• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
So this thread inspired me to expand my collection a little and using paguy's idea these are made as a 4" tubby so they can be used at a variety of speeds.

IMGP0054.jpg

Interesting that they look more 'tubby' in the photo than in real life-compare them to a regular 4" plug though and the difference quickly becomes apparent.

Last edited:
Bait size primarily, lure action variation between classic and tubby. I troll a tubby and a classic of the same color on the same downrigger. Which ever goes off first I switch out so that they are both the same. It changes from day to day. I mostly use 6 inch and 7 inch unless I am fishing structure and the bait is smaller then I will go as small as 3 inch. I also enjoy KIKO lures in the mix. Troll in a speed range of 2.5 mph to 6 mph depending upon tide and wind for feeding fish. However I will go as slow as a gentle waggle at 1.2 mph to 2 mph for terminal fisheries.

When stacking plugs, how much separation do you go for? Do you shorten the lead?
Thanks. Dan

I find a plug dives 12' -20' and is fished on bottom closest to the ball. The flasher and lure is cliped in 12-15 ' above .I fish mono and run 50' between clip and lure.plugs are my favorite to fish with as often solo fishing ,because the bottom line floats up if fish is on the other line,and top line may not get snagged as it may fall to bottom if fish is on the bottom line.Plug on the top line has never worked for me,I always got a tangle .

I run further back when I am trolling higher in the water column and closer to the wire the deeper I go. I have not found any issues with diving. I am generally trolling 10 to 20 ft off bottom depending upon the structure.
I pretty do the same as far as set back but I run my spacing about 15-20 ft between plugs

Great thread.....but I have to ask: the plugs in all the various "my favorite" plug pictures seems to be ( to the uninitiated eye) a walk through the wall and everything hung on it of PNT. In other words, they all seem to have their place in somebody's tacklebox somewhere? Isn't it more a case of size and trolling speed then paint job? I'm talking about normal water conditions without a major plankton bloom going on. I always had the sneaking suspicion that I catch fish on my 602's because I have more of them on my boat then anything else. I remember back when Big Bank had piles of pilchard schools and there were springs around chomping on them it didn't matter what the plug looked like as long as it was 6"-- 7" long and was dragged through the bait balls... curious to hear what plugs DON'T work because I get the impression they all will have their moment if the size and speed is right and the hook placement isn't wonky

what strength of leader do you use?
Tie them directly to your main line

I keep 3 rods rigged with plugs in my hottest colours in different spectrum's , usually with the pins pulled. Once i establish with spectrum they are preferring on that day then i will switch the one colour farthest from the best one of the day to something similar but in a different size.

When fishing offshore, unless there are lots of good sized Chinooks and or large bait around i usually start off with flasher set ups to find feeding fish and then pull out the plug rods to go for the better grade of fish

Last edited:
PICT0005.JPG PICT0015.JPG PICT0009.JPGThe plug was from a neighbouring tree banch to sargent rand ally . was spun by me too form .I sun my favorites ,and gave them away.might I introduce you too ... . has many (7) layers dipped in red tremclad and sanded over many (7)years, with 2 coats of tremclad white.found a hook and weight that would fish the plug at low speeds and mooch, not deep.priceless to me but i would like to call the plug dave and have it pulled in the pools. fc

What's the name or # of this one Storm

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_150421.jpg
    IMG_20180412_150421.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 125
Back