Keeping Fish frozen during transport

Styrofoam coolers on there own are not permitted on flights. They must be inside a waxed cardboard liner. Aqua Pak does make one of the best stryo coolers and a good selection of sizes. I think the most important thing for keeping fish frozen for extended periods is having the fish in the freezer long enough to get them well frozen and at the lowest temp before transporting them. I also agree with what has been said about the Coleman Extreme coolers. I use a cheap Coleman hard shell 50 litre cooler to ship my clients fish home on flights. The other consideration for flying is keeping each cooler under 50 pounds. The cooler I use holds 50 pounds of fillets when jammed full.

I often bring fish with me to Ontario to share with the family when I visit. its a bit more work but basically I vacuum pack the fish frozen by piece and then wrap every vac bag in newspaper or craft paper, and then tape it. I then pack it tight in a flexible cooler. This will last a huge amount of time, I have done trips where it was 24 hours later and the fish was still frozen solid. You cannot bring ice or gelpacks on an aircraft, so its a great work around. Never failed me yet. Sometimes if i have frozen smoked salmon it will thaw a little faster because of the salt but most trips are 16 hours or less and i never have any issues. If you actually put it in something with ice, I would guess it would last days.

Back