Landing Fish When You’re Fishing Alone

I fish alone a lot; I don’t know what it is, i’m so much more calm and in control. no barking orders or pissing off the wife; if the fish gets off it gets off. i know what i need to do. net comes out and it’s in the bag.

still working on solo ing a tyee. it will be gaffed.

Have you ever knocked the fish off the hook doing it this way?

yes of course !!i always give a quick look at how it is hooked.. and this bonk is not a power bonk, it is a quick, accurate snap of the wrist to the space right above the eyes.. the fish gets the quick wiggles when stunned properly.

I have two nets, one 6 ft when fishing with a partner and one 9 ft when alone. both use a scotty net minder set up. I very seldom fish with flashers, but use dummy flashers quite a bit. when fishing alone, I prefer multiplier reels to reduce the chance of a backlash. I do not take the engine out of gear and may speed up a little. I leave the non catcher down in the forlorn hope of a double header, but bring the released side up and lift the cannon ball into the boat with the dummy flasher. I will slide the net over the stern and slip it under the tired fish, as soon as it enters the net I lever the handle until the scotty net clip releases, then release the drag, drop the rod and lift the fish into the boat. Did I mention I carry a spare rod?

When I am by my self and it is a bigger fish I will gaft it and you would see the looks from other boat,I did a 35 pound and 32 pound springs at camper creek people said I was crazy I said maybe I am lol
Wow, that looks good on the resume! Do you just grab the leader when it’s really tired?

@Stizzla we will make sure to give you lots of practice next summer. You will be a gaffing machine. You can learn on a crazy a$$ Coho, once you get that down anything else seems easy!.

Back