• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
Oh alright! Here is another producer. 602uvbiibd or also similar in RVP2-602iibd:)

That one looks fishy.

I noticed you don't pull the wire out and feed the fishing line threw the body of the plug.

My old school favourite was the #191
in Bute inlet it did very well. I'll try and figure out how to post some pics of some chewed up plugs.

@StormTrooper curious to hear your thoughts on pulling the pin vs not? You are obviously partial to not doing so, just curious why or why not? You are the local plug guru... Also, I like what looks like some epoxy on your tow bar to keep the knot from slipping forward, such a simple addition that would be so effective!

Love this thread. Here are some more that I have to get wet often.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 195
  • cop.jpg
    cop.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 192
  • army.jpg
    army.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 191
  • haze.jpg
    haze.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 195
It's not necessary when fishing plugs unless you fish the small profiles in the deep. High in the water column or in the structure there is no need for extra flash in the clear water. In brown or murky waters it can be helpful or while fishing 200+ ft. I personally run 50/50 glow/UV cannon balls as my attractors.
Thanks!
What about leader length and strength? Variable? Some of your leaders looks like 40 or 50 lb mono.

The plus is, if you break off there is a small chance of retrieving the lure.

Great posts StormTrooper. There’s some in there I’ve never seen before.
I might add though, there’s way better than a “small chance” of retrieving your plug after a line break if running the plug with the pin pulled. We ran pin pulled plugs when guiding all the time, mostly to get it back after a guest snapped it off. I’d be surprised if it was not also your experience, that after ordering a box of plugs in the same colour one would usually fish better than the rest. It would become such a good producer that we even knew the Knick names of our fellow guides best plugs. If one of my guests snapped off my “Gretzky”, it was lines and downriggers up until I found it. Even with some wind and chop, a little patience and the gps track would get the plug back more than 80% of the time. Thank goodness!

Finding the right hook, swivel ,bumpper, to protect the knot to the swivel once the pin is pulled is a gift of knowlage .cuz if the hook drops and on retrieve hooks the plug you are no longer fishing with a hook.

It's not necessary when fishing plugs unless you fish the small profiles in the deep. High in the water column or in the structure there is no need for extra flash in the clear water. In brown or murky waters it can be helpful or while fishing 200+ ft. I personally run 50/50 glow/UV cannon balls as my attractors.
Pic please!

Some nice specimens boys.

I've never fished plugs, the look of them have always intrigued me some elaborate colours. It's not hard to tell why the ones posted as producers are producers the theme going in those is glow. Most hook colours are made to entice the fisherman and not so mush the fish. Always keep in mind gentleman that colours fade and disappear as they go down in the water column. Once your past 100' I highly doubt there is any colour left to any lure. It's merely shades and shape after that. With the exception of glow of course. Hence the top producers. And glitter those with glitter would catch and reflect light.

To start rookie off on plugs for say Aug Chinook, what would be your guy's top 6 plugs to buy and try.

I've never fished plugs, the look of them have always intrigued me some elaborate colours. It's not hard to tell why the ones posted as producers are producers the theme going in those is glow. Most hook colours are made to entice the fisherman and not so mush the fish. Always keep in mind gentleman that colours fade and disappear as they go down in the water column. Once your past 100' I highly doubt there is any colour left to any lure. It's merely shades and shape after that. With the exception of glow of course. Hence the top producers. And glitter those with glitter would catch and reflect light.

To start rookie off on plugs for say Aug Chinook, what would be your guy's top 6 plugs to buy and try.
Good question I'll be paying attention.

I would use 5 or 6 inch regular or tubby in the following colors
158 (rainbow back with pearl white belly)
602 (glow version of the 158)
These 2 colors seem to work most areas.
Another very consistent color is 500 (Robin egg blue back pearl white belly), also a good producer a lot of areas.
I have had great results with 232, 727, and 212 as well in the summer as you are looking for.
...Rob

In your experience stormtrooper do you find the workable colours consistent with the chart posted.

Also some good info in this.

Attachments

• IMG_5018.PNG
    IMG_5018.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 17
Back