Kinder Morgan goes rogue, proving it can’t be trusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Here is where we are going to have to agree to disagree on KM pipeline expansion to tidewater. Probably not for the reasons that you may think. I oppose the expansion of the oil industry in Canada. Stay the same size? Yes, but only if this industry can get a handle on GHGs. Currently Alberta has offered to cap at 100 Megatonnes (Mt) from around 70 Mt per year, present. So what this means there will be no chance that Alberta can help meet Canada's commitments unless others do more. That's not fair, we all have to do our share. Until I see a plan with action that sets a course to lowering GHG's then it's hard for me to change my position. I suspect that many of us feel this way."

I would agree we all have to do our part to reduce GHG, but limiting oil production in Canada will do nothing to achieve that. Canada produces about 5% of the worlds oil, any increase or decrease in production in Canada will have a negligible effect on worldwide supply or prices. The oil will come from somewhere. What should of course be supported is initiatives to reduce fossil fuel consumption in Canada, as its only through consumption decreases that GHG emissions can come down overall. To achieve the goals based on production cuts or freezes in Canada in isolation does nothing to reduce worldwide GHG emissions, only local ones.

"Here is where we are going to have to agree to disagree on KM pipeline expansion to tidewater. Probably not for the reasons that you may think. I oppose the expansion of the oil industry in Canada. Stay the same size? Yes, but only if this industry can get a handle on GHGs. Currently Alberta has offered to cap at 100 Megatonnes (Mt) from around 70 Mt per year, present. So what this means there will be no chance that Alberta can help meet Canada's commitments unless others do more. That's not fair, we all have to do our share. Until I see a plan with action that sets a course to lowering GHG's then it's hard for me to change my position. I suspect that many of us feel this way."

I would agree we all have to do our part to reduce GHG, but limiting oil production in Canada will do nothing to achieve that. Canada produces about 5% of the worlds oil, any increase or decrease in production in Canada will have a negligible effect on worldwide supply or prices. The oil will come from somewhere. What should of course be supported is initiatives to reduce fossil fuel consumption in Canada, as its only through consumption decreases that GHG emissions can come down overall. To achieve the goals based on production cuts or freezes in Canada in isolation does nothing to reduce worldwide GHG emissions, only local ones.

I've been saying the same thing on here for years, we can even take it a step further. Canada's total emissions could go to zero and it still wouldn't make a global difference. The problem is humans, nobody wants to take the hit, they want someone else to be impacted and inconvenienced without changing their own lives. This is why the squeakiest wheels (ineffectively) attack production when there's obvious ways in their own lives they could have an impact and actually do something positive today or tomorrow. It's the same reason electric cars don't sell despite being more than adequate for most.

Another thing that should be supported by those truly concerned is the reviewing of lifecycle emissions from all Canadian industries, it shouldn't only apply to pipeline expansions and energy sector projects. It should apply to our forestry, automotive and aviation sectors too. Why aren't protestors protesting Bombardier or GM? They have the same issues as they energy sector, big subsidies and big emissions.
Where's the outrage here when Bombardier gets an order for another 60 subsidised C-series jets? Maybe Tides doesn't have Boeing shares.

I believe it's Quebec...

So... where is Bombardier based - otta which province... ??

I'm not following you, are you saying no one has an opinion because this is Sport Fishing BC or because the East generally gets preferential treatment from the fed and it should be expected?

The power base of the federal Liberals is in Quebec. Don't think Tides has a big presence there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back