Landing net recommendations?

BarryA

Crew Member
It’s time to replace my salmon landing net on my sport boat. I’d like to buy one that does the least amount of damage to scales and slime.

I’d like to hear what brands/materials the guides on this forum recommend. I’ve shopped around locally but the materials in all the knotless nets seems too stiff and abrasive for my tastes. Is rubber the way to go or another material?

I normally release fish with a gaff without netting them but when I must use the net I’d naturally like to minimize mortality.

Barry

Last edited:
Great idea. I think I'm going to look into one of these as well.

This seems like it would do the trick:https://www.gibbsdelta.com/catch-release-salmon-nets
Barry: I'm pretty sure I have the Gibbs net as per Saxe Point's link he supplied. There is no down side to one of these nets, they work fine and mine has lasted several years already. I have had a couple times netted a fish that I was sure was clipped but in fact wasn't. There is no scale loss and I'm sure the fish were fine upon release. If this happened with the standard Scotty net there would have been scale loss with the knotted net mesh for sure.

...Rob

Get a catch and release net with knotless rubber webbing. And a long handle!

Its not as easy to net fish with the rubber webbing (lots of drag through the water when u scoop), but it will damage the fish less than knotted bags by a long shot.

Barry: I'm pretty sure I have the Gibbs net as per Saxe Point's link he supplied. There is no down side to one of these nets, they work fine and mine has lasted several years already. I have had a couple times netted a fish that I was sure was clipped but in fact wasn't. There is no scale loss and I'm sure the fish were fine upon release. If this happened with the standard Scotty net there would have been scale loss with the knotted net mesh for sure.

...Rob
I have the same Gibbs C&R net with a telescopic handle. I’ve used the net for 3 seasons and so far I’ve had no issues. I rinse it with fresh water after each use but still see some rust on the handle swivel. After all it’s made in China.

I bought the Gibbs C&R net replacement bag for their Heavy Duty Guide Series Net product # GRB-GV72GS.It was $90.00 just for the net but it's a beauty.Vinyl coated,knotless and a whopping 32"x 32" and 42" deep.Small mesh size as well so would be great for scooping herring balls when you come across one.Here's a link to the Gibbs Delta cataloge showing all their nets.http://www.gibbsdelta.com/pdfs/Nets_Catalogue.pdf Can't wait to slide a nice hog into it and get it slimy.

Catch and release nets should be mandatory for some fishers . I use a gaff to release but been thinking of trying to change the net in my scotty or getting a second net .

I have one of the Gibbs CR style nets. Overall its a great net but those style of nets are "slower" when you cut through the water with them due to their larger surface area, it took some getting used to from the old cheap nylon net with the big loops. Mine is kind of heavy too a lighter one would have been nice I have the heavy duty guide series with the protective mesh around the hoop. Definitely love the long handle, specially on podded boats.

I don't understand this thread. There is no good net for releasing fish. Use a gaff or some other tool that allows for a safe release without any contact to the fish and its scales.

Wow never thought I’d be shamed for owning a net or caring about doing the right thing. Didn’t know net-shaming was a thing. Whatever.

I am required to release all wilds. Sometimes you mistakenly net a fish that you discover has a fin or a guest changes their mind and decides they don’t want to keep a fish. Can go on with more scenarios.

1 net for sale, anyone interested?

Last edited:
Catch and release nets should be mandatory for some fishers . I use a gaff to release but been thinking of trying to change the net in my scotty or getting a second net .

I have 2 nets on the boat..both scotty.. 9 seasons... same bags..I replaced one of the scotty bags with the Gibbs release bag ..so if i do require a relase net i have it... Us the gaff for most releases... :)

Back