Left over bait...do you re-use?

wishiniwasfishin1

Hi guys,
I am wondering what you do with your leftover anchovies and herring if you aren't going to be fishing again any time soon. Do you chuck 'em because fresh is best, or somehow freeze, then that and re use? I am talking about brined bait. I have never tried freezing after brining but assume they would turn into a mushy mess.

I brine my bait in coarse salt, in a rubbermaid seal-able container and just leave it in the fridge. The bait will last months this way. I also prefer stiffer bait so if you prefer your bait a little softer this method might not work for you.

I brine my bait in coarse salt, in a rubbermaid seal-able container and just leave it in the fridge. The bait will last months this way. I also prefer stiffer bait so if you prefer your bait a little softer this method might not work for you.
I re-use mine if it is brined well. I always carry new bait as well. I usually use my old bait in the afternoon and have the new stuff on for late evening and first light. Waste not-want not----BUT if I don't like what it's doing then it becomes ling bait!!

I throw the brined bait in the freezer and reuse next trip out, I find that if its brined properly it doesn't fully freeze. Never noticed any difference between fresh and refrozen but I usualy only do it once.

I refreeze mine, but only reuse it as ling bait. I find it does degrade to some extent, and the bellies seem come open.

I had one of my best days last year with bait that had sat in brine in the fridge for almost a week. I had new stuff with me in case, but never needed it.

Thanks for the replies guys. THX - does the bait literally last months? Do you remove all of the water when it is sucked out by the salt and just let it sit in the salt as to not make it soggy? I like a tougher bait as well...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. THX - does the bait literally last months? Do you removes all of the water when it is sucked out by the salt and just let it sit in the salt as to not make it soggy? I like a tougher bait as well...
I usually take the old Styrofoam tray take the chovies out of the brine-dry carefully place on the tray-bit of salt-into a zip lock and lay flat in the freezer-I usually re-use within a week or so.

Thanks for the replies guys. THX - does the bait literally last months? Do you remove all of the water when it is sucked out by the salt and just let it sit in the salt as to not make it soggy? I like a tougher bait as well...

Yep, itll last literally months. I still have bait in my baitbox from March or April and Ill use it just the same as any other bait. Simply drain the water out when it starts collecting in the bottom of the container. Coarse salt is $1 a box at Walmart so I put a good layer down, then lay my bait on top, and then cover with salt. Repeat for more packs of bait. Ive had no issues with belly blowouts or losing scales etc, but I never re-freeze mine, just keep it in the fridge.

Love the old stuff..super hard after draining the liquid off and holds a shape great..salt, milk powder and jello for colour.

Jello.......great idea, probably a lot cheaper than the bait specific blueing I use
There is always room for jello! Thanks for the tip

GnB

I keep it in clean dry coarse salt and on ice packs on the boat so no sloshy water to make them soggy ... there so shrunken and dry it's swimming
cured fish with a super tight roll .. i just keep loading the the bag with new bait keeping the old dried ones to never know when you need back up and they work .

cold and dry salt has worked for me and back in the freezer ...

Jello is an interesting one, I just use a few drops of food colouring haha, blue, or green. Had my best day ever last year with some blue colouring. Pickling salt, some 'secret' methods. Lmao. Not so secret I think!
I think a bit of colour added really helps the scale flash actually.

Maybe they like the flavor of the jello :D

Back