Just about had enough of Courtney O

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are quite right...the Fly Only thoughts were just that...my concerns have always been the protection of the environment and One way it to protect the Spawning areas such as the Upper Stamp as they have done...closeing the upper river past the ASH. I wonder why the section above the Bucket to the Falls is of concern...do you think it has anything to do with holding fish being slammed over and over? complaints for shore fishers , and just common sense...actually all the above...on many rivers it is illegal to fish from the Boats..level somewhat the playing fields! Have you ever considered that the Stamp is so busy because the ministry has screwed up so badly on our behalf that they stabilized the numbers of fish to keep us quiet. At least this way they know where all the action is??!!!
Thats another topic!

I'm going fishing

Court if its just a thought keep it that dont publish crap in IA mag!!It makes you look like a snob!!Good luck fishing today!

Kind of within the topic theme I guess but kind of reminds me when I lived on the Mainland and started to take up flyfishing. Thought I would like to join a fly fishing club but attended about 4 meetings,weekly, and soon got turned off with the snobbery. Im telling you being the new kid on the block, these guys could hardly and couldnt carry on a converstion with me. I figured it was in fact the elitist attitude that for sure exists with some but not all fly fishers. I couldnt believe some of those people,a popular organization,I wont identify that club but I chose to learn on my own and met stream size fishers who would talk to me. Too add, Im not labelling all fly fishing clubs as a elitist snobbery environment,just my past experience with one of them.

quote:Originally posted by chili pepper

What's next?

Why not Blame the Hardy Boys for develping the Silex or the Longstone?

Courtney, did you ever think of private Logging being a slight contributer in low returns? Don't see much beeking about that in your writeups. It's nothing to do with Sleds
Well Chili Pepper,that colour suits you...if you took the time to read many of my past rants you would see much about the poor logging practices...everywhere on the Island that I know of.And if you don't think "Sleds" chomp up good numbers of fry you are indeed very blind.

profile.jpg

Welcome to Ogilvie Outfitting!

"In this time of impersonal relationships and greed it is refreshing to find characters of genuine care and values. Ogilvie Outfitting as committed to providing only the most memorable experiences and Top Quality products in the world of Fly Fishing; Bar None! - Courtney Ogilvie"

further in...

"Come join us for that Extraordinary trip, be it from a Jet Boat trip up Ocean Access Only Rivers to Walk and Wade Adventures along our local streams that are home to beautiful Wild Steelhead in the 10lb.range or that ever elusive Coastal Cutthroat Trout."

http://www.ogilvieoutfitting.com/?page_id=4
---------------------------------

Hmmm, well, Courtney - Please, stop fighting over access under the guise of conservation, or DOT issues...or concerns over the use of bait or how gear anglers degrade your angling experiences in such a politically glorified manner as it truely becomes your personal plight in that the focus will now be on you rather than the topic of your concern...

If your concerns are genuine please voice them with the parties involved or directly to the individuals that you have at issue, in the way that they are in violation of some form of legality.

My concerns lay with your continuous articles in IA about access to small, fragile Vancouver Island streams, more so than protecting hatchery fed flows that can handle large scale impacts and angling traffic - be it by boat or foot traffic / whatever it be...

Impact is impact no matter how marginal you state your footprint is - your concerns of the upper redds on the Stamp and Ash systems are also the concerns by many stake holders, and perhaps a solution to your concerns would be to lobby for closeure of the Stamp from Great Central lake outlet down to the boundry of the Girl Guide falls just at the Bucket. There by limiting everyone to angling in two to three easily accessed points on the lower reaches, allowing for the use of gear, fly, boats, sleds, flossing[snagging] bait[natural or otherwise]. Then, thereby handling your concerns fully and completely in the upper reaches and protecting the redds from future exploitation.

In my opinion - I am for opening the entire SSS to everyone, increasing access points, building new launch areas and developing more pull outs...open to one and all. More access, less fighting...creating opportunity for every angling genre.

RVP

HAHAHAHAAHAH....Now that is priceless, Courney selling jet boat trips on small West Coast Streams. WOW, I never saw that one coming! Excellent digging RVP, guess the proofs in the puddin hey Court?:D $450 a day to stand in water up to my neck at swansons and watch Murph and the boys slam them right infront of us? No thanks, I'll stick with Dave even though your marvoulous breads and spicey jellies sound great!!:)

The Homathco is not what I would consider a small West Coast River. There are times when access to the lower rivers can be done with little impact, High Water and centre flows...
There has been some interesting dialogue here ,now if perhaps you all can put your energies into working towards conservation and taking care of our watersheds there would be less issues. RVP you know as well as I do that I am very involved with supporting good fisheries policies for all. As the rep for the BCFFF in our area I have openly supported all the endeavours to protect the rights of ALL fishermen ,access, fund raising ,lobbying goverment,and you name it. Make personal donations to Ducks and Trout Unlimited,PSF,Fish and Game Clubs,.....
Find something better to do with your time...

Courtney - You put it out there[published in IA more than once]...by speaking publicly on issues in the manner or in the way that you have, whether here in this forum or others, or in magazines or other media, you can only expect there to be questions or concerns on or about your intentions[or anyones for that matter]...by publicly hacking groups or individuals, really does nothing to help any cause related to helping the fish on the upper Stamp.

Courtney there is no need to justify your public rants by stating what you do for certian groups[that is knoble and requires no recognition]I personally do not know what you do with your time or what you do to help enhance our environment / so please do not surmise that I do. There is a difference between saying and doing...if you do - then that is great!

What better way to spend my time than to create dialog as an exchange of ideas or opinions on a particular issue, esp. a political or religious issue, with a view to reaching an amicable agreement or settlement. Aslo to discuss areas of disagreement frankly in order to resolve them. It has been like the conversation between characters in a novel, drama, etc.

If you don't want anyone to question what you say - simply put, "Don't put it out there..."

RVP

For people like myself who are lazy fat pieces of crap, there is nothing better than a sled, I barely have to walk and my beer stays cold in the cooler. On top of that I dont have to really work for the fish...just..plunk..drift...wham....woohoo...bonk...fishin at it's finest baby.

quote:Originally posted by Mouthhouse

For people like myself who are lazy fat pieces of crap, there is nothing better than a sled, I barely have to walk and my beer stays cold in the cooler. On top of that I dont have to really work for the fish...just..plunk..drift...wham....woohoo...bonk...fishin at it's finest baby.

SA-WEET! A fellow angler after my own heart! Aughhhh...N-O-T!

...the best part about being a fat S.O.B., like myself, is having the opportunity to hike and hit areas outside the relm of most boats and angling crowds of people trying to hit the flow just at the most oppertuned and perfect of times [but not quite hittin' it! Timing slightly off]. My time is in the highest of flows, in areas less traveled - If I was to show you my secret areas, then jokingly, or not, I would have to feed you to the crabs in Barkley Sound!

I like sleds, and drift boats and pontoons, kayaks, canoes[what ever floats me] but I feel characters as you have described do not really and truly exist in todays age and are fiction of your imagination - buds, bigger and fatter than me, for instance are even more active than even most buck or two light weights that I have seen on the flow! I know Fatboys, including myself that would slay any skinny butt bee-ach poser, mouth pieces, today, tomorrow or the next day, or the day after that - but what does fat or any size have to do with conservation, integrity, well meaning devotion, or other conservational topics related to that said?

Courtneys concerns as published were supposidly conservation minded - my concerns, as other anglers were, none the such, but to flush the bird from it's roost. As stated amoungst much garbley goop, banter and hacking - none was related...a good friend says that there was never any talk about thus said, or reservations put forward, thoughts developed or chat of resolve.

I for one state for the record, on this public forum that I will from this day forward kill fish on the upper Stamp river with my six wieght on low flow days, or with my eight on top flow. I promise to keep my intention to the fullest...I will also accomplish this with a 9.9hp pushing platform that is FFF sanctioned! Sorry, I am not trying to demean a really good oganization of whom does care about furture opportunities Canada wide - only forcing thought before figure, as I just felt that I should drop at least one good cause before I shut up!

Please Note That I also support many a good cause in BC - FFF being one. I am a whole angler...one and all or not at all! No In-betweens! Not one single in-between...we are all here to have a chance or oppertunity to angle and catch a fish - steal mine or any other anglers opportunity and I promise you, that you will be toast! I do promise you...I will even offer you the Squirl Peanut Butter for you to chew!

Do you really know me??? Do you really know him??? The truth talks!!

...sorry, I am just being very fesetious and torrent on this topic now...Yep, a Jerk!

RVP - your post made my brain hurt - but great point.

Either close it or open it, gear restrictions do jack. I am a fly fisher and have been for many many years but the holy-er then though attitude some fly guys gets is gross.

I think it comes with the crocodile dundee hat those guys all ran out and bought after watching a river runs through it - dorks.

rvp you seem very pasionate about our great sport, but to make a point at the expence of your values dosent make any sense to me;
I for one state for the record, on this public forum that I will from this day forward kill fish on the upper Stamp river with my six wieght on low flow days, or with my eight on top flow. I promise to keep my intention to the fullest...I will also accomplish this with a 9.9hp pushing platform that is FFF sanctioned;

i also do belive that turnin upper sections of systems into fly only is not that bad of a thing,far less presure on that system,far less what i call Kmart fishermen on that system,now dont get me wrong i am not a die hard fly only fisherman, but i do like to get away from the shoulder to shoulder massacure that is our waters today. There are a few systems that are fly only and they dont have the problems the 'big' systems have, why is that? its my opionin that you dont have the so called kmart fishermen lineing the shores tryin to cast a fly road with a case of bud by their side and one in hand.
so in the end fishing is what you make it, i choose to use it to relax, get some excercise hikin a river or kickin around a lake in the tube, and whether i have a fly rod in hand or a spinning set up i love the moment,
ensure the future C&R

quote:Originally posted by fishman69er

rvp you seem very pasionate about our great sport, but to make a point at the expence of your values dosent make any sense to me;

No worries - but you did miss my final few words on the whole blab that I did...and goes something like this "...sorry, I am just being very fesetious and torrent on this topic now...Yep, a Jerk!"

I am not at all against any kind of fishing - I love it all, it is all good, and I would hate to see anyone loose an opportunity to angle. There are lot's of great places on the SSS to fly angle and get away from the crowds of people who do not normally know other access areas, to be all by you lone some - that's what I do...but occationally you will find me amoungst the crowds or in a sled or my pontoon...

Like I stated in my last post, it was all in light and more on the joking side than on the serious follow through. I like to eat fish, but I would never kill a kelt...chrome for home! One and all or not at all...it is a simple statement.

RVP you know as well as I do that I am very involved with supporting good fisheries policies for all. As the rep for the BCFFF in our area I have openly supported all the endeavours to protect the rights of ALL fishermen ,access, fund raising ,lobbying goverment,and you name it.

If the above is the case, why are you going against this in your article?
This is an enhanced river and there is no conservation concern </u> that I am aware of for Steelhead.
There are far to many rivers that have conservation concerns that are not being addressed.
Why is it always a flyfishng vs all others?
I cannot recall a river that the gear guys stated that they wanted all fly fishers removed?
Every time it appears the Fly group puts forward a proposal to close rivers to all but them.
Last time I checked the rivers were open to all fly fishermen however as noted this appears to not be good enough.
No wonder there is a backlash.

...thank you Mr. Scott - exactly my interpretation and ultimately why I raised my concerns...I talked with Courtney about a week prior to the IA issue being released and we did slightly touch on this vary topic - but in no uncertain terms did he mention that he had submitted such a politically biased public article in such a popular Vancouver Island newsletter. I for one am apoled that he or anyone would ever write such a biased scribe in favor of limiting a fellow anglers opportunity to angle - I am more so disappointed for the simple fact when questioned[drilled by all] why there was so much back peddling and non-justified statements directed towards other angling genre. My position is still and always will be, one and all or not at all...it's a very simple but effective statement.

RVP

not that i mean to rag on ya RVP, as you have made some very good points regarding this topic, there is one thing that gets to me it the statment "one and all or not at all", so you dont belive that the certian systems, or even lakes out there that are fly only tend to be, for lack of a better word, a better fishery, again just for the simple fact that you dont have any joe out there rippin it up, because lets be honest its alot easier to cast a spinning rod than to send a fly 60 feet,i guess any'Joe' can troll a fly around, just my thoughts
ensure the future C&R

quote:Originally posted by fishman69er

not that i mean to rag on ya RVP, as you have made some very good points regarding this topic, there is one thing that gets to me it the statment "one and all or not at all", so you dont belive that the certian systems, or even lakes out there that are fly only tend to be, for lack of a better word, a better fishery, again just for the simple fact that you dont have any joe out there rippin it up, because lets be honest its alot easier to cast a spinning rod than to send a fly 60 feet,i guess any'Joe' can troll a fly around, just my thoughts
ensure the future C&R

...nothing wrong at all with C&R opportunities and there is nothing wrong with the way many systems have been set up for certain types fisheries that have been allocated as such in the past[there is also no need to change what was set up- ie change the upper Cowichan to gear or fly. Leave it as is]...but the future is not in my view to create more areas limiting access to the public unless conservation is a concern and if conservation is the issue and the powers that be want to limit access - then in all fairness it must affect everyone and not be benificial to certain groups over others or as some folks have stated "to level the playing field" - angling is not a contest amoungst anglers there for there is no need to use such terms, each is equal and should have the same opportunity to angle in a given area that is now open to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back