Lasers against sea lice...REALLY!

Ah agent, don't you wish you hadn't posted that comment? I'm betting it would be different if you had to do it again ...
Actually - even though it is a bit off topic - dealing with subtle personal attacks from you throughout this thread - instead of maturely and professionally addressing the issue (like Big Bruce) - I'll answer it honestly - and thank you for that opportunity.

Answer: No. I'll tell you why:

No matter how many lights, buzzers and whistles we distract ourselves with - we have still not addressed the fact that the open net-cage technology is an inappropriate technology to superimpose over the life history stages of wild salmon. It provides no opportunity to segregate wild and cultured fish - and mitigate wild/cultured stock interactions - due to it's porous nature. There are other options - such as closed containment - which when you bring it up - pro-farm advocates run around like their hair is on fire - trying to tell you why it can't work - and why they shouldn't be forced to do it.

I see this as yet another distraction from dealing with this reality - in a long line of distractions.

Wrasse were going to save us from the impacts of sea lice, first. Then, light traps were. Now lasers. Maybe next year it will be nanobots. None of these attempted "solutions" really worked yet - because they failed to address the real issue of the open net-cage technology.

Yes - in of themselves - interesting research projects.

But there are simpler and more effective answers to the issue of sea lice and disease transfer: closed technology.

Last edited:
You guys can argue like children all you want about this issue.
The fact is that regardless of the science, when asked, the vast majority of BC residents are against open net fish farming.
Closed containment is quickly becoming a commercially viable alternative and it is only a matter of time before it make open net farming a thing of the past.
Personally I hate seeing the things in every nook and cranny on our beautiful BC coast and am offended by foreign companies being allowed to recklessly rape our waters for profit.
If it is unclear which side of the argument I am on then I apologize if I seem to be beating around the bush.

BC coast ...80 canneries historically. A single female salmon can produce "up to 17,000 eggs" US fish and wildlife. On a previous trip up BC coast I dropped in to talk to the custodian of a now "tourist" relic cannery near Rupert. How much salmon I asked taken in? No estimates but added "TONS of salmon dumped in woods or back in the ocean every year". The canneries could not handle the abundance. What we have now with this reeking fish farm thievery is SICK. Fish, forests, wildlife are remnants in this province from even a decade ago. And the remedy is right there in front of our faces in our own BC history. Restoration of the untouchable spawning power of BC coastal streams is a financial pittance compared to the billions sucked in by denial ego stuck fisheries debacle of Ottawa bureaucrats and their lobby brown bagger foreign self enriching corporate elites.

Back