Letters to Fisheries Minister Jordan annoucement of Fraser River 2020 Chinook Management Measures!

Hard to say the catch data is nonsense, more likely it means the chinook numbers are extremely low and zero fishing should occur on these stocks.

Well no fishing is occurring except the FN nets in the river. These stocks are well into the river now hence DFO being able to release as estimate.

The river has been high for awhile this season and if the Albion ain’t catching sturg it tends not to catch chinook. Last year the river was lower for longer and the catch was high and dfo refused to give an in season update. I don’t think anyone should be fishing for these endangered stocks that said There is a lot of non sense happening.

The whonnck test looks like it’s about on par with last season so far.

I’m not implying these fish don’t need help they most certainly do but that requires a recovery plan and not just prying shutting down fishing will help. DFO own science has said even if we shut down all fishing it won’t be enough to recover these stocks. Last year the exploitation rate from fishing from were greatly reduced on these stocks. Total exploitation from all sectors was Spring 42 (4%), Spring 52 (7%), the fishing community has done their part it’s to
Tme for DFO to do theirs.

Last edited:
I agree with all you have said but before a recovery plan is implemented
( if it is not already too late), more spawners are needed ... only way for that too happen is no mortality.
The combination of high water, hell’s gate and big bar slide have changed how these fish should be managed.

The only juice left to squeeze on this stock from fishing mortality is in river FN fisheries and test fisheries.

Addressing predation mortality is the other way.

Albion+ High water=useless
Look how quick the Whonnock started doing decent.

The only way to have an accurate idea of how many Chinook are in the river would be sonar at the Hope bridge or in Yale. Or change the netting locations to a few areas in chilliwack.

Last edited:
It’s dfo non sence they trying to get their message out before the protest.

Last year they never gave an in season update and said they did not because they were no longer managing from the zone approach.

I find it funny that they are giving one this year. I guess they want the bad news out their. While last year the river was low and the Albion did well so they kept that to them selves.

The whonnack gill net has been doing well with chinook catch since it started.

http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area29DGNsummary.PDF
Very good point Whitebuck. I am going on Jill Bennett show at 1:15 PM on CKNW 980 today to talk about the closures and upcoming PFA Rally. Will keep this handy if she mentions the Albion.

Dave,
Qualark specializes in Sockeye and usually starts about this time.
We need one for Chinook as we now have close 4 months of inaccurate counts on our Chinook stocks.

Back