John Duncan Statement on Halibut Allocation - Sept.7, 2011

Sushihunter

http://johnduncanmp.com/news.aspx?pID=1190

Statement by John Duncan MP on
Halibut Allocation

COURTENAY, September 7, 2011 – The September 5, 2011 closure of the recreational halibut fishery by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is causing concern among anglers and businesses that cater to recreational fishers.

The current total allowable catch on the BC coast is about half of what it was four years ago. This obviously puts pressure on all users of the resource as they try to maintain their livelihoods and recreational pursuits. In response to this, it is understandable that people are focusing on who gets access to the fish.

Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. The key concern that we must focus on is the sustainability of the resource.

Honourable Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, has asked Parliamentary Secretary Randy Kamp to work with all sectors of the halibut fishery to develop long-term options for the allocation of Pacific halibut that would meet the following objectives:

• ■Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch,
    ■Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users and
    ■Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.
The Honourable John Duncan, Member of Parliament for Vancouver Island North and Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development is committed to supporting and working with Mr. Kamp to find solutions that could be put in place for the 2012 fishing season and beyond. “A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind,” said John Duncan. “Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors.”

Parliamentary Secretary Kamp has begun a phased process that includes: meeting with policy makers and stakeholders in neighbouring jurisdictions in an effort to fully understand what resource sharing arrangements exist or are proposed in those areas; evaluating the 2011 experimental transfer program; and, in collaboration with Minister Duncan's office and DFO officials, hosting small round table meetings with interested stakeholders in coastal communities to receive input, especially new ideas and perspectives.

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Len Landry
Constituency Representative
250-338-9381
800-667-8404

THAT MUTHER%)($!@%(@#*%(_@#%

If i here sustainablity or conservation out of his mouth one more time i am going to lose it!

Somebody needs to grab this idiot by the throat and slap some f_cking sense into him so that he can finally understand that the god damned sustaniability and conservation have been, and always will be taken care of by the IPHC, (yes honorable mr. DOUGHNUT that means International Pacific Halibut Commision), they ensure that the TAC set is within the needs of sustainability and conservation, based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles.

The f_cking stupidity of some of the people that run this great country, absolutely astounds me. This guy missed the first lesson in public relations, if you don't KNOW what you are talking about, keep your damned mouth shut!!!!! or you WILL end up being the fool. John Duncan, you truely are a fool!

After all the public out cry he still shows he does not get it.
Will be phoning and sending him a letter with my thoughts.

Not one pound of Halibut should be sold outside the country until all Canadian needs are meet.

GLG

LOL, you all need to take a breath, sit back and re-read the message like three or four times over again. It is a pretty general message that really does not state a single thing toward any of the three sectors, other than to offer support in finding a resolution of this contentious issue with an end date of 2012. Witch hunting was over hundreds of years ago, stick to the facts and loose your emotions. You'll be better for it, and in the end everyone will have greater opportunity. The man did not state that he supports QUOTA, just that he wants to help support resolution by making a safe statement.

DHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
When something that actually benefits us sporties, stewards of the fish, then the griping will stop, but until then expect it to continue, and likely get far more vocal. I've never seen a commercial, nor native fishery gently releasing a fish.... Have you?
True preservation is never going to happen the way DFO is mismanaging Salmon Stocks, Fish Pens, and the Halibut. So long as our fish is going to Jimmy's stores, and out of country, we'll never escape this. If the fish are so dire as DFO would have us believe then commercial has no business in our waters, nor do fish pens now proven to contain disease. If DFO were smart they'd do a buy back on all commie licenses forced if necessary, and simply shut down the commercial sector for at least the next 10 years to allow the fish to bounce back. I suspect it has nothing to do with fish stocks, and more in profitability.

LOL, you all need to take a breath, sit back and re-read the message like three or four times over again. It is a pretty general message that really does not state a single thing toward any of the three sectors, other than to offer support in finding a resolution of this contentious issue with an end date of 2012. Witch hunting was over hundreds of years ago, stick to the facts and loose your emotions. You'll be better for it, and in the end everyone will have greater opportunity. The man did not state that he supports QUOTA, just that he wants to help support resolution by making a safe statement.

DHA.

DHA,

Thanks for your reply. My probelm is that he either 1. does not understand what the facking problem is(allocation, not consrervation) or 2. Purposely sends out a public message that states Conservation as a concern to get the General public to buy into this being a conservation issue. That is my issue. none of the other things you mentioned.

Somebody needs to grab this idiot by the throat and slap some f_cking sense into him so that he can finally understand that the god damned sustaniability and conservation have been, and always will be taken care of by the IPHC, (yes honorable mr. DOUGHNUT that means International Pacific Halibut Commision), they ensure that the TAC set is within the needs of sustainability and conservation, based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles.

The f_cking stupidity of some of the people that run this great country, absolutely astounds me. This guy missed the first lesson in public relations, if you don't KNOW what you are talking about, keep your damned mouth shut!!!!! or you WILL end up being the fool. John Duncan, you truely are a fool!

Bang on...
The IPHC takes care of the concervation issue and it's up to DFO to handle the allocation issue....
DFO is the issue here!

Mr. Duncan is still using a smokesceen, namely conservation, rather than serve his constituency by taking a stance in favour of equity of allocation/opportunity. He is a sickening excuse of a politician, and a living testament that the phrase "waste of oxygen" is all too accurate.

Dinkum said in the all canidates meeting prior to the elections that he was " committed to finding a solution to the halibut issue."
Lets hold this Piece of sh*t to his words.

I personally dont know one person that voted for him...so I wonder who did?

Helluva good summation all around!!!

Whole exercise is another stab at the usual smoke screen....goes something like this 10 step DFO process....ripped it out of the procedures manual:

1. Invite poor stupid unsuspecting sporties to fancy a$$ meeting
2. Make big deal out of the process - hype it up
3. Over-sell benefits of consultation and who is sitting around the table
4. After gathering feedback from stupid well meaning sporties, sit in back room and draft document with recommendations you planned to do before process was initiated
5. Roll out grand communication plan, extolling virtues of afore-stated consultation process
6. Position solutions as a win/win arrived at through extensive consultation and stakeholder agreement
7. Do what you planned on doing anyway - they aren't savvy enough to figure it out
8. Sporties wake up following after math of what just happened and realize too late the reality of what just happened
9. After much crying and the usual protests that will fall upon deft ears, sporties learn the meaning of......
10. BOHICA........

Bend
Over
Here
It
Comes
Again
:mad:

in collaboration with Minister Duncan's office and DFO officials, hosting small round table meetings with interested stakeholders in coastal communities to receive input, especially new ideas and perspectives.
Anyone know an interested stakeholder who's been invited to one of these round table meetings?

So far the meetings scheduled are in Port Hardy, Campbell River, and Courtenay.

I was told that there is nothing planned so far for other Island , or mainland ridings... Just in John Duncans North Island riding. I am attending the Courtenay meeting and will report back. Searun-- I can assure you that I am well aware of the dangers of getting pulled into the "consultation" black hole..... Shields up!!!
Why did I get an invite ? Dont really know other than the fact that I have been in John Duncan's face on this issue since 2002.

The format of the meeting is a round table with 4-5 sport fishermen, 4 or 5 commercial halibut fishermen from the community, and the same for First Nations. It will be moderated by MP Randy Kamp. BUTTTTT none of us is supposed to come representing an organization ... like the PHMA, Island Halibut Coalition, BCWF etc. guides associations. We are supposed to just put forward our own ideas on how to get out of this mess..

I can assure you that one of the first things out of my mouth will be to let Mr Kamp know that the continued use of "Conservation" is angering sport fishers.

Good on you guys for going to those useless meetings...just be watchful of the BOHICA effect.

Pat-- I gave a copy of the BOHICA at the end of the meeting to John Duncan's Director of Policy (Kym Purchase) She promised me she would pass it around, but that the process was not already fixed-- Only time will tell. I dont buy Arizona desert land or believe in the Tooth Fairy....................

BTW, did you notice that The Island Fishermen is still running the halibut quota for sale ads? Guess Larry S. still does not get the picture..

So from what i gather the lodge and charter sector expect the commcial guys to take the full brunt of conservation while they carry on business as usual? Like that's going to happen....

Time to get the commercial sports out of the stoneage.

Back