lack of decent boats for sale ??

scott craven

Over the last few years there seems to be a noticeable shortage of fishing boats
in the 16-19' range.
Hourston, D.E., Malibu Tyee etc.
When they do come up for sale, which seems rare, they are gone instantly.
Has anyone else noticed ?

Absolutely,anything in that size range is what most people can fit in their yard/garage and their budget. The price of anything new drives up the used market. Both of my sons bought used boats last year,an 18.5 Double Eagle and a 542 Campion, and they were the first to see them and paid full price to get them. Supply and demand dictates price.Both of the boats would be over $45K new which is a lot for most working families.

I have been known to peruse the used sites for boats. I don't just think it's the 16-19' range. If it's a good boat at a marginally reasonable price you have to act fast or its gone.

I think the price of new boats in this size are much too expensive in comparison to larger boats and people buy larger. Lack of supply of newer small boats and the age of many offered makes any decent one offered for sale a hot commodity. Theory only, no statistics to support it

I recently bought a 17-6 double eagle and ended up paying over asking price. The guy I bought it from said he had thirty calls within 2 hrs of putting the add up on Craigslist.

My last 2 boats were the same way. Tons of calls and the first people there all paid cash on the spot. I find any Double Eagle, Hourston, Tyee, or Campion in that size range in good shape will sell to the first guy there.

Less people buying boats used in US meaning available inventory here is dropping. People are buying out of a smaller pool It's been 4 years since the US dollar started making it less attractive to buy there. Most of us would never consider a new boat ever so used inventory demand is elevated. Also, the population on the Island is growing and that's influencing demand. Most people move there for lifestyle and lower home cost (if you're from lower mainland). The first thing they want to do is camp, fish, boat, hike etc.

I would assume that would be about the minimum acceptable on an 18 ft. Max out at 30mph?

I totally agree Scott. I've been looking for a 16-18ft boat, great shape with low hours for about 4 months with no luck.
It's either an old boat or high hour outboard.
Oh well time is on my side do the search continues.

New boats are just getting right out of hand in price is a big thing. It's crazy the last few years, it's pretty much impossible for the average family to afford one. Glass boats depreciate so much it just doesn't pay for most. When I bought my boat in '06 all in rigged with down riggers, electronics trolling motor all set I was just over 50 g's today to replace that boat the way it's rigged is in the mid 70's that crazy. A decent 17' lake boat with 115 engine is 35 -38 this day and age. These manufactures have to come down on price if they want to move product it's gotten out of hand. I have been considering a new boat in the next couple years something in the 24-26' range and was serously looking at a new welded but man alive, your looking at 150 for anything decent, it's just not worth it. Not when you can get a very low houred boat like a 26' Seaswirl or the likes in the 60 range for me it just doesn't make sense to buy new. And please don't take me wrong here, but I am an older guy my kids are grown and gone and I make an above average income and I don't want to afford one, how can the average guy with a young family do it.

If you you don't mind traveling check castanet.net classifieds out of Kelowna. Might be something there. Bein from the okanagan there's a lot more small boats than at the coast

Last year at the boat show they had 20 year financing for the average family and they sold lots of boats. The dealers know they have to make it work somehow. Looks like my 20 year old K&C is going up in value ?? lol

Can you imagine how much you have paid for a 20 yr "loan" on a boat..... at 6 % over 20 years do the match it will hurt badly!!!!!!! problem in most want top end boat for there first one no one wants to or do the time to fix up a used one or dont know how we have kinda lost touch with that aspect in life its easier to just go buy a new one.....

Back