Kuterra land-based salmon farm presentation

tincan

Here's a video the Pacific Salmon Foundation just put out from a luncheon they hosted a couple months ago. Kuterra President Garry Ullstrom discussed the Namgis closed-containment salmon farm in Port McNeil

[XBGb-SG99e8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBGb-SG99e8

Not many people know that the technology and the engineering design team of PR Aqua that made that possible are in Nanaimo. That incredible for a small place in Vancouver Island and management office in Colorado.. Thanks you very much for posting that as interesting... Go Safeway...

That's awesome news and very informative video. Now if gov't would just listen. Imagine taking all those gov't payouts to the fish farms for culling their open net pens when diseases break out and put that money into grants for land based farming and you've got a viable and growing land based fish farming with no reason to not move from open pen to closed land based tanks. let's hope this is the future.

Wow very cool if people are willing to pay the extra couple bucks I think it will take off. Myself I spend the extra money on free range eggs but a large majority of people don't. On the other hand salmon is not cheap and because more it's more of a luxury I think that consumer might part with a few extra bucks to benefit the wild fish. Educating the consumer will be the toughest part,

Thank-you very much for the video. As this industry evolves, the costs should come down and the quality go up, so a total win/win. Great to see the myths being addressed and now if it can become common knowledge that land based fish farming is not only do able, but right here in our back yard. Maybe ,just maybe when this industry matures. DFO can start getting our sport fishery the funding needed to keep programs well funded and habitat improvements as a main priority.

Thanks for posting this Tincan - sure wish Kuterra success, and glad to see the Pacific Salmon Foundation involved. This has the prospect of being a game changer on the coast.

Sent using Tapatalk

this seems like a big step in the right direction. Our wild salmon desperately need help and need to be safeguarded (especially the smolts) from having to travel through the overabundance of fish farms along our coastline. the highly valued jobs created (engineering, fabrication, construction, maintenance and day to day operations) with on-land fish farming are much more than what are produced with open containment farming. hopefully the open containment companies will get on-board and get with the program. otherwise their future may be short-lived as people are getting more and more educated with farmed atlantic salmon. they will choose this fish over the open containment farmed fish. and I believe food stores will also eventually choose to sell closed containment fish over open net containment fish also as a sign that they hold their social license in high regard. good luck and good karma to the namgis and those involved in and in support of closed containment salmon farming! their future should be strong and prosperous. and also big thxs to Safeway for choosing to go with closed containment farmed fish over open containment net penned fish! maybe Costco should think about getting on-board....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back