Lingcod and Rockfish Fishery Notice

UkeeDreamin

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=220249&ID=all

More proof that once it’s gone it ain’t likely coming back .... if anyone follows the SFAB/C meeting postings you’ll recall that there was some very thoughtful feedback given to DFO about the use of descenders to mitigate the impacts to rockfish bycatch and thus a recommendation that the lingcod limits be returned to 3/day in those areas that had those limits reduced as a rockfish conservation measure. Unfortunately, recommendation was disregarded by DFO and we’ll likely never see limits restored.

Cheers!

Ukee

See on another thread that DFO revised the reqt for descending devices from a strong recommendation to a license condition ... makes the fact they ignored the recommendation to reverse the lingcod limit reduction, that was “sold” as an interim rockfish conservation measure, that much worse! Would probably be a pretty depressing report if someone compiled all the “temporary” measures that have been put in place over the past decade or two that became permanent restrictions despite no science-based rationale!

Cheers!

Ukee

See on another thread that DFO revised the reqt for descending devices from a strong recommendation to a license condition ... makes the fact they ignored the recommendation to reverse the lingcod limit reduction, that was “sold” as an interim rockfish conservation measure, that much worse! Would probably be a pretty depressing report if someone compiled all the “temporary” measures that have been put in place over the past decade or two that became permanent restrictions despite no science-based rationale!

Cheers!

Ukee

maybe there is a new fishery call the five nation fishery that they had to allocate groundfish to and now theres no pie left.

Just speculation of course

Cheers!

Ukee
It’s death by a thousand cuts. Daily limits going from 8-5-3-1-0
Non retention for YE and Baccacio Rock fish
Sponge Reef Closure
RCA Closure
Areas 29(except 29-5)/28 complete closure
In outside water where limit is three per day, only one can be Quillback, China, or Tiger.
The list just goes on and on. DFO might as well be done with it and completely close the fishing for Rock Fish. What they are doing is redirecting the fishing pressure to other fisheries such as salmon and halibuts which is already under tremendous stress. This is absolutely depressing.

Wow, glad I saw this. I make 1 trip a year to Egmont to catch a couple of Yelloweyes and Lings. Guess it's cancelled now, what a joke

If I’m not mistaken, I think there were areas on the inside last year where you could still retain one yellow eye? I could be misremembering from a couple years ago.

Cheers!

Ukee

If I’m not mistaken, I think there were areas on the inside last year where you could still retain one yellow eye? I could be misremembering from a couple years ago.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yes LAST YEARS

ROCKFISH (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate):
Effective at 00:01 hours May 1 to 23:59 hours September 30, 2018 fishing for
rockfish will open in the following areas:

Areas: 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 13 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.
Daily limit: one (1)
Possession limit: two (2)
No size limit or annual limit is in effect.
Gear: angling (hook and line) and spear fishing while diving.

Areas 28 and 29 (except of Subarea 29-5) remain closed to fishing for rockfish,
this includes catch and release.

Yes LAST YEARS

ROCKFISH (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate):
Effective at 00:01 hours May 1 to 23:59 hours September 30, 2018 fishing for
rockfish will open in the following areas:

Areas: 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 13 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.
Daily limit: one (1)
Possession limit: two (2)
No size limit or annual limit is in effect.
Gear: angling (hook and line) and spear fishing while diving.

Areas 28 and 29 (except of Subarea 29-5) remain closed to fishing for rockfish,
this includes catch and release.
I stand corrected. I found that surprising as we were closed for them. I descended 10-20 a day when fishing for Lings. A real pain!

I stand corrected. I found that surprising as we were closed for them. I descended 10-20 a day when fishing for Lings. A real pain!
I can't get over how annoyed I am about this right now. The spots I go to for Yelloweyes in Jervis Inlet are still thick with them. I've been going with my wife for years to this area, once a year, to bring home 2 lings and 2 Yelloweyes, with the occasional spring as well. Now, even this small pleasure has been taken away too. If not for local salmon fishing (live in North Van), I'm finding it hard to justify owning my boat. Rant over.

I can't get over how annoyed I am about this right now. The spots I go to for Yelloweyes in Jervis Inlet are still thick with them. I've been going with my wife for years to this area, once a year, to bring home 2 lings and 2 Yelloweyes, with the occasional spring as well. Now, even this small pleasure has been taken away too. If not for local salmon fishing (live in North Van), I'm finding it hard to justify owning my boat. Rant over.

I bought all my ground fish gear from a guy that had pretty much the same sentiment, sold his boat. Probably cheaper to just book a trip once a year to WCVI with the way things are going. Hopfully more guides shift there business out there or will be hard to find an unbooked one!

Last edited:
I bought all my ground fish gear from a guy that had pretty much the same sentiment, sold his boat. Probably cheaper to just book a trip once a year to WCVI with the way things are going. Hopfully more guides shift there business out there or will be hard to find an unbooked one!
Yeah, booking a charter makes more practical sense, but I get more satisfaction by doing everything myself. Same reason I've never been on a guided hunt, even though I've been hunting for 35 years. Maybe instead of going bottom fishing I'll make a trip to the Cariboo and catch some kokanee. Need to head to the freshwater section for some tips :).

Most of my long time clients used to own or still own their own boats.

They like to fish a different area that they normally do and hope to put a variety of fish in the freezer

I am curious. What is the cap on yelloweye for the commercial groundfish fleet?

Are they still to keep them all and transfer amongs quota holders to be accounted for.

Does zero retention on rec side make more room for their cap?

Seems to me they got close to not making Halli quota as they where nudging the cap on yellow eye last year.

I don’t claim to come close to understand the system in it’s entirety, but I think these are fair question to ask.

I am curious. What is the cap on yelloweye for the commercial groundfish fleet?

Are they still to keep them all and transfer amongs quota holders to be accounted for.

Does zero retention on rec side make more room for their cap?

Seems to me they got close to not making Halli quota as they where nudging the cap on yellow eye last year.

I don’t claim to come close to understand the system in it’s entirety, but I think these are fair question to ask.

Thoes are great questions

This week I told two guys that regularly supply me with bottom fishing weights I probably won’t be buying any mores anytime soon. Based on what happened last year, I had a ugly feeling that this was coming down the pipeline but it is still very disappointing nonetheless. Perhaps an annual limit like they do with Chinook and Lingcods would have been a better way to go.

Back