Latest 2019 Chinook News

This will not increase the pressure on pinks. Tbose who fish pinks will and those who don’t won’t.

Sorry I missed that.. is there additional restrictions on pinks? This is going to increase the fishing pressure on the other species
2017 Fraser pink run was way below the forecast. If we get a similar run size, I’m pretty sure there’s going to be restrictions on pinks as well. Pink is now the new Sockeye. :(

WTH does this mean with west coast???
  • West Coast Vancouver Island offshore areas will have non-retention of chinook until July 14 followed by a limit of two (2) chinook per day from July 15 to December 31. West Coast Vancouver Island inshore waters will remain at two (2) chinook per day for the season once at-risk chinook stocks have passed through, to support the long term viability of the salmon and of the recreational fishery.
The official map 'looks' pretty damn all closed as well: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...6_A7oJwew3xeD4YsFzfc-_ktBCUnNrcG3-7V43v-lQ7g4

Do we decide the date that 'at risk chinook stocks have passed through' or is that also referring to July 14?? In which case why even word it/break it up inshore/offshore??

• West Coast Vancouver Island offshore areas will have non-retention of chinook until July 14 followed by a limit of two (2) chinook per day from July 15 to December 31. West Coast Vancouver Island inshore waters will remain at two (2) chinook per day for the season once at-risk chinook stocks have passed through, to support the long term viability of the salmon and of the recreational fishery.
The official map 'looks' pretty damn all closed as well: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...6_A7oJwew3xeD4YsFzfc-_ktBCUnNrcG3-7V43v-lQ7g4

Do we decide the date that 'at risk chinook stocks have passed through' or is that also referring to July 14?? In which case why even word it/break it up inshore/offshore??

I’m trying to figure this out as well... I have family in town for Easter and there here to fish! Wondering if I should try and book a place in Bamfield or ucluelet.

From looking at the charts, the inshore WCVI Chinook fishery remains untouched.
I am happy for people who fish there, but don't understand the logic as to why that is the only area
left untouched.

So the problem is, all the jobs lost from retail to commercial dont have anything to do with SNC Lavalin. If it did our prime minister would have done what ever it takes including obstructing justice with the AG.

I am happy for people who fish there, but don't understand the logic as to why that is the only area
left untouched.
my best take is this is still undecided - the fish they are shutting down in Sooke/Victoria/Vancouver are coming down the beach in Renfrew as well - I would guess 'date to be determined' and it may be a couple weeks sooner than our date - like closed until July 1 kind of thing....

I am assuming they are referring to terminal fisheries on WCVI that don't encounter fraser stock , Winter harbor, alberni inlet, nootka sound ect..will still be 2 a day limits. Otherwise there would be a total collapse in recreational fishing infrastructure. Basically the inshore areas of 21 to 27.

Tho WHO KNOWS because DFO was too retarded to release fishing notices on the same day they released this announcement!

I am assuming they are referring to terminal fisheries on WCVI that don't encounter fraser stock , Winter harbor, alberni inlet, nootka sound ect..will still be 2 a day limits. Otherwise there would be a total collapse in recreational fishing infrastructure. Basically the inshore areas of 21 to 27.

Tho WHO KNOWS because DFO was too retarded to release fishing notices on the same day they released this announcement!
the first description said 'near shore' vs inshore - ok, I'd understand like barkley sound say east of Bamfield or something, but what about beach Renfrew - that is 'near shore', but those are fish heading south most of the time.....definitely not black and white here and is doing a disservice to anyone wanting to book a trip in the area!

FNs will continue to do their thing in the river regardless of what restrictions are out there. Add to that the habitat issues, seals, pollution and the warming ocean waters and see where this closure is going to take us. DFO can only manage to ZERO!
Yeah,
how about a complete closure on FN's netting on the Fraser if it's the Fraser stocks that they are trying to protect?
That would include an extensive plan to catch and prosecute poachers during closed periods.
I don't think people realize how widespread the poaching is along the Fraser River and I'm not just talking about FN's!

left untouched.
Yeah I agree, we need an expert on Chinook migration to jump in.

Just my opinion, but what this came down to was a recognition by the government that the ONLY way to have a positive impact on the early Fraser chinook runs was to shut down native fishing in the river, and the only way to do that based on recent court cases was to shut down all fishing on those runs. I'm sure their constitutional and legal experts told them the courts have said natives have precedent over all other users which means to shut the native fishery down, all other users had to be as well. Why else shut down WCVI troll fisheries and sport fisheries that have very small (but not zero) impacts on these stocks?

Just my opinion, but what this came down to was a recognition by the government that the ONLY way to have a positive impact on the early Fraser chinook runs was to shut down native fishing in the river, and the only way to do that based on recent court cases was to shut down all fishing on those runs. I'm sure their constitutional and legal experts told them the courts have said natives have precedent over all other users which means to shut the native fishery down, all other users had to be as well. Why else shut down WCVI troll fisheries and sport fisheries that have very small (but not zero) impacts on these stocks?
They aren’t going to shut down First Nations lol. They shut us down to keep them fishing. No way they are going to **** them off. It’s not about the fish. It’s political. If they really cared about the fish they would spend money on rebuilding these runs.

I think you are right...

The user group taking the biggest reduction from “B” to “A” was FN in river FSC fisheries...I hope that these fish actually get up the river as intended.

These ***** don't give a rat's butt about the fish or the whales, it's all political.
They're just bending to pressure from all the ENGO's
I'm wondering how much ENGO lobby money is helping to push this fed/dfo agenda. Its also about the fricken pipeline and owning the environmental high ground. They're throwing in the green to wash the black. They want that pipeline to go thru. Also interesting how these restrictions will cut the rec and com fishing something FN has been seeking for a long time. Definitely not about saving fish. These are peanut dollars the feds are quoting to help save the chinook. Washington State has pledged $1.5 billion for its fisheries to turn things around. All nicely gift wrapped with the 2019 fishing regs.

MICHELLE CORFRIELD's OFFICE IN NANAIMO IS:

4286 DEPARTURE BAY RD! Beside Petro Can

GO TELL HER LIBERALS WILL NEVER GET YOUR VOTE AGAIN....I did and it felt great but also let's hope she relays that back to her superiors. If we get 40-50 people going in there...that's a lot! LET'S DO IT....TAKES 5 MINUTES! this is JUST THE START!!!

Back