led lights for trailers

I have them on my ez loader.I think they are great.Brighter no bulbs to burn out and you can submerge them without worry about them.As far as cost?? My old trailer broke an axle(too many gravel roads)So I bought a new one and it came with them.Most new tractor trailers come with them.So there must be some reason.

I put em on my old boat trailer PERFECT
no problems I let it sit for the winter and connected up and voila no problems like the old lights
I highly recomend them They are covered in a gel type substance that seems designed to keep moisture out

princess auto has em around 80.00 for a set includes side markers too as I remember and the current draw is way lower so thats a help too. I found them brighter thean the regular lights I used
I will get thenm on the new trailer when I get a chance

These lights came into the transport industry about 10 years ago. If you think they are expensive now, you should've seen the cost back then!!!

I don't care for them on the roads. When it's thick with fog and you come up on another vehicle using them, your reaction is there's a vehicle stopped on the road. They are VERY brilliant and it looks as if they are regular brake lights. Just another mind game to deal with when you're in the fog....They would do better on the highway's if they were mandated for use in ALL vehicles. Right now they are just an option.

Company's, owner/operators, started going with them mainly for the COOL factor. However they DO draw only a miniscule of power to operate. Many trucks have over 50 lights and most of them are marker lights with 2 bulbs. This means there are about 100 light bulbs on an average tractor/semi trailer (twice that if you wanted to be WAY cool) that need CONSTANT attention and BIG alternators to run them. Going to LED's did have a built in long term cost savings. They last forever which meant less maintenance and less 'stupid' tickets from DOT.

With that said, I think they're better served on vessels ON the water because of their inherent fog penetrating quality's.

Yes, I like the led trailer lights; I put them on last year. They're supposed to last quite a while and not rust out. The problem with the regular lights was they either rusted (in the unsealed units) or the bulb burnt out and couldn't be replaced (in the sealed units). Because I trailer my boat in and out of saltwater all the time, the damn lights were always going out for one reason or another. :( But I checked the new led's just this weekend, and they're still working just fine. [^] I'd rather be fishing than fixing lights.

Hmmm... that reminds me: I better fix the light in the kitchen soon or the wife is going to crap, even though it's only been out for about two years. Hey, maybe I should put an led there too.:D

Red sounds like you might not be disconnecting your lights from the vehicle before submerging the trailer. I have not changed an old skool bulb in a year since I started unplugging before backer her in.

i don`t think you need 2 disconnect when using led lights ! do you???

Led's will burn exceptionally longer, but poor wiring is just that. Loose connections, bad grounds and exposed ends will always cause grief.

A couple of tips.
- Get into the habit of soldering splices.
- NEVER use quick connectors (except in a pinch).
- Shrink-wrap your work.
- Use lithium based (white) grease on all grounding bolts AND light sockets.
- Avoid getting lazy by parallel wiring the ground side of the fixtures. Ground each one separately also. This way each light has a 'back-up' system.
- Use a high grade stainless steel for the mounting hardware.
- Salt water and electricity don't mix. Avoid dunking a hot trailer.
- Cable ties are cheap! Use them (and loom) to make things neat and tidy.

As with most things, it's all (usually) about detail and the manufacturers do skimp on this - Lowers their cost ($$$).

The trailer I have now is a 99 model. I have replaced only two markers and one signal light bulb. But when it came home for the very first time, I re-did the wiring to my specs using the standard bulbs and sealed beam markers from the factory.

The key here is making sure the connections are tight and waterproof. If things are loose, you go down the road and every bump causes a small short which leads to corroded (green) wires, which in turn lead to failure.

BTW. I HATE wiring. [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] ;)

Mr. D, are you up to speed on kitchen lights [?]

I have done for years exactly what mr Dean says and still I had no luck with regular lights- since I went leds no problems
end of story and I do so hate fixing trailer lights time after time too

Penguin
You might want to meter your circuts. I suspect you may have something else going on and the lighter draw of the lights is just masking the real problem (only if is causing you to loose sleep).

Red
About the kitchen....It's only a problem IF you find that you're dodging rolling pins and cast iron skillets. [:p]

MR Dean thanks for the tip good points.

I have had experience with bad connections etc exactly as you described.
I solved the problems by running completly new 14 guage wires including a ground wire to each light, then soldering and heat shrinking each connection as well. I also switched to led lights - end of problems. then like an idiot I sold the boat and trailer. Now I have to start over again on the new trailer.

BTW princess auto has led trailer lights on sale incase any one is interested http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?CTRY=CAN&INF=home hope the mods don't mind a commercial link

there they the low profile led set??? looked at the site and couldn`t fined them

Back