kicker charges battery

T

tundra

Hi guys: I just bought a 1996 Evinrude 9.9 two stroke with a battery cable. While trolling, I want to use this kicker to charge a battery which will power two downriggers and a fish finder. This will be a "one motor to one battery" set up.

Do I need to have some kind of regulator or isolator in between of the kicker and the battery, or I can connect the kicker battery cable to the battery directly?

thank you in advance.

you can connect it directly however the batt may become overcharged, you will probably need to check the electrolyte level frequently.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Hmmm… I guess since there are battery cables, there is a “stator”? I would be surprised if that stator is producing more than 5 amps? I would also have to believe if there is a stator, there is a regulator to go with it. That should not create an overcharged condition. The amps of an outboard stator usually does not output enough to keep the battery charged to full capacity, especially with any equipment in use. I doubt while running - the float stage of the battery will be ever achieved? That usually takes 13.4 volts and less than 1 amp current being drawn. So, basically start the engine, turn everything off, let it run, and sooner-or-later you will achieve 100% charge.

Over-charging... is a different story, but again the posibility of overcharging a battery with a 5 or 6 amp stator, is very unlikely; however, you still don't want to run two seperate engine systems to charge the same battery, as can create problems with one of the charging systems? e.g. "blow a stator"

The best kickers for keeping batteries topped up are the new 4 strokes. Yami's put out 12 to 13 amps at a normal trolling speed. Enough to handle electronics and the normal up and down on the riggers.

Thanks everyone!
I read the manual of the motor. It says: "Alternator 5 amps nonregulated". Does it make any difference in connecting with a battery?

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

you can connect it directly however the batt may become overcharged, you will probably need to check the electrolyte level frequently.
X2
Non-regulated? That would be possible, but only 5 amps per hour going in - you should be using more than that? Just check and keep an eye on the battery water level!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!
like I said. I dont know why some people contradict my advice. I do this ****e for a living, I should know what im talking about.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Smiley, my 9.9 Yami is the older big block (15hp) model. I know it and the original 9.9 put out 12 to 14 amps. The new 9.9 is really an 8 hp block stroked to a 9.9hp.

Most modern fish finders have a display to monitor battery power, so you could monitor your battery charge that way as well.

I have a Yamaha T8. They have (or you can add on) a rectifier/regulator. The ignition system is AC and this device will convert to DC which you can wire up to charge your battery. Mine produces enough power to keep up with sonar, radio, gps and two Scotty electrics. I like to use the voltage meter on the sonar (Garmin) to keep an eye on the battery condition while trolling with the kicker.

I recently purchased a Yamaha T8, and had the rectifier kit added...first sea trial, I am showing 15.9V on my Garmin sounder even after trolling an hour. A bit concerned w the voltage level especially considering friends with similar set ups seeing low 14V’s max - anyone with a similar set up share these concerns or should I be considering some sort of after market regulator?

I recently purchased a Yamaha T8, and had the rectifier kit added...first sea trial, I am showing 15.9V on my Garmin sounder even after trolling an hour. A bit concerned w the voltage level especially considering friends with similar set ups seeing low 14V’s max - anyone with a similar set up share these concerns or should I be considering some sort of after market regulator?
Charlie, have you taken a Multimeter set to DC and checked what the actual output is on your 2 Stroke when it is running at trolling speeds? You may have a motor with only a starter and no Stator / battery isolator set up to charge batteries when running. You may have a motor with the full install with the Stator / battery isolator and you may find out when you go to check the actual output that the isolator - regulator is blown. This does happen and you may be fooled into believing you are charging when in fact the motor cannot charge or will not charge.

Boiling batteries dry as alluded to here is a real possibility. You may want to set up a house / accessory dual battery setup to protect the main battery which presumably will not be drained down by the riggers radio and electronics.

Drewski

If all you had was a rectifier installed and not a rectifier/regulator, then yes you can expect the voltage to climb above 15 volts. It is unregulated voltage, and could climb over 17+ volts. This could cause the electrolyte to "boil" or gas, and as a result you will lose fluid in your batteries,

edit confusing thread. just reread it

Stator or charging coils make A/C voltage. Rectifier take A/C and converts it to DC. For example, lets say your creating 15volts A/C and you send that through a rectifier. You will end up with 15volts DC minus whatever voltage drop which will be super tiny. Then the regulator then steps it up or down and regulates the output. This is why they have cooling fins most of the time. The evinrudes had a little round rectifier with yellow wires. If it had a rectifier it would have cooling fins on it

Nobody cares about everyones fancy new kickers. The guy just want to know a simple question

Last edited:
If it has battery cables it has a charging circuit. Will not over charge. Yes these all have regulators. @islandfishlifter was right

Stator or charging coils make A/C voltage. Rectifier take A/C and converts it to DC. For example, lets say your creating 15volts A/C and you send that through a rectifier. You will end up with 15volts DC minus whatever voltage drop which will be super tiny. Then the regulator then stepped it down and regulates the output. This is why they have cooling fins most of the time.

Nobody cares about everyones fancy new kickers. The guy just want to know a simple question
If it is a 1996 Evinrude 2 stroke, then it only came with a rectifier and not a rectifier/regulator. Aftermarket rectifier/regulators are available, but OEM only supplied a rectifier for this year and model. Although this likely will not harm the battery, having up 17+ volts going to other sensitive electronics may exceed their recommended input voltage. I might add that the regulator part of the rectifier/regulator controls the voltage to a preset limit, usually between 14 and 15volts dc. It cannot step the voltage up, only prevent it from going over a predetermined voltage. So if the "lighting" circuit produces more then the regulated voltage, what happens to the excess voltage? It is dissipated as heat either through an air or water cooled heat sink. In practice the battery in an unregulated charging circuit on an outboard acts as a giant capacitor and effectively removes the spikes and ripples seen in the dirty voltage from the rectifier. The battery effectively prevents these spikes and ripples from reaching the voltage sensitive electronics on our boats. Another good reason to have a dedicated fused control panel for our electronics. As a word of caution do not run a regulated charging system when it is not connected to a battery as the regulator has nowhere to send the voltage and will smoke itself in short order.

Last edited:
Yeah its pretty light duty stuff were talking. I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Back