Ling - Out of secret cove?

macro

Going out for the weekend, and will try my hand with Ling.. Thinking of the south end of texeda/lasqueti. Any advise? Obviously will make sure I stay out of any RCA's.

Thinking of trying to find structure and stay in the 75 -150 foot range.

May try to find hali in the area as well.. I've heard rumors of the odd one being picked up.
- I cant see this going any worse than the average steelhead trip for me :p

Cheers,

South end of Thormanby, around the Pirate Rock marker, rocky structure there holds a few lings.

Your on the right track man. You can go literally anywhere in the area that isn't in an RCA and find lings. Pick a mound on your chart and go!

Good luck with the conditions, looks like she's gonna be nautical out there this weekend!

Thats the plan. Let them wiggle around down there and do the work for us.

One of the things I like about this marina. Live bait!

Ill let you know how it goes... also an suggestions for texeda/ lasqueti?

So.. first day - three ling between the three us. 16, 12 , 9. Second day, same area, same tactics. Only 1. Only variable.. tide... does it make a difference for these guys?

4 keepers, I agree, that's pretty good.

Sometimes it takes a bit of time for a new big ling to move onto the territory, you probably would have been more productive to have hit fresh spots day 2.

You got all the ones living there.
Exactly. Not the kind of fishery we can all be hammering day to day and expect to have anything left. There aren't thousands, or even hundreds, not even tens in fact, sitting in a small area.

I figured we picked the pinacle clean. The good news is that we got a few little ones before we switched tactics. They went back safe and sound! So, id say the next generation is ok.

So.. first day - three ling between the three us. 16, 12 , 9. Second day, same area, same tactics. Only 1. Only variable.. tide... does it make a difference for these guys?

Maybe nobody has let you know, but you can't hammer a spot for lings and expect there to be more. Lings ARE not a schooling fish. They pick a small area and stay there. So when you yank 4 of them off the same rock, you got them all - you've wiped out that local population.

Maybe nobody has let you know, but you can't hammer a spot for lings and expect there to be more. Lings ARE not a schooling fish. They pick a small area and stay there. So when you yank 4 of them off the same rock, you got them all - you've wiped out that local population.
So - we have daily limits and annual limits. I think I average maybe 3 ling a year. My question is what's appropriate - there are the rules, and then there is what is customary in an area. So, what is considered accepted behavior? Cheers

So - we have daily limits and annual limits. I think I average maybe 3 ling a year. My question is what's appropriate - there are the rules, and then there is what is customary in an area. So, what is considered accepted behavior? Cheers

not posting on a public forum for all to see. just keep it under your hat is all he’s saying

Hey. It’s considered proper etiquette to move your fishing around a lot for Lings as they stay in one spot. If an area gets fished out it may take a very long time for the lings to repopulate. You didn’t do anything wrong, but maybe didn’t have all the info to make an educated decision on your ling hunt.
As retention of salmon has been **** down, a LOT more pressure is expected for ground fish. This could potentially cause irreparable harm as anglers try to bring home the meat.
Some anglers chose not to fish Longcod at all in the name of conservation. The stocks have been decimated in the past. This is the worry of the forum members that say not to post about Lingcod. They don’t want any additional pressure caused by people seeing glory” shots of Ling”
Cheers

Back