Kill bags or similar style fish cooler?

RiverBoy

Does anyone have any opinions on kill bags ; are they any good, are a certain brand better? do they keep ice etc?
For the price they charge for these things they damn well better....
I’m in the market for one. I remember a few years back a bunch of members went in on a group purchase... any comments on performance? thanks !

I have the Silver Horde one. Keeps ice a couple days in out climate. Better than nothing, but nothing beats packing in fish ice. It will depend on the ratio in weight of fish to ice. A styrofoam fish box would be better IMO; thicker insulation.

We have a big Canyon bag. Lasted many years 10 or more and still going strong. Very happy with it. Very strong. Weekend trips keeps it on boat and drains it in morning for new ice

Tried my new to me Reliable bag on our Barkley trip this past week. I "hung" it across the I/O engine cover on my boat and had a couple of large freezer packs and a bag of cubes. Easily held 4 nice sized springs and the freezer packs were still partially frozen and still had cubes at the end of the day even as the bag was in the sun pretty much all day. Doesn't replace the cooler for packing the sealed fish home, but sure is great to deal with them while fishing.

Tried my new to me Reliable bag on our Barkley trip this past week. I "hung" it across the I/O engine cover on my boat and had a couple of large freezer packs and a bag of cubes. Easily held 4 nice sized springs and the freezer packs were still partially frozen and still had cubes at the end of the day even as the bag was in the sun pretty much all day. Doesn't replace the cooler for packing the sealed fish home, but sure is great to deal with them while fishing.

thanks B.B. this is my exact need; while fishing only. normal cooler for transport

Bringing this thread to life. I am now searching for opinions on any bags that members have bought recently to store fish for a day while out fishing. Have a Striper 23 with space under seats and a large hold in between the helm seats. Would like a bag to store fish on ice once gilled and gutter.

Thanks in advance.

Curious to the advantage of a fish bag over a cooler? I haven't used them - also wondering how much of a pain they are to clean?

Cheers,

Curious to the advantage of a fish bag over a cooler? I haven't used them - also wondering how much of a pain they are to clean?

Cheers,

Space that is all. I carry two of the cheap Silver Horde ones. That is only because I don't have a proper fish hold on my boat.

I rinse mine out every trip. The ones I have leak so I put ice in fish bag in each of them,so there isn't any issue. Great for salmon etc. but not for halibut.

I have been using reliable kill bags in several sizes for 6 years or so. The are durable, easy to clean and hold ice well enough for my purposes. The only downside beside cost is the seams will leak very slightly. Found this out the hard way when I put one in the trunk of wife’s car loaded with ice and fish.o_O

I finally found the solution to the leaking fish bag. I have used different brands over the years for transport from boat to house. Last season having leaked fish blood and ice water in the back of the suv and kitchen floor I was told to find a solution. The Canyon bag is it. The seams are heat sealed not sewn. Problem solved. They make many different sizes with a wide range of pricing. In this case you do get what you paid for.

Heading off to Renfrew/Swiftsure in two weeks. I will post some pictures of hopefully full fish bags.

Where can a guy buy a silver horde kill bag in BC

Where can a guy buy a silver horde kill bag in BC
I've got two from Harbour Chandler in 2015 and 2018 I think. Haven't been in there this year.
Look for a Costco insulated carry bag for rock fish for about $8.00. The spines will pierce the silver horde right away. I also use one to carry and hold salt ice and lunch.

We usually go for a few hours and are only 15 minutes to home so weren’t concerned with overnight or long term solutions. Coolers were fine but didn't want a huge one even though space on boat not an issue. Bought a smaller insulated collapsible cooler to hold a bag or so of ice plus refreshments, after bonking fish and bleeding it, we dump the cooler of ice into a kill bag with fish. It keeps ice for several hours. Back at marina we clean guts out and dump water from bag. Enough ice left till we get home. No big cooler to haul, bag with fish takes up less space on boat, perfect solution for our need.

How do you like the silver horde bags I'm looking to get one as I have no space for a cooler or tub. I saw the silver horde ones on Amazon.

They are okay for day trips and to save space in small boats. They leak when the thin vinyl liner is breached, and the liner can get stuck in the zipper. Don't try to move it or drag it by one handle or it will rip. That's why I'm on # 2. You'll need to transfer to a truck cooler for the trip home whether you are on a trip or just day fishing unless you don't mind the slime in your vehicle.

Thanks for all the input. My purpose to use a bag is exactly described by Trophy's post above. Have looked at Silver Horde but might search for a Canyon.

Silver horde bags are $65 on Amazon. i know they cheap and all but i just need it to keep my fish cold when i’m in the water

I have a larger reliable bag and it is awesome. Maybe too large but I do what others noted and when fish make it onto the deck i pull the bag and put the fish with ice from the cooler into it for the duration. It does not fold well so when it is clean I just throw it into the cuddy. I would have gone for a smaller one mine must be 4'. It is very strong and I had to carry a heavy load about 2 kms on my shoulder in it recently without any issues. Great kill bag for sure.

Back