"k" numbers

scott craven

In reference to the last subject, does anbody know the actual
legality of displaying "k"numbers amd being in receipt of registration while on the water?
I have existing numbers on my boat, however have not registered
with dept.of transport (or whatever gov't agency it is now)
My last boat had no numbers and never was a problem.

Would like to know what the penalty is for not having correct
numbers and registration ?
[?]

"K" numbers are like vehicle licence plates that are registered to you with DOT. Along with that registration, like a vehicle's VIN number, goes the serial number of the boat. It is a way to show it is legally yours and a way to get the 7% sales tax off you when you register it.
It's also a quick way to find out who the owner is if it is found bobbing around the water without you in it, then they know who to look for.

yup, it has to be registered in your name and also they need to be displayed 3" tall at least on the port and starboard bow.

You are required to have proof of boat registration in your name or an affidavit of use from the owner if stopped on the high seas by the relevant authority's , if not then $ fines and or the sin bin for you.

Cheers

AL
P.S. Now you have to have a flippin licence to run your VHF , another one time tax grab from our idiot friends in Ottawa , it just never ends , incompetence putting a saddle on stupidity ad finitum !

K numbers or Registered</u> (with DOT) boat name is required, registration papers, or copy thereof, required to be aboard.
Never been checked or heard of anyone being asked for papers.
But then I've never been checked by Coast Guard. This could be one of the things they look for, along with life preservers, etc.

Was checked by the Kings Cowboys last year out of Cowichan Bay , they did a very polite and detailed check of my boat papers and licence and operators card.
Just to let you know things are changing.

AL

Okay, I'm confused again..... I thought the new BCxxxx numbers being issued by Services Canada were the new version of a Kxxxx number and K numbers were no longer being issued by Customs.

This TC web site http://www.tc.gc.ca/pacific/marine/marinesafety/registrarofships.htm seems to imply that K numbers are still being issued by Customs.....

I'm fairly sure that the above web site is just out of date and K numbers are no longer being issued. Any one else 100% sure they know the answer???

Checked once in Cow bay, warning for no #'s
once near active pass ,ticketed for no flashlite(had one but didn't work)
once active pass,no paddle.
once Tswassen , #'s partly rubbed off and no registration.
some of us just never learn[:I]

SIR, you're asking for a bit much to have a 100% sure, guaranteed answer to anything related to boats, fishing or the federal buraucracy.
But here's a 99% answer.
Service Canada took over issuing K numbers and registering ownership of boats from TC, which was able to issue the K numbers from Canada Customs.
The website uses old TC publications, which, aside from the name/department change not being reflected thereon, are still valid.

The BCxxxx numbers you refer to are something I haven't seen.
Perhaps being issued, to show province of registration, in place of the usual K numbers. You may have to phone them when their offices open on Tuesday for the "official" answer.

Any help?

Just registered my boat with Service Canada. Was given YTxxxxxx (I live in the Yukon, apparently BC are BCxxxxxx). The 'story' I got from Service Canada, the new suppliers of the numbers, is that this is the replacement for K numbers for newly registered boats. Not only do you have to be registered, but you must also carry the paperwork with you in the boat at all times. For us this is important as we often cross the border into AK and US Customs often asks for ownership/registration.

I would strongly encourage you to call and ask, as it seems like the 'story' differs depending upon the person you ask. Make sure you write down the name of the person you talk too!

Note to all boaters effective (NOW) DOT, CoastGuard and DFO can and will be pulling boats over and checking registrations, safety gear and including DOT compliance on all commercial boats including guide boats, water taxi's and crew boats. Warnings and fines will be handed out!!! Already happening as DOT is training the RCMP, City Police and DFO as what to ask and look for.

If you have KA numbers and the boat is registered to you no worry the new BC AB etc numbers are for new registrations.

If you have never been checked there is a very good chance you will this year. Safety First that is what they are going to be enforcing.

Remember it is law to carry a copy of your vessel registration on the boat period.

Cheers ME

If you buy a boat, do you need to re-register? I got a 14' lund and it has k numbers on it, ive never signed boat transfer papers though? only on the trailer..

Registration for a boat has a place for the owner to sign off on the back and the new owner must take it in and tranfer it with a bill of sale at no cost. Ya right after you go to register it about two weeks later you get a notice in the mail for PST you owe the gov. for puchasing the boat used or new. If buying a boat with a trailer and motors get the seller to break down the values trailer= boat= motors= gear= might save you some money on taxes.;) This is why many do not transfer boat registrations however beware if the boat is not registered in your name it really doesn't belong to you.[:0]

Enter into the states without proper documentation and watch out your boat may be tied up in red tape for a long time!

I require a letter of authorization and a copy of the vessel registation to operate other owners boats when the owner is not present no matter where! Even more so when entering in or out of Canada even if it is just to Roche or Friday Harbour.

Cheers ME

Hey Kevin, where would I get a copy of all this regestration paper work? I have had the boat for 27 years it was transfered but i have lost the paper work.Thanks DAN

You will be able to sign an declaration oath and get new paper work everything is Federal Goverment Controled now. Services Canada Office is where you have to go.

I might stand corrected but I believe the fine for no registration on a boat is $200.00 but more then likely you would just recieve a warning.

Remember that the main purpose for registration is to give the Coast Guard, Search and Rescue and Police important information to track down the owner of a boat in case of problems or in an emergency.

Cheers ME

I have not registered my boat yet, I thought I read that if your boat was under 15 meters it was at the owner's discrection wether or not they registered it?

just got my bc number last week , bought the boat and it had no numbers on it, downloaded the application from sevice canada online, filled it out, went in and within 40 minutes, had my numbers free of charge.. . thought it might be a good idea, the fine sure would cut into fuel and beer costs..:D:D

Back