Kayak Trolling on Kootenay Lake?

Samson

Hi All,

I just made a temporary move from the coast to Nelson, BC from September to July. I brought my Alumaweld Blackhawk and my fishing kayak with me. I was lucky enough to score a lakefront rental about 6 miles from Nelson towards Balfour.

I have committed myself to paddling for an hour every second day, probably first thing in the morning, to keep in shape. Since I'm already out paddling, I figured I may as well spend that hour trolling for Bull Trout or Kokanee or ???. Problem is, I haven't fished on fresh water since I was wee lad with a bobber and worms.

I don't have a downrigger on my kayak. Can anyone suggest a good set-up that might give me a fighting chance while trolling in a kayak or am I just wasting my time?

Can anyone suggest a set-up for fishing in my Alumaweld w/downrigger? Same as fishing for spring or chinook?

Full disclosure: I still have to look up the regs for the west arm of Kootenay lake...

Thanks All!

Rob

For dragging behind the Kayak an Apex 4'-6' behind however much weight should work it does everywhere else-no idea about colour/same as the water I guess.

Ditto for the big boat I know they use a lot of big Polar Bear hair flies but an old Buddy of mine guided there years ago and he did well using small plugs like Rapalas & Rebels.

For dragging behind the Kayak an Apex 4'-6' behind however much weight should work it does everywhere else-no idea about colour/same as the water I guess.

Ditto for the big boat I know they use a lot of big Polar Bear hair flies but an old Buddy of mine guided there years ago and he did well using small plugs like Rapalas & Rebels.

Thanks, Dogbreath. Since I am a complete noob at freshwater, would I put the Apex behind a weight like a banana (maybe someone can chime in with a good weight size) and simply let out 100 foot of line paddling at a moderate speed? Close to shore? Middle of the lake? Does it help to be near streams entering the lake? I guess it feels a little like needle in a haystack when one arrives in a new place. Also, it looks like it's catch and release for Kokanee Monday-Friday. Trout and Bass appear to be good to go (with limits) all week long.

Yes that sounds good I'd work the shoreline like you say I know my buddy used to head out into the lake looking for a currents he claimed were out there I've only fished from shore near Fletcher Falls caught ZIP but did see a bunch of fish while snorkeling there so they are around.

EDIT-They were Storm plugs he used to use but there are so many models/colours it's stupid.

Can pick up or look at a copy of the backroad map book fishing edition. See if the lake your on is in it. Shows contours and gives good tips.

Other suggestions, You can also get yourself a selection of Jet Divers/Deep 6's etc to get down, instead of downrigging. I would grab a portable fishfinder as well. Kokanee can be up shallow early and late in the day. You can see them finning, so you don't need to be deep. I use a small spoon like a coyote as a flasher, or some of those smaller dodgers, then 2-3ft leader to a wedding band, dick nite, small pink hootchie etc. Tip with a brined shrimp or worm and paddle around. Vary your speed.

Also, some guys let out a ton of line and use apex's, lyman etc without weight at certain times of the year.

Go spend a few $ at the local tackle store and ask questions to help narrow things down a bit. Good luck, should be prime time as it cools off a bit.

Stop in at gill and gift in Balfour. They have great tips and Kootenay lake gear.
I had no luck above 100' last weekend on the main lake for rainbows or dollies. Once to water cools this fall, the fish will rise. We have luck with Kootenay flies (bucktailing) and 3" needlefish spoons with a belly wieght 1-2 oz. spring and fall.

I have fished for years out of a 17' Seaward Tyee. Jigging for salmon out off Comox, Parksville; paddled small lakes and trolled/jigged. Great way to fish successfully with little expense. The rudder was helpful but you need nothing else as you can wedge your rod in the cockpit or off the retaining deck bungies. Take a small net and a "club" for the fish. I kept the fish in a mesh laundry back on deck under straps washing a bit of water over them from time to time.

Back