Key Tips To Consistent Mature Chinook Hook Ups

profisher

There has been help offered here to individuals who are struggling with getting hooked up into mature Chinook on a consistent basis. So I thought a thread dedicated to advice to help these people was in order.

My advice to those who have not yet become confident in their ability to catch these fish when others seem to be.

1. If you have many hours trying on your own and feel you are truly not up to where you want to be ....hire a competent guide and show him what you are doing...especially with your bait roll...this is the cheapest and fastest way to determine if you have been wasting your time with your presentation or if you need to look elsewhere for your problem.
2. Don't overthink it!!!!! Fish are not smart!! Master the basics...the rest is all fluff!!
3. The basics are knowing the best locations for the tide you intend to fish (learn what spots produce best on an ebb and which produce best on a flood) and just as important learn when you should give up an a spot based on known prime bite periods that often occur at certain points during a tide. Stick and stay until that prime time passes, especially if the radio chatter suggests that the bite you waited for has happened in other locations. Watch where the boats that do produce and observe their tack. If they are fishing in 70 feet of water and hitting fish and you are in 90 feet of water and aren't.....close might as well be a mile!!!!
4. Depth, trolling speed and colour are important...but bait roll is THE MOST IMPORTANT!! You have to know what a proper roll looks like...this can be tight, wide or somewhere in between. Roll speed is also important...especially in strong currents. My bait does the same revolution speed when I'm trolling my 2.3 miles per hour in slack water as it does when I have to crank up the boat speed to up to 4 miles per hour in a full on flood tide. You should not concern yourself with how fast you are trolling to keep from going backwards in the current....set your speed to make some slight headway then manipulate your bait to make the roll slow down to a normal rate of roll at that trolling speed. That is easier said then done...probably the hardest thing to learn when it comes to bait for a novice.
5. Accept that CHINOOK don't bite all day and just because you spent 4 hours in a spot and had no luck doesn't mean you are doing something wrong or that the place you were fishing sucks!!! Were others nailing fish all around you or was it quite for most? If it was quite the bite probably hadn't happened yet and leaving means you missed it when it did happen. The top rods pound a spot back and forth waiting for the bite and watch the other boats around them for the first signs of that bite. I might be at one end of the tack and will notice a boat sideways at the other end of the tack...to me this means the fish are likely holding down at the other end and I'm turning back now to get my gear through that spot before the bite ends. When I do get there I'll find someone I trust to confirm a depth to ensure my gear is in the zone.

But when all else fails....see #1 !!!!!

If a rod twitches -move and get it-quickly- don't sit and wait to see if it breaks of. If there is a fish there and you haven't broken off don't assume its a shaker. Break it off and get contact with the fish-if it breaks off reel like h--ll to get on that fish and have firm contact. If for any reason the line goes slack-don't assume you've lost the fish-reel like the hounds of hell are on you-until you see that flasher rotating. More guys lose fish because they allow contact to be lost-it can happen-fish charge boats, boats drift back on fish -you can't assume he's gone until you see that flasher rotate.

This is a very generous post. Thanks for consistently producing stuff like this while others get frustrated with the politics of the forum and wander off. Your advice applies to many areas. Are there any successful fishermen in Sooke running hardware, especially when the pinks are forcing you to re-bait and not fish one rod?

Complete Salt Newb, but old hat at fishing.

More and more I have come to learn that it is mostly LUCK that results in fish. Fishermen are all bull spitters. They want other to believe that they have SKILL when really all they have is LUCK.

The skill comes in knowing to be at the right place at the right time with a presentation that looks right for the circumstance. Outside of this, it's all LUCK. Don't let anyone's ego tell you otherwise.

Not that I profess to play in the same league as Rollie but I caught my share of decent fish in recent years. From what I have seen and learnt I would put the utmost importance on item #3 above. I cannot confirm that there is a certain roll type that consistently produces better. I have caught slabs on pretty sloppy rolls and nothing when I thought it rolls perfectly. I believe that when springs get hungry and you are there, they will grab an anchovie anyway even if the roll is solala. Another thing that Rollie has not mentioned above and I pay attention to: fish have an incredible sense of smell; I always make sure that I do not get stuff like sun screen, bug spray, fuel etc. anywhere near my bait or lures. I have learnt that lesson the hard way - not with salmon but other fish on the old continent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this Profisher. I do fairly well given I'm only a couple years into salmon fishing (excluding when I was a kid) and rarely end up skunked but I never seem to break the 10-15lb barrier.
I've never been on a charter unless you count me working for my uncle bringing him beer and food as a kid (ah the good ol' days), do you think booking one with the intention of learning to improve my own fishing, specifically finding the medium/larger fish is a good idea? I don't think I need help finding fish in general...

Complete Salt Newb, but old hat at fishing.

More and more I have come to learn that it is mostly LUCK that results in fish. Fishermen are all bull spitters. They want other to believe that they have SKILL when really all they have is LUCK.

The skill comes in knowing to be at the right place at the right time with a presentation that looks right for the circumstance. Outside of this, it's all LUCK. Don't let anyone's ego tell you otherwise.

There is no such thing as luck. There is only statistics. Far too often we explain things we don't understand by attributing it to luck. For example... Two guys go fishing in two identical boats. They use the same techniques and use exactly the same gear. They fish the same area on the same tide. Guy One gets a nice fish, Guy Two gets skunked. Some might say Guy One is just lucky, but what we didn't see is that the fish rolled into the spot when Guy One was on the right tack and Guy Two was busy turning.

There is no luck. Don't use it as a crutch to explain some happening when all that is going on is that we are not aware of, or don't understand, all the variables.

Good fishermen, hunters, and "Ladies Men" find something that works through trial and error, experimentation, or research. Then they apply their learnings consistently while constantly observing the results. They keep records and look for patterns and differences when they change things up. And if we are lucky, they share a few morsels with us to point us in the right direction. I would say most of these accomplished folks want to give us just enough info to generate our own independent enthusiasm for the sport such that we will do what they did and "figure it out for ourselves". I try to remember this when I feel like I have had a stinker of a day and want to beg for the secret sauce... It's darn tough.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

What Rollie put YES and ill add DETAILS have you ever wondered hmmmm why did we gt a fish there?? what did i do differently??pay attention .

as for the smell thing maybe for fresh water but for salmon dont think it matters really look at a brand new shiny flasher and spoon out of package get fish right away and brined bait gets fish .

guys who still spray the **** out of stuff with WD-40 . which BTW you might as well dip it in gas or oil as THEY dont put fish oil in it anymore....

charlie white used to produce "bildge oil water" even had a video of it a hootchie covered in sticky mess.
ill say 95% skill 4 % luck
1 % just plain **** house luck when a newbie gets a 50 lb on a red devil spoon from sask......LOL LOL

Some good advice on here all you have to do is apply it now go out and buy some pike and muskie gear ....LOL

Good luck Wolf

I would add Boat Set Up, Efficiency and Networking.

My boat is a former guide boat and when I first started fishing it I was really impressed by how efficiently it was set up to catch fish. You need to have good quality equipment and everything set up and working well, which all top guides have. For example yesterday we went out off Sooke harbour late at 10:15 and dropped the gear and caught the last part of a bite. We had the kicker down and started and the main off, all remotely in 10 seconds and the gear down and working a couple of minutes later (plastic while we set up the chovies). Two minutes after that we got a 16 lber. A couple of other Chinook were also caught by nearby boats and then the bite went off. We got that fish because we were able to get the gear down fast and efficiently. I compare that to other boats I have fished on at times where you struggled with getting the kicker mount to release and manually get the kicker down and then pull start the motor repeatedly trying to get it started until it finally does, if it does. The boat is set up in many other ways to be efficient at catching fish from the transom mounted additional hydraulic helm so you can adjust heading easily and quickly while playing fish, setting gear and avoiding other boats and kelp, to the mounting position of the riggers which are easily accessed to quickly work gear and can be swung forward and out of the way to land fish.

I have noticed that many top guides are well networked with other guides and fishing friends and nowadays don't use the VHF so much as text each other. The ability to pull your gear, get up on the main, move nearby, get back on the kicker in seconds and the gear down can make the difference with hitting that location and bite.

It helps if you are fishing everyday like guides, because you will see the bite times and locations and learn the patterns and know that with the tide change advancing, the bite the next day at that location may be an hour or so later.

I have noticed that those who catch more big Chinook fish specific locations and tacs purposely, while those who do not often seem to be cruising rather aimlessly up and down the coastline, which may catch you Pinks and Coho, but less Chinook.

Have your gear ready-by that I mean have all your hootchys pre-tied, the spoons you are going to use pre-tied. If their is nothing going on I pre-bait 4 or so anchovies and hang them in the brine bucket in the cooler . I am always amazed by some guys on my boat who have to re-tie everything when they want a change of lure- the result of this is 3 fold-if the bite comes on he'll miss some of it or if the leader is wrecked he misses more time- He/ she spends a lot of time tying and out of the water and most importantly he doesn't want to change gear much because it is such a pain!! LOL Planning-what to fish-where to fish and where to go if the area you want to fish is not available. This of course goes along with networking. Keep a journal-be your own networker-my journals go back over 20 years and even today I will go back and look at dates around when I am going to fish, and check what worked depths etc. Doesn't guarantee anything but it's a very good place to start. Experiment but always have a known quantity down to experiment against. Right now for example I am playing with some stuff they use for salmon in the great lakes-"who'd a thunk-it" worked really well in Nootka-will it work OFF-shore I'll try it in Winter Harbour tomorrow--against an ANCHOVY. Wolfe and Rollie are right -if you want to cut your learning time go out with a very knowledgeable guide or someone who is a high-liner. If you feel it's LUCK then you definitely need some help!! LOL

Good tips have been posted , may i add , Be prepared for changes through out the day , ever notice the subtle changes that occur in a day or over the week , water colour changes , clarity , cloudy or sunny , water temp changes , and of course tides . Don't get" Stubborn" because you caught a fish @ 28 " on a red flasher with 61 " leader on a green anchovey special back in 1999 this set up does not necessarily mean it will work great today at 8;35 am . i have learned to be FLEXIBLE with the important things like depth - colour - speed , through the day and when you find a good combo stay with it ! if you want to change play with one side of the boat only and leave one side out that you are getting hits on . Sometimes it is only very subtle changes that will make a difference . So again my tip is to be flexible and include the changes that do occur , that's why they call it fishing, and yes " LUCK IS A ATTITUDE "

Rockfish; I agree with all you said whole heartedly but do you want to know how you would have caught your 16# despite maybe a manual kicker bracket? GET UP 5 MIN EARLIER!!!!! lolol

What would you guys look for on revolutions per second on bait? I used to fish Sooke years ago and we all tried to have a slow 1 to 2 revolutions. What works best for you?

Observe things and create a good buddy network..Learn from others. And above all when people are struggling help them out ( that is extremely important and good karma).. And always leave the ego at the door at does you no good. Guide or non-guide there are lots of people to learn from...

Here is a couple more and while they seem obvious we could do them more often than we do even though we know better.

Sharpen you Hooks and keep them sharp. Keep the hook file nearby and drill your self to check your hooks after they have played fish. It takes a second and a half and a few seconds to touch up if necessary.

If you fish lures or bait with the line tied directly to the hook so that the line ends up in the mouth of the fish, run your fingers over the leader in front of the hook for abrasion and swap out the teaser head or lure as necessary. Chinook and Coho have very sharp teeth and can do a number on leader and you do not want to break off your next big one.

If you fish bait it is critical that someone is watching the rod tip all the time. Even a 10inch grilse or a tiny rockfish hit will show on a rod tip if someone is watching that tip. With experience you will learn to tell the difference of an actual hit from even a very small fish as opposed to a rod tip movement from the rod adjusting in the rod holder on a turn ect. or the rather slower pull of a weed hitting the bow of the line down to the release clip.

Far to often lately we have pulled in Anchovies that have been just hammered and no one noticed the hit. If you and your crew are in a social mood, eating and telling stories and not CONSTANTLY watching the rod tips you are better off fishing plastic or spoons etc. At the very least when you know you have been inattentive in watching the rod tips, pull them and do a bait and weed check frequently. Once hit bait is almost always useless for catching salmon and you are no longer fishing until it is changed. For us I would say this is one area where we could improve our big Chinook hookup and catch rate. Unless you are fishing by yourself there really is no excuse for missing a hit on bait or a big fish on and if you have three on board you should never miss a hit on bait yet we manage too miss the hits far too often. If you have someone who is a good tip watcher, the ones who do not look down when they want a sandwich out of the bag, but instead feel for it while they watch the tip, make sure you take them out fishing often, because they will catch you considerably more big Chinook.

Rockfish; I agree with all you said whole heartedly but do you want to know how you would have caught your 16# despite maybe a manual kicker bracket? GET UP 5 MIN EARLIER!!!!! lolol

Or we could just live on the boat with the lines down 24 -7, LOL . I only get up early for Derbys now and even then it is not 2:30 am to be going out in the dark anymore.

I've found that there have been 2 keys to me consistently catching larger chinook that I used to. First, I fish where there are bigger fish. While Swiftsure bank has been almost 100% reliable for springs, there's a lot of 6-12lb fish on the bank. If you want a 20# fish on Swiftsure, most days you will be sorting through a lot of little ones in order to get the big ones. However, if you fish the kelp beds or some locations farther offshore, you can find places where the fish average 20# plus. So, fish there. Now to find those places requires some knowledge and sometimes networking but year-to-year, the same places produce larger fish and the same places produce smaller fish. While I used Swiftsure as my example, the basic idea that some locations are more likely to hold bigger fish than others applies everywhere.

Second, and this is related to the first, I'm more selective about what I keep. This is a pretty recent thing for me. It used to be be I rarely caught larger springs. I almost always did well and limited the boat but these other guys were always bringing in larger fish. It took me far longer than it should have to realize this but if you want to catch larger fish, don't keep smaller ones. Yes, it can be hard to release a perfectly nice 12# spring in order to find a 20, but if you know the fish are there AND you're willing to put in the time AND you're confident you can catch more you mostly will. Sure there will be the occasional day where that 12# fish you releases was the last fish you caught that day but if you want big fish, don't fill your card with little fish.

Awesome tip on the rod tip ! how true ! Another tip might be don't react to the vhf too much , always a good bite happening where your not ! i found out over the years it is not such a great idea to be running every where else and then when you get there it's over , if your in a proven area SIT AND FISH ! it will turn on ,you don't have to go running around everywhere .

Great advice on here. I would second keeping things simple and not being lazy. Make sure you're line/leaders/knots/swivels are in good shape, hooks sharp and check your lines often.

Bait can be very hard to fish in areas with strong current (Sooke!), especially for people with less confidence. If youve struggled in the past I personally think it's crazy to fully commit and fish bait on both rods. Fish an easier option like a productive hoochie which will just about always be working properly.

Back