Keeping prawns...

AndrewH

Well I am running out of freezer space in a fast way with all the recent hunting and prawning.

I have been tossing the prawn tails in containers, filling with water and freezing.

Has anyone simply tossed them in a chamber sealer and not worried about freezing in a block of ice? How does it compare?

I container mine in water also but my buddy chamber seals his with no issues . he scissors all the little pokies off the tails though. Way too much work in my opinion but takes up way less freezer room.

I bring home enough ocean water to freeze them in as stated above an use double sandwich bags, and naturally vacuum them by dipping in bowl of water. Bag them by the dozen with enough ocean water to cover. Way faster and cheaper than vacuum sealer bags. Been using this method all season with no issues. Just handle carefully until frozen so spikes dont pop bag.

I've tried so many different ways

*laying them all flat in size and even then vacuum sealing them, looks nice but way to much work.

*in zip lock bag freeze, then vacuum seal zip lock, to many air pockets and spike pops the seal

*double vacuum bagged

1 So now it's Zip lock bag filled half way with prawns and freeze.

2 Then remove frozen bag, grab another zip lock bag and put the frozen one into the new one and pour water to
the top, bend zip lock part to remove air then freeze, water gets into all the air pockets of stacked prawns and
incapsulates it in water from the air, stopping it from getting dried out, easy n fast do all at once and most of all
it saves a lot of room. At $40lb i treat it like BC Gold

WATER i just do fresh water with sea salt it works great, i don't trust the top layer of ocean water, with all the boats and whatever
else is in there, after watching a commercial prawn boat get there salt water with a hose over 100' down where it's pure salt water, the
surface water is a mix of fresh and salt.
IMG_9694.JPG
IMG_9693.JPG

Last edited:
sea salt water only for us out west

as told by a commy, never use city tap water on prawns , or any fish actually ,
out west we have lake water pumped down to our cleaning stations ,
salmon doesnt change in color or texture ,
but processing any fish back at home with city water , would immediately change the color , peachy/pinkish
chemicals i would guess , really notice it on prawns ,

i use 5 gallon pails of sea water when cleaning on the boat , way better product imo
could understand not wanting to use Van Harbor sea-water on anything lol..... i wont go there...;)

my experience ,

fd

Well water, sea salt and two liter plastic milk jugs. Lop the top off the milk jug. I do 18 large per, more if smaller. Once frozen they nest inside each other. Does eat freezer space but hey, don't you want another freezer?

Back