Leader length for spoons

DFordello

I keep getting different opinions on leader length for spoons behind your flasher. I know guys in Parksville that sometimes fish them as short as 18". Then i go to Pacific Angler and they are talking about a 5-6 ft leader. What works best for this time of year, or year round?

I use this method to find the exact best leader length for this time of year:
  • pick up leader roll
  • grab tag end
  • stretch out arms all the way
  • cut line next to roll
  • Tie on leader
Boom, the perfect leader length.

For summer fishing, switch your leader roll into your other had and repeat the above process.

Disclosure: I'm 6'5" and I like to run my leaders longer than average, so I guess it all works out...

I run spoons with a dummy flasher rig and have had great success ...... what im getting at is technically the spoon could be 10 -15ft past the clip so in theory the leader is that total length.

I’ve never measured because I’ve yet to catch a fish that had a ruler tucked into a pocket. I just go with my gut when I cut it off to tie the swivel knot. It is far more important to look at the spoons action and troll at a speed that makes it swim in the desired action...no matter what the leader length is. Just like a plug...get it swimming correctly and it will produce.

For chinook I find the winter fish are far more aggressive feeders and prone to taking a lure on a shorter leader than summer fish. With that said, I tend to run spoons at 36” for feeders and 60” for summer runs.

With the possible exception of very small twinkle spoons like Coho Killers, I think the longer leaders are more productive for spoons and for lures with their own action in general. The limiting factor is not having a leader so long that it interferes with effective netting, landing or releasing of the salmon. That may vary dependent on such factors as your specific boat design, the fishing regs at the time you are fishing (will you be releasing all or most without netting), net handle and rod length and if you fish alone or with a partner.

With the possible exception of very small twinkle spoons like Coho Killers, I think the longer leaders are more productive for spoons and for lures with their own action in general. The limiting factor is not having a leader so long that it interferes with effective netting, landing or releasing of the salmon. That may vary dependent on such factors as your specific boat design, the fishing regs at the time you are fishing (will you be releasing all or most without netting), net handle and rod length and if you fish alone or with a partner.
Right. So 6' :p

I think it depends where you fish too....... I use 6.5’ in Barkley sound. I know my buddy fishes renfrew and sometimes he is at 8’....??

I like 6', and some of the Washington guys at the dock use 30". We catch about the same.

One my side of the boat I run a longer leader on the other side I have started running sorter ones because they have reeling in to far running th3 bead into the tips and braking a few last year

I run spoons with a dummy flasher rig and have had great success ...... what im getting at is technically the spoon could be 10 -15ft past the clip so in theory the leader is that total length.

I’ve switched to dummy flashers as well and am also doing well. In addition to getting a much better fighting experience, adjusting the distance between spoon (or plug, bait etc.) is just a mattter of clipping further or closer to the downrigger line. I also find that using dummy flashers makes it easier to net fish and overall just makes the whole experience simpler and easier.

Back