Liberal Firearm Committee Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronNoggin

Former Supreme Court justice John Major to chair Liberals' firearms advisory committee

Co-chairs are a survivor of the shootings at École Polytechnique and a decorated sport shooter

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justice-john-major-committee-1.3975345

"Appointing these three people to head the firearms advisory committee sends a strong signal the group will be serving a much different role than it did in the past."

Oh-Oh...
icon_eek.gif

Nog

Im not too concerned. We live in a day and age where issues like this appear in the public eye to be dominated by left wing ideals and opinions. Like this forum for example. Any conservative opinions or right wing thinking pretty much gets poo pooed instantaneously by a small, consistent group of vocal left wing idealists who don't want to have much of a discussion yet I suspect that there are far more middle of the road or right leaning thinkers on this forum than you will ever know because they aren't sharing their opinions.
I believe this is what has just happened in the USA with the recent mind blowing election.

Well said Birdsnest, well said.

Never ceases to amaze me how violent, intolerant and degrading the left wing society is. You will be forced to live according to their open ideals. Oh the irony lol.

Do they expect the firearm community to take this seriously? Air pistol?

When there are women in Canada like Linda K Miller appointments like this are embarrassing.

I have met and had discussions with John Major. He is bright and from Calgary.
He does not suffer fools lightly.
That being said, when I was talking with him last, it was over seven years ago and he seemed physically tired.

Do they expect the firearm community to take this seriously? Air pistol?

When there are women in Canada like Linda K Miller appointments like this are embarrassing.

-She shoots 25m pistol with a semi auto .22
- from a shooting family. Dad and sister both shooting Olympians.
- westerner (Calgary)
- trains at a club where you'll find all kinds of firearms
Not the worst pick by a long shot.....

I think some posters have correctly identified the source of our divisions and acrimonious debates is a characterization of alternative viewpoints as "them" verses "us" - instead of having respectful, constructive dialogue on the content of an alternative viewpoint. Just the language "left wing ideals" serves to further enforce that divide; helping keep the apparent 2 sides apart. I guess the questions I would ask would be:
  • Whom is served keeping this divide apart?, and
  • How do we negate this diversionary tactic of divide and conquer?
Wrt the topic of gun control legislation - I would suggest that all governments seem to want more control at the top end. That includes especially the US and it's ever-increasing restrictions and propaganda over muslims and immigration - but also Canada as well.

Ever since the Lepine massacre at the Polytechnique in Montreal on Dec. 6 in 1989 - that was a convenient excuse to bring in more restrictive and ill-conceived legislation; such as registering long arms. Many of the safe storage regulations were already in effect BEFORE the massacre. Order of Canada, and Order of the White Rose were handed-out to gun control supporters after the shooting. I don't remember any farmers from Western Canada getting an Order of Canada after traveling and parking their combines on the front lawn of the Parliament Buildings opposing further restrictive gun laws. I don't remember anyone calling for more mental health services neither - nor tracking what potentially caused Mark Lepine to do what he did. Interestingly, Nathalie Provost (one of the appointees above) was quoted as saying: “Marc Lépine was deeply in pain, and we never heard his pain or listened to it, and that made him become the man that he was”.

Instead, Government and criminal justice officials feared that extensive public discussion about the massacre would cause pain to the families and lead to antifeminist violence. As a result, a public inquiry was not held. Instead, Heidi Rathjen, a student who was in one of the classrooms Lépine did not enter during the shooting, organized the Coalition for Gun Control with Wendy Cukier. Their activities, along with others, led to the passage of Bill C-68, or the Firearms Act, in 1995, ushering in stricter gun control regulations.

Obviously divide and conquer has worked well with the federal government and the head of the RCMP on this topic. The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police and the Canadian Police Association seem to think they should be the only ones needing firearms in this country.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/1...-appointees-stand-apart-from-their-colleagues
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...al-firearms-approval-back-to-rcmp-bureaucrats
https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/guns/
http://www.cufoa.ca/

Obviously, the committee needs to hear from normal, less-urban people (not just Montrealites and Liberal supporters) to whom a gun is a tool like a fishing rod or a chainsaw - and so do anti gun proponents. They need to be called out on their tactics of divide and conquer, and this discussion needs to happen out in the public - and not behind closed doors. I would suggest everyone concerned about this issue to stay on top of it and give input, and demand to see minutes of the meetings from:

The Honourable Ralph Goodale
Minister of Public Safety
House of Commons Ottawa,
Ontario Canada K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-947-1153
Fax: 613-996-9790
Email:ralph.goodale@parl.gc.ca
Web Site:ralphgoodale.ca

Scott Bardsley
Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
269 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0P8
613-998-5681

Cory Pike
Director of Issues Management & Regional Affairs,
Office of the Minister at Public Safety Canada
269 Laurier Avenue, West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P8
Telephone : 613-991-2924

Marci Surkes
Chief of Staff at Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness,
Public Safety Canada
269 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P8
613-991-2924

Media Relations
Public Safety Canada
613-991-0657

MICHAEL COOPER
Official Opposition Deputy Critic for Justice
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
613-996-4722
613-995-8880
MP@michaelcoopermp.ca

Hon. Rob Nicholson (Niagara Falls)
Conservative Justice Critic
147 Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Tel: 613-995-1547
Fax: 613-992-7910
E-mail: Rob.Nicholson@parl.gc.ca
Web Site:www.robnicholson.ca

Mike Farnworth MLA
Provincial NDP Justice (Public Safety and Solicitor General) Critic
107A - 2748 Lougheed Hwy,
Port Coquitlam,
V3B 6P2
604-927-2088
mike.farnworth.mla@leg.bc.ca

Murray Rankin MP
Justice and Attorney General critic for the NDP
1057 Fort Street
Victoria, BC V8V 3K5
250-363-3600
murray.rankin@parl.gc.ca

thank you Agentaqua. That was well said. Not to concerned??? One day when a regulation is tabled and becomes law will be too late to be concerned. Look at recent Canadian history. I am amazed that people do not understand that making more rules for the gun owning regulation abiding Canadian gun owner (hunter, rec shooter, collector, gun club member) somehow makes Canada safer. We all know that we are safer now that all ruger 10/22 25+round mags are illegal?? Yes the gang banger, or criminal will now change their ways? Falls in the same category as those that posted here that our new PM will save our BC salmon and increase fishing/conservation. Sorry I do not consider myself right or left, maybe "normal" I believe fishermen/women and hunters are the biggest conservationists and as a group hunters are the safest firearm owners.

HM

You make some very salient points.

That said:

...Interestingly, Nathalie Provost (one of the appointees above) was quoted as saying: “Marc Lépine was deeply in pain, and we never heard his pain or listened to it, and that made him become the man that he was”.

A spokesperson for the gun-control organization PolySeSouvient, and survivor of the mass murder at Polytechnique 28 years ago, Nathalie Provost has been an ardent supporter of Canada’s gun control regime.

As an engineering student at Polytechnique, Provost was shot four times by the perpetrator of Canada’s fifth worse mass murder, and has since championed gun control in various forms; most notably her outspoken stance on the since-departed long gun registry and Quebec’s continued attempts to rekindle the same on a provincial scale.

Speaking to the Public Safety and National Security Committee on the subject of Bill C-391, the first attempt by the Conservative government to scrap the long gun registry in 2010, Provost had this to say:

As a society, we cannot disregard the instrument through which Marc Lépine expressed himself. That firearm has marked me forever. It is on this that I intend to focus today. I believe that Canada must be as vigilant as possible when it comes to controlling firearms—all firearms.

As a spokesperson with PolySeSouvient, Provost has continued her efforts, working with Heidi Rathjen at PolySeSouvient to lobby government to increase restrictions on firearms and their use.

However, a Tweet released earlier today by PolySeSouvient referencing Minister Goodale’s appointment of Provost as vice-chair of the committee and saying simply “Vice-Chair Nathalie Provost of Montreal is a survivor of the Polytechnique shootings and a spokesperson for PolySeSouvient” may land the new appointee and the organization she publicly represents in legal hot water.

Twitter.png

According to the terms laid out by the Ministry of Public Safety that reference the purpose of the committee, its composition, and the regulations its members must abide by; “Any member participating in this committee in his or her own personal capacity or as an authorized representative of a specific organization or corporation agrees for the duration of his or her term as a member of this committee not to:

Participate in any contractual process, competitive or otherwise, involving Public Safety Canada;
Apply for or accept receipt of any monies obtained through a Grant or Contribution Agreement involving Public Safety Canada; and
Engage in lobbying activities or work as a registered lobbyist on behalf of any entity making submissions or representations to the Government of Canada on issues relating to the mandate of this committee.”

As the spokesperson for an organization lobbying government specifically on the subject of firearms regulation, in appointing Provost as not only a member of the committee but also its vice-chair, it would appear that Provost’s appointment contravenes the Ministry’s own rules regarding conflict of interest.

How this will be addressed by the committee chair and former Supreme Court justice John Major will be among the first issues the committee will undoubtedly face, to say nothing of the effect this apparent conflict of interest may have on the committee’s validity in the eyes of the Canadian public.

Personally I will be taking you up on your suggestion, and requesting the minutes of the related meetings in writing from those you suggested....

I strongly suggest anyone who hunts, target shoots, or legally owns firearms do the same. It is indeed "Batten Down The Hatches Time"...

Nog

Last edited:
EXCELLENT post IronNoggin! Couldn't agree more strongly w it. I'll be following my own advice too. Cheer and good luck all!

The liberals have done major damage to Canadians and their wallets this would be the final nail in the coffin.

goodale.jpg

CANADA’S FIREARMS ADVISORY COMMITTEE: THE SCORECARD

http://calibremag.ca/firearms-advisory-committee-the-scorecard/

"Of the ten members, five represent organizations that are themselves members of the Coalition for Gun Control; an entity aimed at lobbying government for greater regulation of firearms. Additionally, it is likely that at least six are vocally in favour of additional regulation."

And with this stacking of the deck, I'd suggest Ralph Goodale's comment that they will "serve all Canadians well" is completely unadulterated Bull$hit. More like serve the anti's within Pony Boy's circle well while crapping on anyone who does own and use firearms. Effing PATHETIC!!

Nog

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

Allan Rock (Liberal)
Minister of Justice, April 25, 1994

Nothing much really changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back