Kicker Size

Ringo

Crew Member
I’m planning to add a kicker to my 2005 Campion 542. Not sure if a long shaft (20”) would be the right size kicker for my boat or if I should be looking for a 25”. I have called a couple of dealers and they have given me mixed info. Called Campion and they are suggesting an extra long shaft!

I already have a Suzuki DF140 as the main. Any comments on pairing it with a zuki kicker - that is if I can find a good used one? Or should I opt for other brands?

Last edited:
I’m planning to add a kicker to my 2005 Campion 542. Not sure if a long shaft (20”) would be the right size kicker for my boat or if I should be looking for a 25”. I have called a couple of dealers and they have given me mixed info. Called Campion and they are suggesting an extra long shaft!

I already have a Suzuki DF140 as the main. Any comments on pairing it with a zuki kicker, if I can find a good used one? Or should I opt for other brands?

You dont need an extra long shaft for that boat. Long shaft is fine. I run one on my mailbu 185 and hull is way deeper than yours. I would get the suzuki if it were me.

I will measure mine and let you know what it is. I have the same boat only a bit older. Kicker works just fine.
Not sure what mine is exactly.
9.9 Mercury, measures 48 inches from top of cowling to bottom of skeg.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You dont need an extra long shaft for that boat. Long shaft is fine. I run one on my mailbu 185 and hull is way deeper than yours. I would get the suzuki if it were me.
The ‘05 542 is the new hull, so will, I suspect be deeper than your Malibu. I had a long shaft on my 03 542 so the el might make sense.

Thanks, guys. I made more calls to a few dealers (yes, Gallion Marine too!) and they weren't able to give me a definite answer. Unbelievable the amount of BS advise you may get from dealers :confused:

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I will measure mine and let you know what it is. I have the same boat only a bit older. Kicker works just fine.
Not sure what mine is exactly.
9.9 Mercury, measures 48 inches from top of cowling to bottom of skeg.
Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. Would you be able to measure from the bottom of the cowling to the cavitation plate? That would give the shaft size.

For a kicker, Longer is always better then shorter.
Your not looking for top speed or fuel economy from a kicker, deeper will give you traction and better steering.
What’s your measurement from the top of the mount, to the bottom of the boat? Anything over 21” up to 26” I would get the XL shaft.

This guy has an XL

Attachments

• 4AFAB89D-C2B8-4224-86EE-D94A631D30F1.png
    4AFAB89D-C2B8-4224-86EE-D94A631D30F1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
My son has a 2006 -542 Campion with a 140 Suzuki and a 9.9 Yamaha extra long shaft.He had to add a small transom bracket so that the shift-throttle cable front brackets cleared his transom when tilted all the way up.He's very happy with the setup.

Thanks, guys. Extra long shaft it is then. Anyone has a lead on a good used XL kicker? :p;)

For a kicker, Longer is always better then shorter.
Your not looking for top speed or fuel economy from a kicker, deeper will give you traction and better steering.
What’s your measurement from the top of the mount, to the bottom of the boat? Anything over 21” up to 26” I would get the XL shaft.

This guy has an XL

+1
You'll appreciate the XL shaft when it's snotty out and the boat is bouncing all over the place. I've been in a few boats with the kicker bouncing out of the water when it's rough and it makes keeping a certain track in rough conditions all the harder. All upside with little downside when opting for the longer shaft.

+1
You'll appreciate the XL shaft when it's snotty out and the boat is bouncing all over the place. I've been in a few boats with the kicker bouncing out of the water when it's rough and it makes keeping a certain track in rough conditions all the harder. All upside with little downside when opting for the longer shaft.
Indeed. That plus trolling in big currents like Fraser mouth would be more effective with the extra long shaft.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks guys.

The extra long (25 inches) is the most common kicker on the market in the salt. The longer XX long (30 inches) is used mostly by the sailing crowds...the older Yamaha XX longs were white instead of the normal blue. I have a 22 Seasport and use the extra long. Never have prop cavitation in the rough stuff.

Measured from the front/bottom of the cowling to the top of the cavitation plate and mine is only 21 inches. The prop does extend below the bottom of the boat however. I could send you a picture if you like. Original motor that apparently came with the boat. All motors and boat are 1998

Outboards shafts are> 15 inch - short 20 inch - long 25 inch - extra long 30 inch XX long

one more vote for xl

prop deeper in the water for when your sideways to the wave and like keeping your prop underwater.
motor can be higher out of the water instead of burried deep to keep prop from sucking air, less salt water in the engine compartment

*** i also just swapped from a manual to power tilt, one of those things i wonder why i didnt do sooner!!! so worth the extra money!

I talked to Maple Marine and they also recommended Xl. A bit more money and tad heavier but I huess it’ll pay off in long run.

I was also told that the new Suzuki xl 9.9 only comes with electric start and trim. I’m still hoping that I’ll find a clean used kicker but they rarely come up for sale locally....

one more vote for xl

prop deeper in the water for when your sideways to the wave and like keeping your prop underwater.
motor can be higher out of the water instead of burried deep to keep prop from sucking air, less salt water in the engine compartment

*** i also just swapped from a manual to power tilt, one of those things i wonder why i didnt do sooner!!! so worth the extra money!

+1 on the power tilt/trim. I can't believe that I used to do it manually.

Back