. After a 8 hour smoke it wasnt even close to cooked. I put it in the fridge over night.
I left 90% of the fish in the fridge today with the plans of canning it this evening. But there was two pieces I got smoking again this morning. After another 6 hours this morning the two pieces still arnt cooked in the middle! I just went and measured my temp beside the fish on the lowest rack and it reads 115-120 ish.
Is my fish Bacteria ridden now :(
Im not as worried about the 2 pieces in the smoker as we speak, but theres probly 10lbs of the meat in my fridge ready for canning tonight. I dont want to can all that fish if its going to make me sick.... What do I do....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the bacteria, I'll let a foodsafe person chime in on that. I have encountered a similar problem when after quite a few hours the fish is not done, I am tired and ready for bed. This happens mostly on colder days. With a little chief I like to allow 12 hours to finish the product in the smoker.

I have on a few occasions finished the fish off on the BBQ at low temps. The smoking part is done in the first few hours, you just need to finish the drying process. The BBQ does a good job of that.

Another way to do it is to increase the heat in the smoker. You can put the box of the smoker over the smoker and that helps to keep the heat in. My Brother sometimes throws an old sleeping bag or the likes over the smoker to keep the heat in as well.

Thanks for the advice. Im thinking these two pieces are done(bad), there still wet inside. it was a white fish, but now its gray and wet inside.....But Like I said, Its the huge load of it in the fridge that I want to can tonight Im more worried about. it only had 8 hours in this smoker yesterday, and its been in the fridge since. One buddy said if your canning it, It should kill any bateria in it with the canning process... but I dont want to get my self or others sick just from one buddys word....

Thanks for the advice. Im thinking these two pieces are done(bad), there still wet inside. it was a white fish, but now its gray and wet inside.....But Like I said, Its the huge load of it in the fridge that I want to can tonight Im more worried about. it only had 8 hours in this smoker yesterday, and its been in the fridge since. One buddy said if your canning it, It should kill any bateria in it with the canning process... but I dont want to get my self or others sick just from one buddys word....

if your not sure, turf it ,you will sleep a lot easier.

In cold weather, I have put a large cardboard box over whole unit to raaise the temp..
Just prop up bottom edges of box so air can still flow thru to the chip pan - Seems to raise temp about 30f and shorten smoking time

If I'm smoking to "can" fish I just smoke for 3-4 hrs anyway. You just want the smoke flavor, the canner does the cooking. I just brine and smoke like normal and take out and in to jars and into the canner. Done it that way for years and never a problem or a complaint.

Thanks for all the help guys, but im still unsure if my fish I wanted to can is bad from sitting in the smoker for 8 hours at aprox 120 degress. 150 ish is recommended......
Any thoughts?

In cold weather, I have put a large cardboard box over whole unit to raaise the temp..
Just prop up bottom edges of box so air can still flow thru to the chip pan - Seems to raise temp about 30f and shorten smoking time

A lot depends on where its located, if there is a breeze running by it goes in the vent holes and can really cool things down. I've used boxes, foil emergency blankets but now I use a mexican blanket when smoking in the winter and it rarely takes more then 4-6 hours.

I can't believe it would take 9 hours+ in this heat we're having, it could be possible your element is partially burnt out and not putting off enough heat.

I wouldn't worry too much about bacteria, pretty tough for anything to grow on such a salty medium, provided you gave it a good brine and air dry first. If you're worried you could Pasteurize the salmon for 30 minutes at 145 in the oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two big chief units in the past and the elements varied greatly between the two. Maybe look into a new element. I believe you can buy them at Canadian tire.

yup I was wondering about this the other day. what temp is a little chief supposed to run at? mine is 120. I did 120 for 12 hours worked out fine. I have also done 8 then an hour in the oven at 170 ( the lowest my oven will go). Did a run in my big chief in the sun the other day and cooked the **** out of it. One tip is to make sure you have a very short extension cord. and that its a beefy one. you lose current apparently. in this weather we shouldnt need boxes ,sleeping bags etc to get up heat. but again im not sure what the little chief is supposed to run at. I will try and find someone to call tomorrow. I replaced the element and didnt help. might for your who knows.

Thanks for all the help guys, but im still unsure if my fish I wanted to can is bad from sitting in the smoker for 8 hours at aprox 120 degress. 150 ish is recommended......
Any thoughts?

How much salt did you use in the brine? Wet or dry brine? Salt and sugar are natural preservatives. As is smoke. Enough salt and/or sugar and you don't even need the smoke to cure meat.

How much salt did you use in the brine? Wet or dry brine? Salt and sugar are natural preservatives. As is smoke. Enough salt and/or sugar and you don't even need the smoke to cure meat.

All I used for brine was a Very light sprinkle of course table salt (maby 2 times the amount you would use on a regular meal) and then a Thick coat of regular brown sugar, sat in the fridge over night, and the sugar turned to liquid. Pulled the fish out and started the first 8 hour smoke right away. no dry time or pat down.
I already threw the smoker out. It was an old rat and I was going to replace it soon anyway. Im concerned about the huge amout of fish in my fridge....
But thanks for all the info guys!

All I used for brine was a Very light sprinkle of course table salt (maby 2 times the amount you would use on a regular meal) and then a Thick coat of regular brown sugar, sat in the fridge over night, and the sugar turned to liquid. Pulled the fish out and started the first 8 hour smoke right away. no dry time or pat down.
I already threw the smoker out. It was an old rat and I was going to replace it soon anyway. Im concerned about the huge amout of fish in my fridge....
But thanks for all the info guys!

I think it will be fine. Cut into smaller pieces, rebrine and smoke it again. You can call it double smoked salmon.
If you don't want it. I'll take it off ya and make sure it gets eaten.

sounds like not enough salt was used, i understand meat temp should reach 160 degrees approx go get a bradley!!

Bradley is the answer, but if not in the budget do these three tricks and you should be golden,
1- preheat a brick in your oven and throw it in the bottom to help stabilize the temp swings,
2- wrap the smoker up in something, the original box usually suffices.
3- no peaking, the more you open the longer it takes and the bigger the temp swings
Tim

Thanks for the advice guys. Since I plan to can this fish, Im going to hope the canning process will kill any (if any) bateria that may have developed from being in the smoker for 8 hours at only 120 degrees.

For canning smoked salmon you would want it undercooked anyways. It will dry and darken during the process. I also agree to replace your element. Good Luck;) eman

For canning smoked salmon you would want it undercooked anyways. It will dry and darken during the process. I also agree to replace your element. Good Luck;) eman

Yea, I know its under cooked. I just wasnt sure if it was spoiled from sitting at too low of a temp for 8 hours...
I already threw the ******* thing away! lol To much time money and energy to f around with a $90 pos smoker. Im going to buy a new one and start fresh. Mine was used and abused. I lke new shiny things anyway :)

buddy of mine lives in quesnel, to smoke his fish he wrapped household insulation around the three sides of his smoker... seemed to really help when smoking in the cold.

Thanks for the advice guys. Since I plan to can this fish, Im going to hope the canning process will kill any (if any) bateria that may have developed from being in the smoker for 8 hours at only 120 degrees.

Canning will kill absolutely all bacteria and parasites if you do it long enough. 200 minutes at 15psi is what I use for fish. The only possible issue would be if bacteria had a chance to multiply beforehand. When they have a chance to multiply they release toxins and those toxins are not destroyed by the canning process.

Back