Kicker Fuel Feeding

F

fah cups

Just built and installed a aluminum forty gallon fuel tank in the old Glasply. Got the bright idea to feed the kicker off the main tank instead of a day tank. I have a single fuel outlet from the the tank to a Racor filter which feeds the main inboard fine. Taped into the Racor second oulet to feed the kicker. Can't seem to pull fuel to the kicker which is around two and a half feet, higher than the Racor and fuel tank! Any ides and advice greatly appreciated. Cheers FC

got it on the right arrow on the racor mine filter has two in lets and two outlets make sure you tapped into the right outlets and it should be good to go

Yep mine has two as well. Made sure kicker was on the second outlet. Maybe I have to prime the line. Can hear air or something in the tank when Iam trying to pull fuel with thr primer bulb. Cheers FC

I put a new tank in last year and copied the original with 2 seperate lines...one for main one for auxiliary. If one line plugs up I don't loose both engines. Make sure you use a small diameter line between the bulb and the kicker. That will make it easier for the pump to draw up fuel. When I change filters on my kicker fuel line it takes lots of priming to get fuel back up. I usually fill the filter, get the kicker running of the fuel in the carb and pump like hell. It takes a bit of effort and time with you and the kicker pump working together to get it primed again. I do the same with the main but the pump on the main is so much stronger it doesn't take long to re-prime that line.

Did you put an anti siphon valve on it?? so when your main pulls the gas it doesnt pull from your kicker line?? cause what it will do over time is streth the diaphram on your kicker(fuel pump) and it wont run and wont hold gas in the line as it only draws about 3 lbs pressure where your main draws about 5 to 7 lb that why they put those valves on.
I just did it to mine as well with a shut off valve on it before it.

Hope that helps.

I think I have a spare fuel pump kit let me know

Beat me to it rollie funny I basically wrote the same thing

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Good advice here, as always.
Will add to Profisher and Wolf though.
When changing the main filter, to get the new filter and gas line primed, disconnect the fuel line from the motor and get a volunteer to use a brass screwdriver or brass key to depress the little ball valve at the end of the fuel line connection. (Brass only please, no sparking wanted) This will let air and gas out of the line. Keep the line open and pump the primer ball to draw gas into the filter and the gas line. Once the filter and gas line are full and passing gas, reconnect to motor and start motor.
Be careful, no smoking, a bit of spillage will occur but not much(a few ounces) but thats why you found a volunteer.

Good advice here, as always.
Will add to Profisher and Wolf though.
When changing the main filter, to get the new filter and gas line primed, disconnect the fuel line from the motor and get a volunteer to use a brass screwdriver or brass key to depress the little ball valve at the end of the fuel line connection. (Brass only please, no sparking wanted) This will let air and gas out of the line. Keep the line open and pump the primer ball to draw gas into the filter and the gas line. Once the filter and gas line are full and passing gas, reconnect to motor and start motor.
Be careful, no smoking, a bit of spillage will occur but not much(a few ounces) but thats why you found a volunteer.

When you prime the fuel system, point the fuel ball(the end that goes to the motor)up. It works much better that way.

When you prime the fuel system, point the fuel ball(the end that goes to the motor)up. It works much better that way.

Hey outstanding advice guys. To damm cold to go outside and try them all right now lol. Again thanks Iam sure I will get the kicker going now! Cheers Fc

I had a similar problem with my Yami 9.9. The problem turned out to be the fuel pump was overheating the fuel and it would vaporize. Simple solution was to liquid metal a metal fuel tube onto the back of the fuel pump and then connect my water spitter tube to the metal fuel tube to run cold water across the fuel pump thereby cooling it and stopping the vaporization.

The other potential problem which I have also encountered is the plastic fuel line connector has a hairline crack in it allowing air into the system.

So, I would prime the system to be sure you have fuel flow, and if the engine cannot self pump, check your connections to make sure no air leaks and then as a last resort check the fuel pump to make sure it isn't overheating and causing your fuel to vaporize.

Been there, done that, and have all the T-shirts...so I feel your pain!!!:(

Searun

th_067.jpg

Howdy. I have a anti-siphon ferral fitting at the outlet of fuel tank. Ball valve betweeb the racor and tank. Ball valve to shut down demand for the kicker, so main engine won't pull fuel from then kicker. All fittings are tight. When I tried to prime kicker line I left of fuel fitting to the kicker. I could hear suction at the tank but was not substained. Will try this weekend to run kicker off day tank as I ran all the fuel down in carb prior to winteriztion last fall.Once running I will shut down and connect new line to main tank fire up the kicker and as Pro-Fisher said pump like hell. Should do the trick. Again thanks for all the advice and for the parts offer Wolf. Cheers FC

????? weird you got something going on I have a ball valve at the tank for shut off purposes(DOT) then a line that goes to the filter then it is has a T both with ball valve but on the kicker ball valve it has the anti siphon ferral on it and I am see no problems with this set up .

im thinking with the way you have yours Jim that your kicker doesnt have enough pull to suck thru the filter then the valve as going tru the filter first is ok but then getting to the anti siphon I bet its not enough to open the little ill call it a "bearing"(on the anti siphon) as you lost too much by the time it reaches there???As those little pumps only give about 3 lbs of suck. maybe try moving things around ?????

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Starting to sound more like you have an overheating fuel pump that gets overworked and vaporizes the fuel to the point it can't pump.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Hey thanks for the offer Wolf. Will try and get her running on Sunday. Cheers FC

Back