kicker hp for 21' wellcraft?

cletus

I just bought a new leftover 09 wellcraft 210 coastal from a dealer in san fran.I'm picking it up next week and want some advice on a kicker.I'm thinkin 8hp or 9.9hp,now should i go with the regular or high thrust?Also whats a good sounder gps combo with radar capabilities around the $1000 mark?I'm willing to spend more for the right unit.
Thanks

I would go with the high thrust model. I looked at them both when I was in the market for a kicker. Happy with my 9.9 high thrust bigfoot :) You will want something that can keep you moving if your main engine goes down. Max water speed with my kicker is 7mph.

The 9.9 yam was a downgraded 15 now its a upgraded 8. High thrust for sure with autotilt I would try and find a new old 9.9 like a 2007 or 08 as I think the change over came in 09, some one else can anwser that one. Ask dealers if they can look for old stock. If not 9.9 Yam is by far the best...for 2011 PS charging system has also changed less put out. Why do they alway screw with things that work great...I use a HDS7.

I have a 21' trophy hardtop,the thing is a freakin tank.My 8 hi thrust yammi is more than enough power,trolled on that thing in all kinds of weather

I use a 9.9 hi-thrust yammi on my Orca and it will always push it. It is an older model so it is a downgraded 15, just as hourston said. I would opt for the older 9.9 as it has a higher charge rate, more power to push a Wellcraft -if you need it and the motor doesn't have to work so hard day in and out.They are power tilt so you can have a cheaper fixed bracket. I would look for one down the states-I wouldn't doubt that the dealer you bought from would be able to help you. I believe the new 9.9 are as hourston says are just upgraded 8hp-I believe this occured in 08. Good luck on your new ride.

cletus: I have a 21.5 Campion Explorer with a 200 Optimax and 2005 Yamaha HT 9.9. The kicker works great on my boat, I maybe would do fine with the 8 but I prefer to have a little more power in reserve if ever needed.

...Rob

Thanks for the advice,sounds like either will do.Boat weighs in at 3575 dry.The dealer doesn't have any HT yammis right know just mercs and tohatsu,and i've never heard of tohatsu.If i can get a good deal i'll go with a merc,at least the warrantys good in canada.The 150 yammi has a 5 year warranty,but i have to take it across the line for any warranty repair.

Cletus:
Have a 9.9hp Merc(big ft. long shft) on my 21' Had a 9.9 Yammi HT before bigger prop, more bite & pwr. in reverse , no pwr. tilt on yammi good option if u have the extra $ & foward controls mind u i have dual steering stations.

Go with a 9.9 High Thrust and you will be sure to have sufficient push for fishing areas with strong currents and wind. There is not much worse than having your kicker at full throttle against the current and standing still or worse going backwards while pointed forward. There is a reason the most popular kicker with guides is the older design 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust. As others have suggested, if you can find a new older design Yam 9.9 buy it.

I have been using a 9.8 Tohatsu for two years on a 20 footer. The only change I made was going to a four blade prop. Very happy with it and it was a lot cheaper than the competition.

Tohatsu will work fine on your rig. If you can afford the power tilt/electric start feature buy it! I love how quick I can get my kicker in the water and start trolling!

Back