Life jacket info

casper5280

Crew Member
Some good info on life jackets

I don't see any info on life jackets. Are you looking for info or do you have info??

Good point of view. I like my mustang floater vest for many of those reasons.

I don't see any info on life jackets. Are you looking for info or do you have info??
Maybe informative info. Inflatable vs non-inflatable. Something to think about. Sorry if you didn't learn anything form it.

Last edited:
Sorry no disrespect meant. There was no link when I looked the first time. It's there now though. Thanks

Sorry no disrespect meant. There was no link when I looked the first time. It's there now though. Thanks
All's good Oly1

Ya, almost pulled the plug on some new inflatables and have now changed my mind. The non-inflatables are a lot cheaper to buy also.

Ya, almost pulled the plug on some new inflatables and have now changed my mind. The non-inflatables are a lot cheaper to buy also.
I am required to have those keyhole ones aboard so i need 2 sets of life jackets? Where do you store them all?

I am required to have those keyhole ones aboard so i need 2 sets of life jackets? Where do you store them all?
I have the same problem and have 3 just inside the back door under the seat and 3 just inside the cuddy on the seat. Thinking of a cargo net on the ceiling over the table. Those TC required jackets are a pain in the butt.

I agree with his points however when something unexpected happens you need to already have a life jacket on. That's the sole reason I bought an inflatable and wear it 100% of the time on the boat. I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a traditional life jacket.

Excellent response, blindmonkey! If the choice is between a comfortable lifejacket you will wear onboard verses none - I vote for the comfortable lifejacket. If I don't have to worry about the lifejacket snagging on nets - I'll wear the comfortable ones that people use for swiftwater/kayaking - at all times. If there is an issue with snagging - I'll wear an inflatable covered over with a rainjacket - so that it can't snag. Maybe I will end up accidentally in the water for 30minutes+ sometime, but I am betting on that mostly not happening - and if it ever does - I'll put-up with the rare inconvenience of an inflated inflatable - if I wear that one instead of the comfortable pfd/lifejacket. Beats going over w/o a lifejacket/pfd.

Yes there are a lot of variables on different PFD's and Lifejackets. The only way that any of them are going to work is if you are wearing them.

I'm a bit of a wimp in cooler weather and wear a floater jacket most times and in cold weather a full floater suit. I also have orders form the family that when fishing alone that I must always be wearing some type of flotation. Once the boat is back in service this will be a full time thing for everyone.

I always wear an inflatable ever since hearing about the fishing guide who fell overboard last year and his client wasn't sure how to operate the radio or boat. The guide was eventually rescued.

Back