Keep Crab Fresh

Stizzla

Crew Member
Let’s say I caught some crab today, and I want to eat them for dinner tomorrow. What to do?

I’ve never had an issue keeping them alive for 1-2 days in the fridge in a bucket with wet newspaper on them. Also never had issues killing them, splitting them in half, removing the carapace, cleaning all gills and offal off in salt water and storing the halves in the fridge til boiling them the next day.

Cheers!

Ukee

The commercial guys haul them in crates with no water from Tofino to Vancouver...pretty rugged creatures! Oh yeah just ate some for lunch :p

Also, a cage tied to the dock is great for keeping them live and ready for dinner

Last edited:
Put a layer of ice in a cooler, then a wet towel (sea water) then another towel over top. They go to sleep from the cold and can look almost dead. They come back as they warm up.
Key is they don't touch the ice directly. That is how I transport.
Or just clean and cook then put in fridge or on ice till next day.
I don't need my crab warm.

Please not the microwave for reheat of crab .Wrap whole crab in newspaper and rinse in salt water bath .Suspend crab from sitting in water in a tote .Don't pile to high as the they may crush under weight.place in cooler with 4l milk jugs of ice.Problem I found with storing halves in fridge, is the fridge dries out the crab and halves on the bottom sit in dead crab water.

I forgot to hit “watch thread” so I didn’t even see the responses till now.Thank you for your tips...I ended up cooking them right away and tossed them in the fridge and ate them cold tonight. It was delicious!

The commercial guys haul them in crates with no water from Tofino to Vancouver...pretty rugged creatures! Oh yeah just ate some for lunch :p

Also, a cage tied to the dock is great for keeping them live and ready for dinner
What is your slot number on the dock, could save me time and money :D

I’ll never tell. Just look for the full crate. It’s like the old days for those turd snappers
Lol... crabbing in Renfrew has been absolutely crazy good, the amount of crab larvae floating along the coast is like nothing i have ever seen before. I think the changing ocean conditions are good for the crab, maybe not so good for our salmon

Back