leftover salmon

sly_karma

Crew Member
It happens to all of us sooner or later: leftover salmon. Even with the best recipe and the freshest salmon, sometimes not everyone can finish theirs off.

Last night I made salmon fritters, just a basic batter (flour, eggs, milk, salt) with some chopped green onions, flaked salmon and a handful of frozen corn stirred in. Pan fried at moderate heat like a big, chunky pancake. Served with a little sour cream. Was just an experiment, but I'd do it again.

What do you guys do with leftover salmon?

Salmon pie - its great try it. Google Pirok Russian salmon pie, I found a similar recipe made by many people in Alaska where there is plenty of Russian influence from the old days.
Great way to empty the freezer.
Enjoy
Stosh

It happens to all of us sooner or later: leftover salmon. Even with the best recipe and the freshest salmon, sometimes not everyone can finish theirs off.

Last night I made salmon fritters, just a basic batter (flour, eggs, milk, salt) with some chopped green onions, flaked salmon and a handful of frozen corn stirred in. Pan fried at moderate heat like a big, chunky pancake. Served with a little sour cream. Was just an experiment, but I'd do it again.

What do you guys do with leftover salmon?

So almost like a big omelet or frittata?

As for leftovers....cakes generally or sandwiches.

I usually throw the chunk of leftover in the pot with boiling rice and minced garlic. Leave to steam and take it to work for a healthy lunch covered in saracha of course.

So almost like a big omelet or frittata?

As for leftovers....cakes generally or sandwiches.

I made them the size of an omelet but other than that they're more like a pancake, batter-based. Typical pancake batter mix: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, pinch of salt. Made the mix fairly stiff because I didn't want the batter thin and runny, that would leave the salmon and other goodies isolated. Cooked them a little slower than normal pancake heat, used a lid on the frying pan to keep in some heat and make sure the batter was cooking right through.

Could also make more of them but them smaller by putting less batter in each one, same as with pancakes.

Salmon cake recipe please?

Smoked if there really fishy or chunky grind the meat to make salmon burgers lots of onions ,green onions and some spicy seasoning ...
But does work this for leftover cooked salmon? I always seem to overestimate how much people will eat.

I made them the size of an omelet but other than that they're more like a pancake, batter-based. Typical pancake batter mix: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, pinch of salt. Made the mix fairly stiff because I didn't want the batter thin and runny, that would leave the salmon and other goodies isolated. Cooked them a little slower than normal pancake heat, used a lid on the frying pan to keep in some heat and make sure the batter was cooking right through.

Could also make more of them but them smaller by putting less batter in each one, same as with pancakes.

Gotcha....I was kind of confused as I have always known fritters as smaller finger type food but it does kinda make sense. A lot of fritters in one big pan rather than finger food.

Salmon cake recipe please?

I kinda wing it when making them but in my early days I did Google recipes and sometimes utilize what's in the fridge. Trying googling "best salmon cake recipe" or "best fish cake recipe" and you'll see lots of different takes on it.

Generally some or all of these make it on to the ingredient list and depending on how much you are making amounts will vary but season to taste. Keep tasting to see what you think it could use.
  • salmon
  • panko bread crumbs (can also use leftover mash potatoes to hold them together but I prefer more salmon than potato filling)
  • egg(s)
  • dollop of mayo
  • chives or shallots finely chopped
  • I use garlic grated over a rasp so it's essentially like the creamed garlic you buy in at a store.
  • capers (chopped)
  • dash of Worcestershire
  • a dash of hot sauce
  • various seasonings....depending on what I am feeling like but definitely salt (or seasoned salts of some kind), pepper or I even have some different seafood seasonings. Heck if the cupboard is bare....Mrs. Dash even works well.
  • sometimes finely dice some miniature gherkins to give them a bit of zing.
  • fresh chopped parsley
I don't think I am missing anything of the usual ingredient list. I generally make the cakes and let them just sit on a baking sheet in the fridge for at least an hour to let them set up. Then it's easy from there. Heat up a pan with some oil in it....put some panko break crumbs in a bowl and coat each side of the cake before going into the pan. Heat em' up to a nice golden on each side and serve with a tartar sauce if you like. Store bought or it's also very easy to make.

You don't have to put the crumbs on before pan frying....can do it without but I just like the bit of a crust/crunch it gives them.

All in all....cakes are kind of like meatloaf. Put into it what you think will be good or flavors you like and season to taste. ;)

Last edited:
Another one that's good is salmon linguine. Heat up some alfredo sauce and stir in flaked salmon, keep it on the heat just long enough to warm up the fish and then serve over linguine noodles.

Salmon loaf, same idea as a meat loaf. Flaked salmon, raw egg, chopped onions, chopped garlic, some seasonings like, salt, pepper, dill, dash or two of Worcester sauce, Tabasco sauce etc, etc. mix with bread crumbs. Any of the normal ingredients you use for patties work in a loaf just as well. You may like to add some boiled potatoes to make it go a little further and taste a little less "fishy". Sometimes I add a bit of mayo or horseradish mayo. Tons of things you can add to perk up the flavors. You can blend it for a smother texture and to mix everything well, then top with bread crumbs and bake. Pretty easy to make, and a tasty change from the usual ways.

Some other interesting additions that can make it an extra tasty and different meal.

rice
chives/ green onions
cheddar cheese chopped into small pieces
carrots chopped into small pieces
red pepper diced into small pieces, mild or some hot red peppers for extra zing
sweet Thai garlic chile sauce

lots of other ingredients can be added to make it a special out of the ordinary dish.

get as creative as you want

Also one of my favs is flaked then mixed into a curry sauce, add a few prawns and its heavenly.

Last edited:
Thai red curry with salmon is amazing. You can use pretty much any kind of salmon and even leftovers. If anyone is interested I can post up a recipe that I came up with a while ago.

Instant Smoked Salmon Dip

Remove any skin then break up the salmon and remove all bones.
Put in blender.
Add cream cheese or lower fat/calorie reduced/light cream cheese.
Add maple syrup, liquid smoke, sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Add a little water, -- depends on how stiff you like it and if its for crackers or chip dip.
Blend and serve.

If you don’t live in a condo and have a smoker you could also make it with real smoked salmon and forget the liquid smoke but even with liquid smoke it seems to disappear quickly .

Last edited:
I usually toss it into fried rice. Other super tasty alternative I do that's easy is just toss it into the rice cooker with a salted duck egg. So good.... crap now I gotta go make it for my lunch tomorrow.

Mmmmmm chowder. Try adding meat of half a crab and a small chopped up fillet of some kind of white fish to your salmon chowder. Takes it over the top.

Back