Kicker stalled and wont start

Fisherman Rob

The other day my 2006 Yamaha 6hp stalled on me while trolling. It stopped running very suddenly and would not start again. A couple of months ago I replaced a fuel filter that had a crack in it and otherwise it's been running perfectly since. I notice that the fuel filter has a bubble of air inside it. Is that normal? When I pump the ball I can see fuel passing through the filter, but no ignition. I pulled the spark plug cables and reconnected, but nothing. Oil level looks fine on the dip stick. I can't confirm if I had cooling water right before it quit, but I thought if it had overheated it would fire again after cooling down. It didn't appear to be overly hot and steaming. Any ideas?

Did you see spark when you checked the plugs? I assume the engine is cranking which means to me that overheat isn't the problem-either fuel or spark.

It’s a pull start, so it’s cranking but that’s me. I’ll check the carbs. The way it cut out immediately made me think it might be electrical. When I’ve experienced fuel supply issue before, the motor revs vary for a few seconds before stalling.

Just tried to pull it with a plug out and can't see any spark. It's in the driveway in bright sun so hard to tell. Will try again later.

Last edited:
The plugs should be wet if it’s getting fuel but not spark.

Just a reminder that you gotta touch the spark
Plug to the motor while pulling to check spark. You should be able to see it even if it’s bright out

i just had the same thing happen, started with the carb because it did sit for a bit, so thought it might be gummed up. Cleaned carb and still no go. No spark so i took the coil off to bench test it with volt meter. As i was removing the coil, i noticed the wire connectors (sort of a but connector, in clear plastic shrink wrap of sort) were totally frail. I removed the wrap and noticed they were totally corroded. I reconnected them using but connectors and shrink wrap and it starts well now.
Hope that makes sense and helps.

just confirmed no spark on the upper plug. Thanks sea ranger, I'll check out the connectors at the coil. Still don't think I should be seeing a big air bubble in the fuel filter though.

Last edited:
When an engine quits suddenly while running like you turned off a key it will almost always be ignition related. Fuel restriction will usually result in any of the following, rough running, loss of power/rpms, surging, lean cough, unburnt fuel behind the boat etc. I would doubt coils, plugs or wires as it should still run (being a twin cylinder) if one of those packed it in. Maybe the powerpack caved.

I had a spark plugs inner porcelain break free, had I not flipped the plug and seen it moved never would have found that as the plug looked new. Of corse this was after a new coil etc. This on 8hp 2cyl so wouldn’t run on 1. Throw those champion plugs in the trash!

After attempting some basic troubleshooting, I gave up and took it into the local shop. Turns out the power pack is malfunctioning and that is a crazy expensive part (~$400) and on back order. They didn't have any used parts that match this model in the shop. Anyone know where I might source a power pack for a 2006 6hp Yamaha? Preferably lower island. Apparently it is specific to the year, but one from an 8hp also works. The power pack is a 68R series.

Last edited:
Still looking for a used power pack for a 2 cylinder Yamaha 6 if anyone knows someone with parts. Apparently a power pack from a 8 will fit also.

Have you tried eBay. I needed a carb for my kicker and had no luck for ages, found a new one on eBay though and it worked great.

Back