John duncan press release

fishingbc

Statement by John Duncan MP on Halibut Allocation

[FONT=&quot]For immediate release[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]COURTENAY, JANUARY 20, 2011[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – In recent weeks there has been considerable discussion on the issue of halibut allocation. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify my position on this issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Concerned anglers want to ensure that they maintain their access to a public resource. As a recreational fisher, this is a position that I strongly support. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There have been many developments in recent years that have influenced the management of and pressures on BC’s halibut stocks. For example, BC’s commercial halibut fishery changed to 100% monitoring using camera technology in 2006, and has become integrated with the ground fishery. The design of this fishery has ended bycatch waste and depoliticised the allocation of the resource within the commercial sector. At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are currently in a cyclical decline in Halibut abundance on the West Coast, to the point that the current total allowable catch is about half of what it was four years ago. This obviously puts pressure on all users of the resource as they try to maintain their livelihoods and recreational pursuits in the face of decreasing catch. In response to this, it is understandable that people are focusing on who gets access to the fish. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-30-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For more information, please contact: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minister's Office[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Office of the Honourable John Duncan [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Director of Communications[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Michelle Yao[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Michelle.Yao@inac.gc.ca[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Cheers All,

Bafflegab! He obviously has not - or chooses not - to 'get it'. It is NOT about conservation it is about allocation. If this is the best he can do...he needs to be gone...and not now...'butt' right now!

It is about the publics right to access this fish as a Common Property Resource. He supported the original 88/12 - including that we would not be shut down in season (Feb-Dec) and that we could obtain more quote. Both have been broken.

Sorry John Duncan...not good enough...nor FAIR...by a LONG shot!

statement by john duncan mp on halibut allocation

[font=&quot]for immediate release[/font]

[font=&quot]courtenay, january 20, 2011[/font][font=&quot] – in recent weeks there has been considerable discussion on the issue of halibut allocation. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify my position on this issue.[/font]

[font=&quot]concerned anglers want to ensure that they maintain their access to a public resource. As a recreational fisher, this is a position that i strongly support. [/font]

[font=&quot]there have been many developments in recent years that have influenced the management of and pressures on bc’s halibut stocks. For example, bc’s commercial halibut fishery changed to 100% monitoring using camera technology in 2006, and has become integrated with the ground fishery. The design of this fishery has ended bycatch waste and depoliticised the allocation of the resource within the commercial sector. At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.[/font]

[font=&quot]we are currently in a cyclical decline in halibut abundance on the west coast, to the point that the current total allowable catch is about half of what it was four years ago. This obviously puts pressure on all users of the resource as they try to maintain their livelihoods and recreational pursuits in the face of decreasing catch. In response to this, it is understandable that people are focusing on who gets access to the fish. [/font]

[font=&quot]the key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery. [/font]

[font=&quot]a lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique west coast requirements of the first nation, recreation and commercial sectors. [/font]

[font=&quot]-30-[/font]

[font=&quot]for more information, please contact: [/font]

[font=&quot]minister's office[/font][font=&quot]
office of the honourable john duncan [/font]

[font=&quot]director of communications[/font]
[font=&quot]michelle yao[/font]
[font=&quot]michelle.yao@inac.gc.ca[/font]

there you go boys...proof he's a f#&*@king asshole

"[FONT=&quot]At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges)"

LOOK THE F*^#@KING IDIOT HAS CREATED A WHOLE NEW SECTOR TO SUCK UP TO THE COMMERCIAL HALIBUT LOBBY

NO SURPRISES HERE.........
[/FONT]

Statement by John Duncan MP on Halibut Allocation
[FONT=&quot]At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.[/FONT]

There we go with the "Party Line" yet again? What part of "service providers" doesn't he get? Obviously designed to try and keep the Recreational Sector firmly divided. Not this time methinks!
5.gif

[FONT=&quot]
The key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery. [/FONT]

Ummm.. Seems everyone else understands that this is not a "Conservation Issue". Guess he might want to enlighten the Halibut Commission that all of their efforts and conclusions are out to lunch? :confused:

I'd really like to understand just how the giving away of 88% of the TC was based on "Science" and "good management principles" rather than Politics. Laughable were it not so far out there...
1.gif

[FONT=&quot]
A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors. [/FONT]

It has become obvious that DFO has NO interest whatsoever in working with either side of this equation "in good faith". In fact, the divisiveness between the two groups is being actively encouraged, it is a rather strong tactic after all.

We have said all along that the health and sustainability of the resource is indeed priority number one - no argument there. As for "any change must provide a FAIR balance" - that is EXACTLY what this matter is all about: Fair and Equitable distribution of this Common Property Resource! Bloody shame that Duncan fimrly believes that somehow keeping the Recreational Sector throttled back to 12% is somehow Fair?

Given Mr. Duncan won his last election by less than 2,400 votes with a rather small showing of the electorate, methinks the time has come to let him know just how far we collectively exceed that margin, and that his days are NUMBERED!

I will be writing him a response. Will post here once I have done so...

Cheers,
Nog

There we go with the "Party Line" yet again? What part of "service providers" doesn't he get? Obviously designed to try and keep the Recreational Sector firmly divided. Not this time methinks!
5.gif

[FONT=&quot]

Ummm.. Seems everyone else understands that this is not a "Conservation Issue". Guess he might want to enlighten the Halibut Commission that all of their efforts and conclusions are out to lunch? :confused:

I'd really like to understand just how the giving away of 88% of the TC was based on "Science" and "good management principles" rather than Politics. Laughable were it not so far out there...
1.gif

[FONT=&quot]

It has become obvious that DFO has NO interest whatsoever in working with either side of this equation "in good faith". In fact, the divisiveness between the two groups is being actively encouraged, it is a rather strong tactic after all.

We have said all along that the health and sustainability of the resource is indeed priority number one - no argument there. As for "any change must provide a FAIR balance" - that is EXACTLY what this matter is all about: Fair and Equitable distribution of this Common Property Resource! Bloody shame that Duncan fimrly believes that somehow keeping the Recreational Sector throttled back to 12% is somehow Fair?

Given Mr. Duncan won his last election by less than 2,400 votes with a rather small showing of the electorate, methinks the time has come to let him know just how far we collectively exceed that margin, and that his days are NUMBERED!

I will be writing him a response. Will post here once I have done so...

Cheers,
Nog

I really think that everyone in his riding needs to send him & Mr. Harper a letter -I mean everyone of voting age that fishes.Send him a short note, a reminder that if he continues down the path he has choosen he will not be getting your vote-
Mr.Lunney has step up and supported us .Perhaps Mr.John Duncan doesn't value his Job anymore- Bet his Boss Mr.Harper would have something to say.

Do we know of people in each of thoses key area to organize the people-get them the right infomation?

I'm going to be sending an email to both Mr Duncan and Mr Harper in regards to how should Mr Duncan continue to support charter and lodges to buy quota, they will no longer have my family's support and I will do everything in my power to ensure that Mr Duncan does not get re elected.

More than willing to help get this going-Anything I can do:)

Mr.Duncan will be getting my letter tomorrow

Guys-- We also have to make the point PUBLICALLY that his press release is smoke and mirrors..... Write a letter to the editor referencing that John Duncan is blowing smoke... Reiterate that its NOT about conservation. The forecast in two years is for stocks to ramp up again ( the little guys are in the water growing up).... as far as those lousy guides and lodges taking all the fish-- REPEAT until he gets it that all that means is that more Canadians are using a service to access THIER halibut... What part of 88/12 sucks does John Duncan not understand??

To those that have taken the time to let the politicians and DFO know that thier allocation policy is CRAP , I thank you. But a touch of reality--- At the meeting in CR ,Martin Paish from the OBMG, reminded us , that as a group, we are lousy at writing letters-- we wait for the other guy to do it. This has to change if we are to win the battle....... If you write a letter, wait awhile and follow it up asking where the reply is. Keep in the face of this government and let them know that they may lose their Indian Affairs Minister if they dont listen..........

Last edited by a moderator:
you know, Duncan calls the lodges and the charters 'commercial', the commercial guys call the lodges and the charters 'commercial', how about we just settle this now and put them all in the commercial category - they can take away the quota from the slipper skippers and hand them to the charter/lodge group, let the honest hard working 150 +- commercials keep doing their thing, give 12% to the rest of the sport fishing group in the recreational category....everyone (but the slimeballs snoozing on the beach in wads of cash) will be happy.

Harper, Duncan and Shea all got my letters today..

I phoned Duncans office. I let them know I was not happy he did not attend any meetings in his riding about this issue. James Lunney Mp from Nanaimo did attend his riding's meeting (he suppports our cause) . I suggested Mr Duncan get his head out of the sand, if he wants to be around after the next election. Listen to his constituents. We want our right to fish Back. The masses will to do whatever it takes to get that. We are just getting started and Duncan needs to know. Phone his office..here is the number 9.30 to 4pm...Phone: (250) 338-9381 Toll Free: 1-800-667-8404

Note: they also told me Duncan was issuing a press release friday 21 jan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes..
I was told today at 10 am when I phoned that he is issuing another press release on friday Jan 21st..
Keep the CALLS to his office ONGOING!

yep deffinately trying to divide it up, i noticed that as well, believe me, this release was deffinately thought out and calculated, pitting sector against sector with the undertones, not gonna work johnny...holmes*

I agree. Like many of you have commented, what doesn't he under stand that it's a Canadian's right to access these fish. I explained the 88/12 to my 10 year old son, (fishing partner) and he get's it!
Last week Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Gail Shea, and John Duncan received my letter.Tomorrow morning John's office is getting my phone call. I think I'll have my son could explain it to him!
Don't quit letter writing guy's. We need to here something positive from Ottawa.

Yes..
I was told today at 10 am when I phoned that he is issuing another press release on friday Jan 21st..
Keep the CALLS to his office ONGOING!

Maybe his press release will announce his departure from politics :rolleyes:before he gets hammered in the next election. One can only hope he has enough political savvy to read the tea leafs, and turns turtle on his current position. Let's see, how many commercial halibut voters can possibly live in his riding compared to the vastly larger sport fishing community. If we organize early, we can change the political landscape of the north island in a heartbeat. Duncan is DONE unless he wakes up, especially considering the very close margin he had in the last election. It would be easy to swing the vote against Duncan to assure he is out.

Talk to everyone you know and encourage them to send a letter. Doesn't have to be fancy - they don't read them anyway. Just make your points on the Halibut issue and our concerns regarding inequity in the allocation and you are good to go.

Enough is enough, if Duncan can't have the political sense to man up and do what James Lunney has done to support us, then so beit. He has made his bed. Time to start the campaign to dump him.

We need to flood letters to the editor of the North Island papers demanding Duncan's resignation, nothing gets a politician's attention faster than a whole lot of bad editorials in the paper. Seriously folks, that is the way it works. Each day there is a clipping service that searches for political stories and those clippings are usually the first thing politicians read. Writing a letter to the editor of your newspaper is 100 times more effective than a letter to your MP or the PM.

On the flip side, we also need to write letters to the editor praising the position Dr. James Lunney took to support a change in the halibut allocation.

Back