Line stacking - Deep line inside or outside?

blake_a

I fish deep lines on the inside straight out the back with my top lines out to the side. Usually stacked 20 feet apart.

A friend argues it should be the other way around and that my set up can cause more tangles.

I do get the odd tangle but not very often.

Curious if there is a preferred set up on this forum.

Also, I don’t need to hear about how you shouldn’t stack lines. I run two if it’s active out there but like to run three or four rods if it’s a little slow. My last trip 2 out out of four springs were on the shallow lines.

I fish deep lines on the inside straight out the back with my top lines out to the side. Usually stacked 20 feet apart.

A friend argues it should be the other way around and that my set up can cause more tangles.

I do get the odd tangle but not very often.

Curious if there is a preferred set up on this forum.

Also, I don’t need to hear about how you shouldn’t stack lines. I run two if it’s active out there but like to run three or four rods if it’s a little slow. My last trip 2 out out of four springs were on the shallow lines.

I fish the same way as you when I used to stack, others will do the opposite, both work. I like to put the bottom rods a good 10 feet further back from the clip to prevent a fish tangling in the up line if it heads to the surface.

...Rob

Yup I find no difference and I do as Rob does and leave my bottom line back further than my top line with the same theory that the fish will hopefully miss the top line if it comes straight up. I'm a fanatic stacker. Can't remember the last time I had a tangle other than if a guest clips them too close together on the same cable.

I put the outside rod out first so it's easier to avoid it when I'm setting the inside rods. I don't tangle but don't think that part has anything to do with it either.

The tricky thing to do is stack 6 rods on a 7.5 foot wide boat with two riggers. Try it :)

Used to stack all the time..... added a 3rd rigger and find it way better and more efficient .... when I did stack it was same as CD.... I do still stack when it’s sockeye time though but that’s every 4 years lol

I do the same a Rob and Chasin

Staggering the flasher distance from boat help to avoid tangles.

One day I'm going mount a 3rd DR I think is the most efficient way to fish an extra rod.

IMAG1494.jpg

rain city 3 stacked per side but 8'6"
fun starts when you have 5 down and 3 go off at once.....and springs not soc's
IMAG16411.jpg

options on the berty for when it hits the water ...later this fall
outriggers and planers as well.....lol

Doesn't really matter how they positioned inside or outside. The key is how far apart are they stack, how hard the tide ripping etc. I do mostly 20 ft stacks but sometimes 30 ft depending on tides and tight turns etc. Keeping the deep rod way farther back than shallow rod. Generally if the deep rod goes off and its a spring it will peel line away from the boat and out. Its coho, pinks and sockeye that are generally the issues. They usually come straight up to the surface. So you need to keep your shallow line shorter. Rarely get tangles but it does happen but its worth it for the pay day in the end.

Back