Latest 2019 Chinook News

profisher

Just heard that the announcement we have all been waiting for is coming out at 2pm today and its not good. I'm being told WCVI Chnook non retention April till July 14th. Johnson Strait and upper Georgia Strait the same. Lower Georgia Strait and JDF Chinook non retention April until July 31st. Time to go to war guys!!!

Who said F$ck about a blockade. What ever the campaign is it should have two goals, to make DFO and the NGO’s look bad...NOT US!!

This is a sad day for fishing. And common sense. I hope the Other groups got hit this hard. Motivation to work together.

Who said F$ck about a blockade. What ever the campaign is it should have two goals, to make DFO and the NGO’s look bad...NOT US!!
Now your talking.. With the timing of these proposed closures corresponding with time the American fish pass by, I find it hard to think there isn't some sort of influence being asserted from our southern neighbours. It has been proven in other industries such as oil and gas and is getting main stream traction. The TIDES foundation and Gordon and Betty foundation have made many donations to different organizations up here on the west coast. One such influential group is West Coast Aquatics, the same group that chaired the SRKW forums with DFO last fall. There are many other examples.. We need to stand up against this push or we will be in the horizon forever.

Start protesting and tell them you'll never vote Liberal again !

To Hon.Jonathan Wilkinson

I am disappointed with your decision to close the recreational Chinook fishery in B.C.
You have effectively removed a piece of B.C. heritage and impacted thousands of people
and their livelihood's.
If the proper course of action had been taken years ago in restoring and protecting habitat
this situation would be entirely different.
My friends and family, many involved with the recreational fishery will not support the Liberal government
in the next election, nor at any time in the future.
This is a disgrace !

Scott Craven

Anyone from NANAIMO area. By election occurring. I just walked into Michelle Corfields office and gave em an earful. And backed it with science and data that shows this does nothing. Told them I’d never vote liberal again in my life!

Her office is RIGHT BEHIND BEST BUY BESIDE THE PETRO CANADA!

Seems just ridiculous to have ANY fishery near or in the Fraser at any period of time if the thought is to protect those particular runs.

Like has been said above. Clearly it’s way beyond Fraser River chinook and SRKW issues.

All I can hope for now is this helps, local VI fish stocks rebound and leads to a promising fishery in the future.

What's the definition...we can include Thompson steelhead chum and
Oh ya It's a pink year..ZERO RETENTION !

Time to hit the lakes

FNs will continue to do their thing in the river regardless of what restrictions are out there. Add to that the habitat issues, seals, pollution and the warming ocean waters and see where this closure is going to take us. DFO can only manage to ZERO!

Sorry I missed that.. is there additional restrictions on pinks? This is going to increase the fishing pressure on the other species

Back