Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

So I thought its time to list the prizes that we will be awarding by way of our fish draws. These prizes are awarded by draw to those who simply register a fish. (minimum 5 pounds) For each fish a person enters they get a fish draw ticket to drop in the draw bucket. A two day total of 6 draw tickets per entrant is possible. (2 salmon per day and 1 halibut per day entered) These prizes represent 50% of the prize board value or about $50,000.00 The other 50% is given to the top fish of the tournament and they have already been listed.

1. 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke high thrust - courtesy - SG Power Products & Yamaha value $3450.00
2. 12X14 Camo Camp Tent - courtesy - Polar Bear Equipment - value $1850.00
3. Vancouver Canuck Game Package for two - courtesy Harbour Air & SVIAC (includes harbour to harbour flights, club seat game tickets for game of your choice & 1 night hotel stay) value $1500.00
4. 2.5 H.P. Suzuki 4 stroke outbord - courtesy - Vector Yacht Services Ltd value $1000.00
5.Cannon Magnum 10 STX Downrigger - courtesy Cannon - value $800.00
6. Cannon Margun 10 STX Downrigger - courtesy Cannon - value $800.00
7.Coast DR-1 Mooching Reel - courtesy - Coast Reels value $600.00
8. $500.00 gas card - courtesy Peninsula Co-Op value $500.00
9. two separate 5 hour halibut fishing charters - courtesy Foghorn Fishing Charters - value $600.00 each
10.Asus 32 GB Tablet - courtesy - Gizmos Computers - value $500.00
11. 5 hour halibut fishing charter - courtesy Tailspin Charters - value $550.00
12, Custom aluminum fish box - courtesy Crest Sheet Metal - value $350.00
13. 20 X $100.00 Computer Service vouchers - courtesy Gizmos Computers - value $2,000.00 ($100.00 each)
14. 6 X 2.5 pound marine abc fire extinguishers - courtesy - Fire Safe value $42.50 each
15. Pro-Troll fishingntackle package - courtesy - Pro-Troll value $300.00
16. Mr Buddy Heater - courtesy - Cheanuh Marina value $140.00
17. Round trip ferry passage for vehicle/driver and one passanger - courtesy - BC Ferries value $180.00
18. Premium Car Weekend Rental - courtesy - Budget Rent A Car Victoria
19. Easy Motor Toter - courtesy Mercury Sales & service - value $350.00
20. Grunden Rain Gear - courtesy pacific Net & Twine - value $400.00
21. All weather gear (top & Bottom) - courtesy of Stormtech - value $1000.00
22. Hummingbitrd Helix 7 Sounder - courtesy of Hummingbird - value $600
23. 18 holes of Golf for two and 4 buckets of balls - courtesy Pacific Highland Golf - value $180.00

These are just a few of the draw prizes, way to many to list them all here. There are still a few tickets to this tournament left, don't miss out get yours soon.

I caught Darren in the store this morning and we confirmed the 3rd place electronics package. It will be a Lowrance HDS-9 chart plotter/sounder combo unit with 3G Radar..value is $4,250.00!!!! A great 3rd prize for this years tournament. A big thank you as always to Island Outfitters & Lowrance for their continued generous support of this event.

This is a last call out to those who have yet to buy tickets for this years event. To date we have only sold 250 tickets...that is 50% of the tickets available. At this low number we would be in a break even situation at best and it there would be no contribution to the 2018 Sooke Chinook Sea Pen. Tickets remain available at the retail vendors until closing on Friday. Our last pub night is this Thursday from 5-9pm at Hecklers bar & Grille located at 123 Gorge Rd E. (the old Sherwood Pub) . Tickets will be sold there as well. We have put a lot of work into this years event and have acquired huge sponsor support by way of some very nice prizes....some of the best in any fishing tournament. The sponsors have done there part...we hope those of you who have yet to buy in will do yours. We are in the 2018 IFMP for 500,000 Chinook in the Sooke pens and we are heading for 2 million by 2020. If you want to see a Nootka caliber fishery here in Juan De Fuca it will only happen if this project moves forward. If you like fishing in Port Renfrew...these extra fish will have to swim by there to get to the Sooke River so we are asking for your support as well!!!

I will recap in a few days after a few naps to catch up on ssome sleep.. But the winner was Shawn Davies with a 30.3 pound Chinook caught at the end of the day on Saturday. In fact it was the last fish on the scale that day. He was fishing with Christopher Miller who is a director of SVIAC!!

Thank you Profisher and all of the volunteers and sponsors of the derby. We fished in it for the first time this year and despite the poor weather and slower fishing (for us at least) it was a great time. There were tons of prizes and we met a lot of good people. Looking forward to seeing the next round of fish for the net pen project, see you next year!

Thanks for the kind words and glad you had a good time. We had a 4 boat contingent of US boats travel up this year. Members of the Bellingham Chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers. We would like to see even more boats make the trip north so we can put on some form of a CAN/US challenge. I think the Sidney derby gets around 35 teams from the US up here in May.

Thanks to all the Volunteers and Sponsors that donate prizes to put this derby together. It's a huge job, and is just getting better. Had a great time fishing with great friends and my buddy was stoked to win the rod and reel for the hidden time prize. To me everything seemed to go well and things were speeded up as far as weigh-in, beer s and draw prize sales. Meal was great again. Can't wait till next year.

Our derby website is back online now. It seems we have paid for just enough bandwidth to cover the site without making to many additions. Each year our website guy adds photos from the weekend event and that puts us over our allowed limit and we go down. Obviously the best solution is to pay for enough room on the server that this is avoided next year. Any way the top winners from 2017 are posted ( we do have to correct 8th place) the prize is actually 2 Scotty High Speed Downriggers...presently it says the 1420 Com Nav Autopilot which was 5th place.
A big thank you to all who supported s by buying tickets, to all the great and generous sponsors, the ticket vendors and to all the volunteer helpers. We will be having a volunteers thank you barbecue and bevy evening soon. We have yet to go over all the expenses and profits and determine where we ended up financially. When we have that figured out we will post it.

The SVIAC board met last night and we went over the financial numbers for this years derby. We wanted to wait until we had all final bills and amounts in hand before announcing the final amount of proceeds from this yeas event. It looks like we ended up with just shy of $19,000.00 in the bank after the dust settled. Those funds will be used to help cover costs for next years Sooke Net Pen Project and the 500,000 Chinook we will be releasing in the spring of 2018. A big thank you to everyone who participated this year. By just buying a ticket to this event you are helping to better the fishing in your backyard in the near future.

My only request would be a reduced under 16 ticket. With multiple kids the Derby gets expensive for parents.

Gunner

It's a 20k win tournament.
Can't have a reduced price ticket eligible.

There are lots of less expensive Derbies through the year.
I take my kids in coho Derby. It's cheaper and 1 short day.

Tips!

Funny a couple days ago I was thinking of ways to make your idea work with the goal of getting more kids in the derby and without it effecting normal ticket sales.....which we need more of BTW. My idea was a $75.00 under 16 ticket but it would be for a separate top 10 junior prizes. So they would have their own junior lineup of prizes and only be eligible for those if they had the $75 tickets. Can't go much cheaper as hats/t-shirts and the banquet meal cost us over $40.00 for each person. (just the food doesn't include renting the facility and other costs) Thoughts Tips and others. It obviously would depend on getting 10 additional sponsored prizes.

We are looking for additional help for the 2018 event. We are looking for 2 people who would look after two specific components of the tournament on the weekend of the event. We are looking for someone who would take on the job of managing the weigh scale at Pedder Bay and another person who would manage the awards banquet. Both the weigh scale and banquet positions would involve attending 2-3 organizational meetings and implementing procedures already in place. Anyone interested can contact me here.

Back