Just got off the phone with Chuck Ascroft SFAB regarding Halibut

Islandgirl

He lives in the CV Valley so I gave him a call.

The SFAB did put in their recommendation yesterday for the 1/2 with the second fish being under 15 lbs

I stated that I did not agree with the SFAB making decisions for REC. fisherman without consulting the group. The answer was that 'we did not have time' to consult the Rec group.

He did say that if DFO was left to make the decision themselves they could have implemented any of the following:
1/2 and close the season early or
1/1 and size limits.
or they could have done nothing.

The SFAB felt 1/2 and slot size is better for us.

Jerry Christianson is the chair of the SFAB board contact him with your comments.

SFAB proposed this BS with no input from us, the REC fisherman or from the smaller boards SFAC

So what have I done?

I have called Keith Ashfield's office and said that as a REC fisherman, I have NOT been consulted by the SFAB in their proposal they have put forward.
I do not agree with it.
I want the season to continue as the Minister opened on March 01 with no changes to the 1/2

Last edited by a moderator:
Holmes, that's a awesome idea! I was thinking the same thing with wild cohos and elk, you in? In fact how about
everything that we don't agree with we just burn to the ground!!! Starting with halibut regs ending with teacher's
saleries!!! Don't forget to bring your pitch fork!!

:D:D Cvil disobedience will prove nothing except that you are capable of breaking the law.
Charlie said it before anybody, there is only one way to challenge the system and that is through the courts.
An arduous,expensive task the average person is not capable of.

He lives in the CV Valley so I gave him a call.

The SFAB did put in their recommendation yesterday for the 1/2 with the second fish being under 15 lbs

I stated that I did not agree with the SFAB making decisions for REC. fisherman without consulting the group. The answer was that 'we did not have time' to consult the Rec group.

He did say that if DFO was left to make the decision themselves they could have implemented any of the following:
1/2 and close the season early or
1/1 and size limits.
or they could have done nothing.

The SFAB felt 1/2 and slot size is better for us.

Jerry Christianson is the chair of the SFAB board contact him with your comments.

SFAB proposed this BS with no input from us, the REC fisherman or from the smaller boards SFAC

So what have I done?

I have called Keith Ashfield's office and said that as a REC fisherman, I have NOT been consulted by the SFAB in their proposal they have put forward.
I do not agree with it.
I want the season to continue as the Minister opened on March 01 with no changes to the 1/2

First. Did not have time? Please someone in the know explain this. What is the big rush to make a decision if we are truly "all in the same boat"?

Second. Why does DFO have to make any special decision regarding this in the first place. In the past they just issue their decisions and shut the fishery down whenever the catch limits are reached (last year for example it was Sept. 5) So what's different this year that DFO has to all of a sudden develop 3 options (including 2 that are esentially to do nothing, so there are really only 2 options) and hurriedly consult with only a portion of the sportfising community to make an quick, under-represented decision, instead of a well thought out, well discussed set of options discussed by ALL the sportfishing community. What was the real reason a quick decision was needed....?

I hate to say it, but IMO the guides and lodge owners panicked and took bait that DFO laid out to begin the fragmentation of the sportfishing community. I can understand why this happened, I'm just saddend that is has come down to this. I truly hope in the future that the sportfishing community can be more united in fighting our common problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holmes, that's a awesome idea! I was thinking the same thing with wild cohos and elk, you in? In fact how about
everything that we don't agree with we just burn to the ground!!! Starting with halibut regs ending with teacher's
saleries!!! Don't forget to bring your pitch fork!!

X2 Trying to spread the idea of "don't follow the rules if you don't like them" is an awful idea.

This idea of 1/2 with only one over 15 pounds is essentially 1/1. Who is going to go out to the bank on that second day to try for a 15 pounder? Isn't that a rare catch for a hali? Even chickens average bigger than that don't they?

It doesn't make sense for anyone even charter guys if I paid $800/day for a charter and got a 50lb hali on day one I would not be paying another $800 to try for a small one the next day. Even for a rec guy it isn't worth your time/effort to try for a small hali if you already have a bigger one. Ohh what fun got a 50 pounder now I have to shake it off... no thanks.

"Even for a rec guy it isn't worth your time/effort to try for a small hali if you already have a bigger one. Ohh what fun got a 50 pounder now I have to shake it off... no thanks. "

The rec. day tripper won't be affected, as they can only have one fish anyway.
every new fishing trip is a one fish experience.

The real idiotic thing about the slot limit, Jockey, is that your day 1 50lb already ensures your 2-fish limit is over the 20 lb avg used for calculating the TAC, so what the hell different does it make if the second fish is 15 pounds or 25 pounds??!!!

I made my phone calls today, and from what I heard at the other end of the conversation is....

The sports fishing(guide) advisory board SFAB sold us DOWN THE ROAD!

I phoned the fisheries minister and told his office that I and most REC anglers were not consulted and neither were the SFAC ever consulted.

I personally don't agree with the proposal the SFAB put forward.

This seems like a deal done in the back room.

That is all I can do.

My displeasure is NOT at DFO, it is the SFAB

I bet the majority of anglers will quickly realize how laughable this rule is and keep whatever they get as their second in possession, The guide can easily play ignorant as he does not have to remember what size his client caught the day before. And if a EO shows up at the dock when a charter comes back, what is he going to do? Ask politely what size he caught potentially the day before? Even if someone tips him off on a person having caught a big one the day before, do you think the EO will go back to the guy's camp or cottage, dig through the freezer or cooler to start measuring fillet pieces? LMFAO!!!!:p

The hurry was because lodges/guides needed certainty for summer bookings. That is understandable. The result not.

All I can say to anyone reading this thread that does not agree with size limits

CALL Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield and give your comments to his staff.

This was proposed by the SFAB!

DO IT this WEEK!

http://keithashfieldmp.ca/contact/

1-506-452-4110

I made my phone calls today, and from what I heard at the other end of the conversation is....

The sports fishing(guide) advisory board SFAB sold us DOWN THE ROAD!

I phoned the fisheries minister and told his office that I and most REC anglers were not consulted and neither were the SFAC ever consulted.

I personally don't agree with the proposal the SFAB put forward.

This seems like a deal done in the back room.

That is all I can do.

My displeasure is NOT at DFO, it is the SFAB

Agreed 100% see you at the next meeting coming soon.

Are members of the SFAB out of their minds. In all my year I have boated only one. It's interesting that 100% of Hali's over 100 lbs. are females. If you want to conserve a species under threat, protect females.

I can see the days when the cleaning table will become very quiet. Boats will be stopped short of the docks and fish carcasses tossed overboard. Coolers and totes quietly loaded to awaiting vehicles. Creel surveys politely turned down. What are officials going to do then?

Are members of the SFAB out of their minds. In all my year I have boated only one. It's interesting that 100% of Hali's over 100 lbs. are females. If you want to conserve a species under threat, protect females.

Theb55--- this NOT about conservation--- its all about who gets what......

The real idiotic thing about the slot limit, Jockey, is that your day 1 50lb already ensures your 2-fish limit is over the 20 lb avg used for calculating the TAC, so what the hell different does it make if the second fish is 15 pounds or 25 pounds??!!!

They are assuming the average of the other halibut caught will not be affected by the 15lb slot limit, hence the average size will still be 21lbs.

We were told by DFO at our local SFAC meeting that the coast wide average sized halibut is 16 lbs.

We get the 15 lbr and smaller while commies get 15 to 450 or what ever? Nice trade off. Back to 1 & 1. I can see a few guide boats up for sale. Hard to convince someone to lay bucks on the table for more than one day.

Back