MLA, Scott Fraser
MP, James Lunney
BCAFN, Shawn Atleo
UBCIC, Stuart Philips
FN Summit, Ed John
FN Leadership Council

January 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

Ahousaht and Hesquiaht Nations have united. Through the undersigned Hawiih and on behalf of our people, we carry a mandate to advance our inherent Aboriginal title, exercise our authority and give expression to our self- governance. Our commitment was witnessed in a public declaration at the First Nations Summit on November 27, 2008 in Vancouver.

By exercising our authority- we maintain and strengthen our political, legal, economic, social and cultural structures. We are hereby furthering our rights to own, to use our resources, and to develop and control our Hahoulthee . We are giving power to our significant contribution to the development of this province and country and to our economic strength. It is our intention to fulfill our inherited role and take our rightful place in this economy today. We are putting immediate and specific plans in place in regards to royalties, licenses, fees, sales, use and management of all lands and resources within our respective Hahoulthee. Furthermore, Ahousaht and Hesquiaht recognize and will uphold and bring to life the legal victories of the First Nations people in BC and Canada in our Hahoulthee. Through this letter, our intention is to communicate directly that effective immediately:

o We are systematically increasing our presence in our territories so that all will know the power and deepest meaning of Hahoulthee and Hawiih- whether government, businesses or organizations

o We will call upon our traditional laws to use and access the resources in our Hahoulthee with permission from our Hawiih

o Any economic activity in our Hahoulthee must be granted by the permission and authority of our Hawiih

o We are creating plans of action to work together for our economic benefit in our Hahoulthee by addressing- Self-governance, Lands and Resources, Parks and Industry in a phased approach

o We will manage and benefit from the wealth of our Hahoulthee

We extend an invitation to meet in regards to our plans and implementation. For further information please contact Guy Louie and Joe Tom at 250 726 2446.

In the spirit of the New Relationship, and for the well-being of our people,

___________________________ _______________________
Ahousaht Nation Hesquiaht Nation
Maquinna – Lewis George Matlahoa- Dominic Andrews

I could have posted this under General Topics....Mods can move if you see fit.

Have I got a story about these guys... well a few actually.[V]

First of let me say I like the concept of what they are trying to do, to take control of the resources within their traditional territory. It should already be a given and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would have no problem asking the hereditary chief for permission to access the resources in his territory. I do that everywhere I go anyways, just out of respect for the old ways.

Ok now for a story. My great great grandfather used to run a trading business all over the coast. His vessels included the Sloop Thornton, the trading Schooner Leonede, Schooner Anna Beck, the Steamer Beaver, and a few other vessels. He also commissioned the first BC built steam engine! Being well connected in and around Victoria he was privileged to some trade items as soon as they became available. On one such occasion he purchased a Henry Repeating Rifle. (A little bit about this rifle..."In every field of human endeavor there is a select group of individuals who are given credit for making such major contributions that they become synonymous with their achievements. In the area of firearms development, one name that must be included on that honored roster is Benjamin Tyler Henry. His invention: The Henry Rifle. It was Mr. Henry who conceived the first practical, lever action repeating rifle. Patented in 1860, the Henry gave a single man the firepower of a dozen marksmen armed with muzzle-loading muskets".)

Henry-Dbl.jpg

Well on one of his endeavors up the coast he stopped in to trade with the Hesquiaht Indians. He weighed anchor off the beach and the Hesquiahts came off the beach and out started 12 canoes out towards his boat. When they where about 1/2 way to him he noticed that all of them had blankets over there laps and he noticed a few of them appeared to be loading their black powder guns. As he called out to them as to what their intentions where one of them let off a shot that fell a little bit short of his boat. Knowing that it would take to long to pull up anchor and the boat would surely be over run by the notorious "murdering" Hesquiahts. He headed inside and loaded his Henry. He came back out and started picking them off one by one. And by the time it was over 22 Hesquiahts lost their lives. Apparently the only casualty was my great great grandfather’s dog whom got struck by a ball from a black powder gun after it struck the wheelhouse. He turned out to walk with a limp but was otherwise ok. I guess I owe my life to that Henry fellow:D

Take only what you need.

Sounds like your Great Grandfather was quite the character.
Can't imagine how exciting a life he would have led.

Sad that gun-play happened when he met these peoples.

Back