Let's see your favorite Drift Jigs...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by StormTrooper, Mar 11, 2019.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

If it's for salmon or bottom fish...show us your favorite jigs. :)

I may be a bit biased and lean toward the things I make, mostly because of the feeling I get when I land a fish on something that I created. What I make may not be or probably is not the ultimate lure. :)

Let's see the best lead drift lures that you like to use.

Attached Files:

2. Stizzla

Stizzla Crew Member

@ILHG has some incredible custom lingcod jigs that are going to slay this year! Show off a few bud

StormTrooper likes this.
  3. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Oh do I ever! I must admit.... I have a thing for jigs..

For drift jigging halibut in deep water &/or strong current these are my first picks. they are both 32oz in weight & have a strong glow. The octopus jig has been killer the last couple years. I haven't tried the squid pattern yet. What i do is add a 6" strip of salmon belly &drift. The waves give me all the natural jigging action i need.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

These are some plastic swim baits I had made for me. They are tough as hell & a dog could chew on them. They should last 10x better than any gibbs or other retail grubs. I have found the last couple years that the Lingcod were liking the white grubs with Red tails. I had a couple given to me & caught a bunch off them. . I haven't tried the red/white with multiple tails, but I expect they will work good. Also I had a couple baits made up that are similar to Squid that I see on the westside of Haida Gwaii. Its a new color pattern for me

Attached Files:

5. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

These are a few 16oz jigs that I have never used. The plan is to add some grub tails, or a big strip of salmon belly. The pink & orange ones glow. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

Attached Files:

6. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

These are some new jigs i am excited to try. They are 16oz & the pattern is called squid spawn (they also glow). I can make a nice bend to them to give some great action. I might even pick up a salmon on these.

Why I like them is because of a couple occasions where I was looking for some lings & hali along kelps. I had to work my ass off for the couple i did catch. When i brought them to surface they puked out squid that were thick at the time. I tried the best i could to match the hatch, but if it was not a squid they didnt want to touch it.

Attached Files:

bigdogeh, No Bail, ReelSlim and 4 others like this.
  7. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

These are mudraker & a Norwegian cod jig that I pimped out a bit. I use a clear material that looks great with a metal base color behind it. Im happy with how they turned out.

Attached Files:

8. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

When I need to pull ut the heavy artillery I bring these out. The are a 20mm dino round that weigh in at 22oz. I have one at 14oz that has a loud rattle. The panted on is a custom that a buddy did for me. Its a blue ling pattern.

Attached Files:

9. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Now... When I am drifting for halibut in deep water I use this rig. Its a swordfish rig from the east coast. It has 3 LED lights on it that attract fish from far away. Just add bait & its good to go. I pair it on a spreader bar with the max weight I am allowed to use. drop it down with my electric reel & just drift. Typically when im >600' I will use this set up. Last year I didnt use a circle hook. This year I added it & will see how it does.

Note, I had the best halibut fishing the last 3 seasons in water >600'. No chickens & always happens quickly.

Attached Files:

Monkey, bigdogeh, No Bail and 4 others like this.
  10. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

Nice stuff. Similar to some of my molds. Very cool. :)

Attached Files:

bigdogeh, Stizzla and ILHG like this.
  11. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

This one looks like a lead lure finished in Jig Skinz shrink tube. Very cool stuff. :)

ILHG likes this.
  12. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

You get the idea...coatings are virtually indestructible. :)

Attached Files:

13. ChilliSpoons

ChilliSpoons Active Member

Wow, you really do have a love of jigs.

And interesting comment regarding the quality of plastics with Gibbs and other retail grubs. Mass production and poor quality gets trumped by mass marketing. I would be ashamed if my products would get mutilated after a few fish the same way that these mass produced products do. It’s very cool to see the jigs you and Stormtrooper have created, keep up the great work.

bigdogeh, StormTrooper and ILHG like this.
  14. paguy

paguy Well-Known Member

20190314_155827_resized_2.jpg 20190314_160124_resized_1.jpg Salmon slayers.

ILHG, bigdogeh, StormTrooper and 3 others like this.
  15. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

16. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

These were a favorite on the Puker boats out of Uci. Great l'il lure.

Attached Files:

ChilliSpoons likes this.
  17. paguy

paguy Well-Known Member

Dungeness Stinger and Crippled Herring.

StormTrooper likes this.
  18. saanauk

saanauk Active Member

19. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

Good jigs for sure. :)

Attached Files:

fishinforever likes this.
  20. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

These are a few that I have made over the years. I have tones of different profiles, and sizes. It is always fun to play around and create. :)

Attached Files: