Ling Cod - pin bones and recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood' started by Pursuit, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Pursuit

Pursuit Active Member

So how do I get the pin bones out of Ling Cod fillets?! I started with tweezers and ended up with needle nose pliers and found it virtually impossible to get them out. They are like tough plastic spears. What am I doing wrong? And then how about sharing a favourite recipe. At this point I'm thinking of boiling the meat off and
    making a chowder.

2. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You shouldn't be filleting them the same as a salmon. Not a lot of meat behind the bones. You just work your way around them. I still take the rib section and cook it separately but bones in. Don't forget the cheeks.

Pursuit likes this.
  3. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Cast iron pan
    olive oil and a touch of butter
    3/4 heat
    light sea salt
    place in pan don't play with it let it sear to a nice golden brown
    flip till done, then remove fish onto a plate
    squeeze bit of lemon in the pan and pour pan juices over fish

Has a weird bone structure, theres a centre sideways bone on each side, i glide off of top and bottom loin or fillet, trying not to cut off that centre bone, that way it's boneless fillets

Pursuit and Rain City like this.
  4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You should end up with something that looks like a pork chop after you've filleted it.

Reeltime likes this.
  5. CIVANO

CIVANO Well-Known Member

This is a neat video for lings. We can't transport with skin off but a neat way to remove those bones

6. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

God dammit Chris there's a tray!

7. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

Genius. I will try that. Thanks

8. Pursuit

Pursuit Active Member

Fantastic. The Ling fillets [ya, I did'em like salmon :) ] I have left in the freezer are skin on so I'll give this the video try along with "Reeltimes' " recipe. Thank y'all! What a great site!

Rain City likes this.
  9. Aces

Aces Well-Known Member

Trim them out

10. G-Auto

G-Auto Member

That video is trick!

11. pennel

pennel Active Member

Neat way of doing it.
    What you can also do is run your finger down the bones to get the line and then cut on either side along this line -has same result .

Pursuit likes this.
  12. adanac

adanac Well-Known Member

Flour , egg , cornflake crumb, shallow fry in 3/4 peanut oil, 1/4 butter , hit with salt as soon as it comes out .

tartar,

mayo
    Chopped dill pickle
    Chopped caper
    Lemon
    Fresh dill
    Grated white onion
    Half clove of garlic
    Dijon
    Grainy mustard
    Salt and pepper

Simple but the best way to eat ling imo

Bryan Allen and Pursuit like this.
  13. Ian wagner

Ian wagner Active Member

Salt and pepper then Rene's ceasar dressing top with crushed cheddar sun chips bake or Bbq on tinfoil big hit with my friends making some tonight

Pursuit likes this.
  14. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Well-Known Member

Excellent video. I have always deboned them with a knife that looks faster and easier.

15. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

I tried it three times now. Doesn't seem to work for me at all.

16. G-Auto

G-Auto Member

I tried it right after I saw the video and it works. The fish was fresh though. I tried it with a previously frozen fish and it did not work.

17. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Mine were fresh. I don't get it, maybe I'm skinning it too far down and getting into the bones?

18. G-Auto

G-Auto Member

That is possible, if you even cut the first little bone it messes the whole thing up.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Rain City likes this.
  19. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Well-Known Member

I tried it also with a 20 lb ling that was fresh. The first side did not work that good, however on the second side I did not skin as far down.. worked way better. I will definitely give it another go or 2.

Rain City likes this.