Let's talk about PODS...

EZZ70

Hey all, the time is coming for me to think seriously about a pod and knowing "not" all pods are built equal, the challenge becomes more daunting...

- Is the pod suppose to be an extension of the hull or just nearly a extended engine support bracket?
- Floatation or not, advantages/disadvantages?
- Is there a formula/science to the design or a combination of opinions and experience?

Lets dive into this, I look forward to what you have to offer, either good or bad, relevant or not... Who would like to go first? LOL

IMG_1582.jpeg

Watertight brackets provides additional floatation, which in many cases allows the boat to float higher than it did before the bracket was installed. Outboard engine brackets serve many purposes. You will see improvement in performance & handling of your boat, as well as better fuel economy. Boats with brackets balances better, go faster with the same power, back down on a fish faster and better, have more room inside, and are safer in rough seas. With the prop further back off the transom, you will see improved performance. You will have extra space in your boat.

This is what I had in mind for a bracket, I like the V'ed design rather than the flat...

product_engine_white.jpg

The V indicates a floatation bracket where as the straight indicates a standard mounting bracket with limited floatation.

single_flotacion.jpg single_standard.jpg

When a bracket fails...

image.jpg

Looks like a one sided conversation lol!
So once you have a sound hull is it more beneficial to you to have an outboard rather than to fix what's in it now?

I'm use to talking to myself, I don't mind it :eek:

Are you doing it yourself? Some of the pod guys have really decent prices with options from dropping off the boat and getting it done to supplying a pod. I'm cheap so built my own fiberglass however would do aluminum. Someone will chime in re: hull extension vs other options.
You just have to understand a new outboard engine is probably twenty or thirty times what your paying for a 1977 boat on a trailer.

My limit is 20 times... LOL, ya but the boat will be awesome once complete! :D

That's my hopes. Just not cheap and takes a lot of time to make it look like something decent. Mine is not going to be pretty however functional. You can't imagine the work that it takes to make a boat like goddans look like that. Most people couldn't afford to make an old hull pretty.

Depends how your boat sits in the water before the pod. If its sitting heavy in the back like mine did. Making it a flotation style would be a good idea. Sure youll loose weight with the inboard gone but outboards can be heavy... depending on how big your getting.

Im happy with my setup. Id show picture but apparently the size is too large to upload.. but its floation style. It's not full width pod but does follow the shape of the bottom of the boat. Stepped one inch. With full width swim grid on top... helps distribute the load and makes for a nice plat form to fish and pee off. And boat doesnt sit butt light. I had dreams of building it my self but payed a guy to build it. And he nailed it.

Wow, nice looking boat, I plan on 200, 225 or 250 with 9.9 kicker

You will need a 250 or 300 on a 23 Hourston,nothing smaller will perform well.Just my opinion.

Ya 250 is probably what I'll end up with unless I run out of money and just use the 9.9 for a few seasons...

Kinda like this build and design...

00J0J_ewQn5Un9TPK_1200x900.jpg 00f0f_lQDovGhP7iO_1200x900.jpg

Go full width with flotation, should be built custom for your hull. Aluminum all the way with kicker bracket. You need a bigger outboard for that boat, unless you pull all the extras and make it a bare bones fishing machine. I’m putting a 225 etec on my 20’ Grady White overnighter project. You need a 300 or better yet......the Zuke 350 duo prop! Maybe a 250 G2 Etec could do it. Maybe

Go full width with flotation, should be built custom for your hull. Aluminum all the way with kicker bracket. You need a bigger outboard for that boat, unless you pull all the extras and make it a bare bones fishing machine.

You are on the money! No plans of having extras onboard :D keep it as light as possible. Thats the plan, but then again plans always change LOL

that is a hull extension, not a pod and gives alot of lift at the back because it does not graduate up like a pod.

Yep, you are correct but the design was my interest... :D

Back