Line suggestions

I have decided this year to make things a little more difficult/fun for myself and picked up a 10 weight fly rod and reel for the sole purpose of trolling Chinook and Coho.
I’ve got differing opinions about what line to use and how much.

My plan was to put a lot of backing on the reel to bulk up the arbour a bit, and give the mono something to squeeze, then load up a sh*t ton of mono on top of the backing.

But I was adamantly told by a fly fishman today that I will blow up the reel doing that, he told me to put all backing on the reel except for about 100’ of mono.
That didn’t sound right to me, but then again I’ve never used a fly reel before.

So I’m putting the question to you old salts to put me straight!

Thanks for any info.

Beez.

depends on the reel arbour and how strong it is built. More backing is better. Mono will progressively tighten like a python over time.

I use a 10 wt fly rod with an Islander LX4.5 or an LA4.0.

For line, I use 20-30 yards of backing, 300 yards of 30 lb power pro braid and a top shot of about 25 ft of 30 lb maxima mono. The mono stays nice and tight in the scotty clips.

The islanders probably can handle the mono but I've been told Mono will easily warp fly reels.

What islander guy said. You want a high quality fly reel with a good drag system or you will crack the spool or warp it.. I use a large arbour 10-12 weight Tarpon big game fly reel. That being said most guys don't want to pin there high end fly reel to a down rigger in case it doesn't hold up ?? You could also just put a islander mr-2 on a fly rod and good to go..

I use 8 wt fly rods trolling at times and use the above shown reel , diawa 175's with the mount ground down a bit to fit in the rods reel mount.. I use 15# maxima mono with a bit about 50 yds of dacron backing. pretty old school but works and is a lot of fun.

I use a 10 wt fly rod with an Islander LX4.5 or an LA4.0.

For line, I use 20-30 yards of backing, 300 yards of 30 lb power pro braid and a top shot of about 25 ft of 30 lb maxima mono. The mono stays nice and tight in the scotty clips.

The islanders probably can handle the mono but I've been told Mono will easily warp fly reels.

I just go straight to superbraid at arbor but leave a ridiculously long tag like 12in. Trap the tag with a few different wraps and the braid won't spin. Pull on it before you put on 300 yds but a long tag has never spun on me. Dacron holds water and can cause spool corrosion.

After 300 yds of braid you probably could put 100yds of mono on even light fly reels (fly lines can have mono cores) but fighting fish with braid is much more fun and it's less drag so your downrigger will run a touch deeper. So I do as islanderguy suggests.

I check the braid to mono knot daily as it is going to be crossing the guides many times a day.

I run regular fly backing on all my mooching reels and the top 150 yards are Suffix 832 super braid. Best braid ever made IMO. Then a 50 to 60 foot top shot section of fluorocarbon line to attach the Scotty clips to. The Suffix will last easily 3 to 4 seasons of tough use. I use the 50 pound test Suffix.

Try it and you won’t ever go back.

Back