Kicker steering

Do you have power assist? If answer is no then not a problem.

yep PS is present...but if you were to install the valve before the IO's ram, and just had the main shut down then switched the valve to the kicker that would work, no? Similar as when you turn the wheel when the engine is shut off now.

When I win the lottery I'll definently keep that in mind

yep PS is present...but if you were to install the valve before the IO's ram, and just had the main shut down then switched the valve to the kicker that would work, no? Similar as when you turn the wheel when the engine is shut off now.
My setup is two station hydraulic steering with no power assist. I have a valve that can switch from the main cylinder on a 280 VP leg over to the cylinder on my kicker all of this is integrated with an AP system so you just set the course and fish if that's what your doing.

Here is the valve i have been using lately. Reason is because its flush mountable

Attachments

• tiebar valve.jpg
    tiebar valve.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 46
Inboard outboard setup you will have a side mount cylinder combined with a front mount cylinder so the diagram will change partially but you get the gist. Bit of a mind **** if you don't understand hydraulics or do it every day.

The original postee kyle8525 mentioned in his post that the boat has 2 helm steering stations. In which case I would assume he has seastar hydraulic equipment installed. He has not mentioned details in which to clarify exactly what he has. I'm only assuming.

The diagram above is for closed loop manual hydraulic steering. Consists of the following

Hydraulic helm pump
Side or front mount hydraulic cylinder
1000 psi max hydraulic hoses.

This is the system that you can add as many stations for cylinders as you would ever need on a small boat. You can then add electric over hydraulic auto pilot systems. List goes on from there.

Cannot integrate with power assisted steering from merc or volvo. They consist of a cable driven helm, power steering pump that is belt driven off the engine like a truck, and a hydraulic ram mounted to the stern drive inner gimbal housing. It works on binding pressure from the cable. Wierd setup but it works. Cannot integrate.

Hope this clarifies things.

Looks like this system won't work on a stern drive with power steering. Is anyone using it on a Mercruiser I/O with engine drive power steering pump?
I have power steering on my brand new power (volvo penta) it has a very weird ram assembly set up and its no problem like pro said exactly make sure drive is straight and switch valves have had his in place for many years. I have 2 hydrolic helms uni flite in the rear as it has a SS shaft and seastar in the front
where are you located?? im in sooke area if you want to look...

Wolf

I have power steering on my brand new power (volvo penta) it has a very weird ram assembly set up and its no problem like pro said exactly make sure drive is straight and switch valves have had his in place for many years. I have 2 hydrolic helms uni flite in the rear as it has a SS shaft and seastar in the front
where are you located?? im in sooke area if you want to look...

Wolf

You have hydraulic manual steering

also power steering

Right same as mine, hydraulic to the steering ram at the transom plate plus a typical V8 style power steering pump and 2 lines that also attach to the same steering ram, correct? I'm guessing your kicker steering valve is inline between the helm and the ram. If the valve is open what's the deal if you need the main fired up? Do you have to make 100% certain that valve to the kicker is closed first so the ps pressure doesnt harm that system?

This is power steering. Power steering pump that provides constant pressure into the steering ram and has a return line. This is hydraulic however its hydraulic power assisted. The ram then gets cable pressure onto a release valve mechanism and then allows the pressure to go through the valve. These pressure lines are flared lines mounted to the ram. If you were to tie in hydraulic cylinder to these lines lol. Yeah not happening.

Attachments

• 25365 (1).png
    25365 (1).png
    535 KB · Views: 24
Dont ask me how or why But yes it is happening on my boat hence why maybe he needs to look at it ,,
What I do know is it works GREAT on my boat the system I have has 2 - 3 way valves and 2 rams one to main one to kicker and its tied in and if i remeber right there is 7 lines and it wasnt hard to do at all here is a pic of the engine and it defiantly has power steering this is the V6 mine is the V8 300 hp but same idea same set up

new-v6-engine-volvo-penta-17044-9892609.jpg

Interesting for 2 reasons, Wolf, one maybe I stayed up too late but I don't see a traditional chevy V8 style power steering pump on that engine above and second (albeit unrelated) why does volvo have to continue to put the impeller as far away as possible in the bottom of the bilge, kills me every time I change it out haha.

its there ,see the white cap on top of the coolant reservoir beside the black one thats the filler for it to the far left is where you change to oil filter the big red one with HUGE nut ill try and take a picture when im on it next has to be there somewhere LOL

impeller as far away as possible in the bottom of the bilge,
yeah everything on this engine is weird see the box on the far right thats the heat exchanger... mine also has the Valve beside the Blue in water flush system its not shown in the picture that I pull the pin out and it drains the WHOLE system to be flushed (into bilge though)

Back