Kristos Razdayetsya

walleyes

Crew Member
Kristos Razdayetsya,

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Ukrainian members on the forum. We don't celebrate it really anymore other than a couple phone calls here and there. We did up until about 10 years ago. The wife's family celebrated it big time up until about 5 years ago most of the older generation are gone now and it has passed by the wayside. Unfortunate really, we used to have a heck of a time back on the farms lol.

Kristos Razdayetsya,

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Ukrainian members on the forum. We don't celebrate it really anymore other than a couple phone calls here and there. We did up until about 10 years ago. The wife's family celebrated it big time up until about 5 years ago most of the older generation are gone now and it has passed by the wayside. Unfortunate really, we used to have a heck of a time back on the farms lol.

This brings back memories of my youth back in Manitoba and then Southern Alberta. My Mom came from a family of 15 and they all loved to entertain. There were no shortage of good cooks and great feasts but like a lot of the Ukrainian traditions, it seemed to die with the generation before me. :(

Brian

It was a big thing when my Grandparents were still with us.

This video was made by people in Ternopil- the area my Mother's people came from-the dialect is familiar and even some of the faces.

Many Canadians can trace their roots back to Ukraine. Canada has the 3rd largest population of Ukrainian people in the world outside of Ukraine #1 and Russia #2.

My mother was half Polish half Ukrainian and my wife is half Ukrainian and I have to brag she is an exceptional cook who strives to keep up the traditions in her cooking and takes pride in her work. What my mother hasn't passed on to her she learned from her Aunts and now she studies a lot of the cooking with the help of the Internet. My boys and I are spoiled when it comes to Christmas and any special meals, sometimes it's just overwhelming the feast that girl puts on. She is now passing as much as she can on to our Daughter Inlaws so hopefully the food traditions will be carried on for at least one more generation in our family.

Used to have a large group of Ukrainian and Armenian folks at my work place many years ago and we all had Jan 6/7 tagged in our calendars for the potluck day to fill our bellies with home made yummy food. Merry Christmas to you guys and peace to all.

Many Canadians can trace their roots back to Ukraine. Canada has the 3rd largest population of Ukrainian people in the world outside of Ukraine #1 and Russia #2.

My mother was half Polish half Ukrainian and my wife is half Ukrainian and I have to brag she is an exceptional cook who strives to keep up the traditions in her cooking and takes pride in her work. What my mother hasn't passed on to her she learned from her Aunts and now she studies a lot of the cooking with the help of the Internet. My boys and I are spoiled when it comes to Christmas and any special meals, sometimes it's just overwhelming the feast that girl puts on. She is now passing as much as she can on to our Daughter Inlaws so hopefully the food traditions will be carried on for at least one more generation in our family.

My Moms, Mom was born in Ukraine and moved to High River alberta when she was still young. My mom is the first generation on her side that was born in Canada. My great Grama was so new to the country, she could hardly speak English and had to make marks on a piece of paper because she couldn’t count in English. She passed when I was in my teens but I can remember many traditional Christmas meals and lots of the interesting traditional Ukrainian dishes she made. Mmmm luckily my mom learned the recipes for pedeheh(?) another name for a perogie, cabbage rolls and ruladin and all those other tasty recipes and has passed them on to my wife.

On the other side of the coin, my Dads native so the running joke in my family is that us kids are Ukerindians.

Back