Licence question

When I am in my boat salmon fishing, using 2 rods on downriggers, am I allowed to have a friend with me in the boat who does not have a fishing licence? We would not of course keep more than1 limit.

I inquired about this last year and was told by someone at DFO that as long as that person is "not engaged" in fishing then it's OK. They cannot touch a rod, help you land a fish with dip-net etc etc. They can tag along with you and just sit there like a lump on a log,,,but what fun is that????

Ya, I think you are now allowed to have someone else on board without a licence and still fish as many rods as you want. The sportfishing guide (below) doesn't state otherwise unless I'm missing something. A few years ago the guide did state that if fishing solo you are allowed unlimited rods but as soon as you had someone aboard without a licence you then must only fish with 1 rod per licence holder. They must have changed that rule recently as I don't see it listed any longer. As others have mentioned, just get the damn licence for everyone!!! Makes things easier and takes the guesswork out of it.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

My interpretation of the regs is that if two people are on a boat while fin fishing, if one is unlicensed, then you are only allowed one rod to be out. If multiple people are onboard, and one is not licensed, then you are allowed one rod per licensed fisherman. Until I see something different in the regs, I'll stick to that, however, rules on my boat is you need to be licensed. Avoids any confusion.

OK. I agree the cost isn't much and to save any possibility of trouble I should just buy a licence for anyone visiting who wants to see what it's about.

OK. I agree the cost isn't much and to save any possibility of trouble I should just buy a licence for anyone visiting who wants to see what it's about.
With your visitor having a license, handing them a rod once a salmon is hooked up really gives them an idea what it's all about

Surely a licence is the cheapest thing in fishing.

Back