Leader length for spoons

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by DFordello, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Stoisy

Stoisy Active Member

Very cool. Thought the upward pressure would shut down all the action. That's an interesting setup.

2. Saxe Point

Saxe Point Well-Known Member

Just wondering if a traditional dummy flasher setup isn’t simpler and just as effective? Or is there some advantage to having the flasher attached, even “temporarily” to the main line?

3. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

It's just different. Just like different leader lengths. More action with the in-line flasher. More subtle with the dummy. Depends on what they're hitting that day. I think it more depends on speed and current and how your gear is reacting to it. Long story short is they all work based on some undetermined variable that only the fish know. Personally I try them all until something works. I run a kone zone with a naked spoon on one side in the winter.

4. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

The trick is to just drag whatever lure with whatever length leader in front of a fishes face and then they will bite it.

tightlines, grascal, ab1752 and 3 others like this.
  5. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Right place right time...

BCRingo, el.Pereh and Rain City like this.
  6. bryce

bryce Active Member

Reel time here nailed it
    Fish arnt as smart as everyone thinks
    They eat pieces of metal
    They eat small bait fish with Helmets
    They eat pieces of plastic that are supposed to look like squid
    Find the right fish your gonna get one

tightlines likes this.
  7. eaglemaniac

eaglemaniac Well-Known Member

Dont make a big deal out of it. 5 or 6 feet behind the flasher and get ready.;) eman

Stizzla and Saratoga like this.
  8. EPS

EPS Member

For us we like knowing when the line gets fouled. The moment a piece of weed or gunk hangs on the rod line (not the rigger line) the pump action stops. easier to keep your gear fishing instead of dragging a weed for 30 min.

CIVANO likes this.
  9. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

Anyone have experience running dummy flashers in a 14 foot tinny? Like the idea of the dummies, but concerned the flasher would get tangled up in the motor on pull ups.

10. Stoisy

Stoisy Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem @Irishwolf - as long as you are moving ahead straight the flashers will pull directly back behind the boat. You could also set it up so the line from flasher to cannonball is short enough to ensure it does not / could not reach the motor - only need enough line to make it rotate. 2-3 ft is enough.

Irishwolf likes this.
  11. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

Thanks @Stoisy I'll give that a try! Cheers!

12. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Well-Known Member

Spoons have their own distinct action, so they do not have to be as close to the flasher as say a hoochie, which has no action.

13. fishbadger

fishbadger Active Member

EPS that's an interesting variation on the flasher use. Just the foul detection part of it would increase your presentation time when there's lots of grass or jelly around. In a lot of ways trolling for salmon is just a math equation,

fb

Aces likes this.
  14. Ceilidh69

Ceilidh69 Active Member

15. pelican

pelican Member

FB, I was never very good at math... Dumb luck and time in help fill my freezer. Shakers is all I usually get with 42" smaller spoons in Whirl Bay in the winter. Maybe 6' is the answer.

16. Stizzla

Stizzla Crew Member

Tie onto the spoon, extend the line from outstretched fingertip to opposite shoulder. Snip there and attach bead swivel. 4’6” to 5’. Go catch your fish.

17. ericl

ericl Well-Known Member

I never use a flasher with a spoon but know those that do. Some of those use a flasher on a small spoon but not on a larger spoon. I have been out fished by not using a flasher. Bottom line is I can catch enough fish to make me happy w/o flashers. If I was to use a Flasher on a small spoon it would be about 5fy long of 30# mono.

Slabbedout likes this.
  18. wayne marwood

wayne marwood Crew Member

If you are not catching fish take the glasses out and find a boat that is catching fish see how long they are running and how fast they are trolling that should be the ticket

19. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Most of all.... put your time in and you will be rewarded .....;) i'm pretty sure every length will hit a fish, all different arm lengths
    out there.. find your own length, then it's your own... all you :) Play and have fun at it... Have you been out to test yet?

Rain City likes this.
  20. Saxe Point

Saxe Point Well-Known Member

There are many factors at play and I think that, of all of them, the leader length is possibly the least important. I use only dummy flashers, which according to some, means that I should not do as well. But last year I did better than many fishing in the same areas as me. I think it’s about finding the fish and fishing the right depth. These are the most important. The rest is less important, as long as you’re using the usual range of bait, spoon, plug etc.

barkerfam and ericl like this.