King crab traps

Oly1

Does anyone go after king crabs up towards Kitimat/ Prince Rupert area. Wondering what kind of trap would be used or what modifications are done to the regular crab traps everyone uses to let the larger king crabs get into the traps. I have never caught a King crab, but know they are there somewhere. Also what depths and bottom structure are they found in mostly?

Oly

I fish for kings in the spring every year out of kitimat. Normally start the first week of april. This time of year they come up into the shallows and can be caught in 50-100ft of water. There has been quite a bit of pressure over the past couple of years. The vast majority of guys run 4 or 5 hoop traps and spend all day dropping and pulling traps. I built a couple of big traps last year that I can set and go hali fishing for the day. I also know of a few guys who have modified regular crab traps for this purpose. Here's a pic of one of my traps.

Have you caught King Crab in these traps?? They look very unique but also very well made. Approximately what were they worth. If you don't mind me asking. Are the traps from Canada, or the US.

Oly

i use them for box crab. cost 160$ iirc. theyre from seattle but the guy is in langley often.
they have massive openings, twin trap door fingers.

give them a try if you want, bring me back a crab when you catch a bunch

theyre aprox 4ft by 4ft and almost heavier than a brutus can handle from 300ft

edit - 70 lbs

Last edited:
I believe Bauer makes a custom king crab trap. I saw one at the Harbour Chandler last year that was a custom order for a customer.

Ladner traps makes what you need for king and Tanner crab, you can buy direct or I've seen them at Pacific net.
Looks like a large shrimp pot bit with a top tunnel entrance for the large crab.
They fish well I've used them for sport red king in Alaska and baradi Tanner crab in Washington.

Ladner traps makes what you need for king and Tanner crab, you can buy direct or I've seen them at Pacific net.
Looks like a large shrimp pot bit with a top tunnel entrance for the large crab.
They fish well I've used them for sport red king in Alaska and baradi Tanner crab in Washington.

they work great for dungy as well!!

They would work fine,in the pictures they show them full of Tanner's
I've found my Tanner spot fishing deep water dungis and had Tanner by catch in my round pots.
They are deep so a heavy pot is needed.

They would work fine,in the pictures they show them full of Tanner's
I've found my Tanner spot fishing deep water dungis and had Tanner by catch in my round pots.
They are deep so a heavy pot is needed.

How deep are you fishing for your tanner crabs? How much weight are you adding to your crab pots or are they just heavy by design.

Oly

The ladner traps are heavy by design they make them in different wieghts. Mine are forty pounds or so. The Tanner spot in the San Juan islands is around 175 feet deep, more or less.

Bump to an old thread..

I found the Crabman traps in Canada for $100 each. I think they look good.l

So have anyone went after king or Tanner crabs? It would be wicked to catch some

Back