License renewal not available?

I am going to the west coast tomorrow until after the 1st of April. No internet or printer there. I took screen shots and called them yesterday. I got the lady's employee number and said they cannot deny me going fishing because they can't issue me a lic. I recorded date and the time of the call. I tried every way I could. I said the economy is in the tank enough already and I am not cancelling my trip. She took my name and number and said she would send it high priority. No one called me back yesterday.

Last edited:
So does an early closure due to run timing lead to an early re opening. Yeah, thought not. DFO needs to admit they are simply expanding the closure.

Much like last year when they closed a bunch of areas on the same day then reopened areas further west half a month earlier. If they were using run timings, it should have had the same relationship to Timing of migration routes, earlier opening and closure closer to the the mouth of Strait, later closure and opening closer to Mouth of the Fraser. Instead they shut it down early close to the Fraser and opened late.

I would expect the best we can hope for is exactly the same regs as last year. This tends to limit somewhat any new outrage.

I’m all in with that theory. Would not surprised me and perhaps even makes some sence
Yup, get ready for it...churning corona closures batman....locking down boat launches, tackle store closures, marina closures...not a stretch to think this could go farther. The good news is if we make the difficult sacrifices now and stop the spread, we will be back to doing what we love sooner. Pain for gain.

I just tried again this eve to see if I could renew. Nope. I tried calling the Victoria office Friday but got forwarded to a voicemail and have not heard back. I suspect the dfo offices are getting a ton of people calling complaining / leaving messages to staff that aren’t at work anyway.

I just tried again this eve to see if I could renew. Nope. I tried calling the Victoria office Friday but got forwarded to a voicemail and have not heard back. I suspect the dfo offices are getting a ton of people calling complaining / leaving messages to staff that aren’t at work anyway.
You would have thought that they could have had the new 2020 licences in place by now rather than leave it to the last minute for people to buy one.
Wonder what would happen if you went fishing tomorrow without a licence?
The onus is probably on you to have one but equally the onus must be on them to provide the opportunity to obtain one.
Bureaucracy at its bestI guess.

Last edited:
You would have thought that they could have had the new 2020 licences in place by now rather than leave it to the last minute for people to buy one.
The onus is probably on you to have one but equally the onus must be on them to provide the opportunity to obtain one.

I tried a couple weeks back online. The website directed me to either go back to the last establishment I bought the Liscence at(Island Outfitters) or call the number provided to update my information. Can’t get through.

I agree. Go fishing ..... the regs are the regs and as a member on this site you should by now what they are. Nothing new here. When lics are available you better have one ! Just sayin...

make sure you have this years license with you when you explain that they are not yet available for next year.

I can get into my profile and when I click purchase license I get to the region screen and the only one available is Yukon

Don't think I need a special license to fish in the Yukon......pacific is pacific isn't it?

Back