Kelowna & Penticton Area

B

Boatless

Hello folks,

I'm taking a trip from Winnipeg to the Kelowna and Penticton area later this week. I'll be there for about a week or so.

I'm wondering if anyone could share some information on some streams or rivers I could have some luck fishing for trout. I've never been to BC, so I'm completely ignorant as to where to fish while I'm out there. I'm a total sport fisherman and I don't keep any fish, I just enjoy the thrill of catch and release. I'll be driving on the West side of the lake from Kelowna South to Penticton. I see on my atlas there are a few creeks I'd pass by on my way down. Chute, Trust and Trout Creeks. Are these any good for brookies, browns or rainbows? If not, can someone suggest somehwere better?

What is the cost of a conservation fishing licence there?

If anyone is in the area around this upcoming Sunday and would like to hook up for a morning or afternoon, please let me know.

Cheers

Ben

Hi, The creeks you are talking are not very good for fishing at all. Most of these are just tiny and I have never seen anyone ever fish them. Most of the fishing in the Okanagan is at nearby lakes but a boat is needed to fish them. There is a really good river about 2 hours from Kelowna called the Thompson River and it has a healthy population of resident rainbows. I think it opens July 1 and should have a good hatch of stone flies right now. If you are interested in fishing here post back and I can give you some places that in the past have been really good. Some of the local lakes are aslo very good but with the hot weather the fish are starting to get sluggish and going deep. There still is really good fishing ion the evenings with caddis flies and some of the local lakes have boat rentals.

Tight lines.
Sorry can't fish this week busy getting ready for Nootka Sound trip next week.

If you get a map of the area west of Peachland and Summerland you will see that there are a couple of lakes up in the mountains, Headwaters comes to mind as one. There are also small creeks and streams in that area that hold some small pan-sized trout. Access is by forestry service road. It's a great area to explore and not too far to drive, pack a lunch and have a great day in the mountains! You may also get a few responses if you ask your question over in the fresh water fishing forum.

Tom

Thanks for the information guys. The lake/s near Peachland & Summerland sound like they'd be doable. Thompson River would be a riot, but I don't know that i'll be able to travel that far or not. I've written that down just in case. What direction is it from Kelowna? I've been told by a friend of mine that lived out there that Mabel Lake can be good for rainbows and char. Any comments? Also the Shuswap River I'm told can be good.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Back